RKIII Should Start for Rest of Season

Not in favor of starting rk3. He might be a slightly better passer than TA, but Tommy is better for the run game. T-Mart is still our best qb IF 100% healthy.

TMart is our best QB at 70%.

No, he isn't...

Armstrong adds another dimension to our offense (option) that we can't do with Taylor or Ron. Beck needs to call better plays to give him a better chance to be successful, and the OL needs to get the push to allow the execution to be there. There was absolutely NO reason for us to throw the ball 42 times in this game. If Beck wants the offense to be successful, he needs to challenge his OL to blow holes open. Armstrong should never attempt more than 20 passes in a game. STICK TO THE RUN!!!

He adds option and subtracts zone read. TA has yet to actually make a good read, most are scripted for him.

Martinez looked better against Minneosta, than either TA or RK3 looked against Northwestern. The difference in the games is a weak Dline for northwestern and improved play from the blackshirts.

You are off your rocker with this I beleive. Taylor is detrimental to this offense when he is unhealthy. The zone read is completely 100% off the table when Talyor isnt healthy, just look at the games he has played while injured. The zone read is not called, or if it is then Taylor audibles out of it into a pass. I'm sorry but Ill take a 100% TA or RKIII over a <100% Taylor. If Taylor starts any games the rest of the year while he is not 100%, we will guarenteed lose that game. I'm a big fan of and have great respect for Taylor but he should only be the starter if completely 100% healthy.

• Fire 1

Not in favor of starting rk3. He might be a slightly better passer than TA, but Tommy is better for the run game. T-Mart is still our best qb IF 100% healthy.

TMart is our best QB at 70%.

No, he isn't...

Armstrong adds another dimension to our offense (option) that we can't do with Taylor or Ron. Beck needs to call better plays to give him a better chance to be successful, and the OL needs to get the push to allow the execution to be there. There was absolutely NO reason for us to throw the ball 42 times in this game. If Beck wants the offense to be successful, he needs to challenge his OL to blow holes open. Armstrong should never attempt more than 20 passes in a game. STICK TO THE RUN!!!

He adds option and subtracts zone read. TA has yet to actually make a good read, most are scripted for him.

Martinez looked better against Minneosta, than either TA or RK3 looked against Northwestern. The difference in the games is a weak Dline for northwestern and improved play from the blackshirts.

Zone read is not Armstrong's cup of tea, but he gained good yardage several times running it on Saturday, including (I believe) on his first touchdown run. Less than healthy Taylor doesn't do a good job on zone read either.

I'm not sure what happened in the 2nd half, but Beck totally lost sight of the option game. The few times that we ran it, it was predictable and not the correct variation of it. Like I have been saying, Beck didn't call a horrible game Saturday. I give him the benefit of the doubt since half of his offense is hurt and holding penalties doomed us in the 4th quarter. Regardless, he's got a LONG ways to go to earn the approval of me and a great portion of Husker fans.

It's weird that people listen to what these game commentators say and take it to heart. These are guys who have to fill three-plus hours of game time with something resembling coherent speech. They're not speaking from a position of authority, they're speaking out of a necessity to speak. Sometimes they say something worth listening to, but most often it's just filler.

I often wonder, as I read threads like this after games, where people come up with these hare-brained ideas they're putting forth. Then I watch the game replays and I hear the source, often word-for-word, from some color commentator trying to fill dead air.

The scary thing is, people take this stuff to heart. Critical thinking is becoming a rare commodity.

This was perhaps the worst announcing I've seen in the last few years. I almost muted the game several times. Idiots.

I'd start Armstrong and take our lumps. Use Kellogg situationally, as we did yesterday. I appreciate Martinez's contributions, but think it's time to turn the page.

And unless we figure out how to recruit and develop quality linemen on both sides of the ball, it doesn't really matter who plays QB for us. Our lines are a complete f'n embarrassment...especially for a school like Nebraska.

You're right. We should just accept losing several games to end the season, instead of putting our best player out there. This is underpants gnome strategy.

I don't think Kellogg is necessarily the best player. Nor do I think that he will win us games as a starter that Armstrong would lose.

Kellogg was 7/15 for 104 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. He had two rushes for 0 yards.

Armstrong was 15/29 for 173 yards with 1 TD and 3 INTs. He also rushed the ball 17 times for 69 yards and a TD.

I think Armstrong has more versatility and is harder for defenses to defend. No doubt we need him to cut down on his mistakes, but as a redshirt freshman, there's a pretty steep learning curve. I would expect him to get better week to week with that. And I'd also prefer to have a starter with more experience going into next year.

Personally, I believe we need to keep rotating TA and RKIII as we are currently. What needs to change is the way Beck calls plays. Just because he puts RKIII in the game doesn't mean we half to change our offensive philosophy and throw the ball every play. Same goes for TA. We don't have to only run options and zone reads when he's in the game.

Regardless of who the QB is, our talent on offense is best used when we run to setup the pass aka play action.

Chuck Long is an Iowa quarterback from back in the day? I'm missing how that gives him a qualified opinion of Tommy/Ronnie.

:dunno

An accomplished QB (second in Heisman voting) from a B10 school, who was also an offensive coordinator isn't qualified to give an OPINION on two B10 qbs?

Really?

But anonymous fans on forums are?

:LOLtartar

Long is a PAID commentator on college sports. Quite qualified.

• Fire 1
Chuck Long is an Iowa quarterback from back in the day? I'm missing how that gives him a qualified opinion of Tommy/Ronnie.

:dunno

He did the color commentary for our game yesterday on BTN.

EDIT: I don't know if that makes him qualified but that's why the poster brought it up.

Finally figured that out after watching the BTN replay today.

It's weird that people listen to what these game commentators say and take it to heart. These are guys who have to fill three-plus hours of game time with something resembling coherent speech. They're not speaking from a position of authority, they're speaking out of a necessity to speak. Sometimes they say something worth listening to, but most often it's just filler.

I often wonder, as I read threads like this after games, where people come up with these hare-brained ideas they're putting forth. Then I watch the game replays and I hear the source, often word-for-word, from some color commentator trying to fill dead air.

The scary thing is, people take this stuff to heart. Critical thinking is becoming a rare commodity.

They get a lot of their talking points from the coaching staff. So when basically every announcer says the same thing about Kellogg's leadership, I'm guessing they're getting it from Bo and the boys.

Chuck Long spent a day and a half in Lincoln, spent maybe 30 minutes chatting with the coaching staff, and he's now a qualified expert on our team.

The same Bo Pelini coaching staff who is always so forthcoming with accurate information.

Pardon me for not doing cartwheels that Chuck Long gave an opinion.

Chuck Long spent a day and a half in Lincoln, spent maybe 30 minutes chatting with the coaching staff, and he's now a qualified expert on our team.

The same Bo Pelini coaching staff who is always so forthcoming with accurate information.

No one asked you to.

• Fire 1

No one asked you to.

What?

We have heard all year that Tommy and Ron are equal. I do not think anyone said we should start Ron for the rest of the year. We claim, on this board that there is no leadership on this team. Who stepped up in the game. I would say Ameer, Ron and Westerkamp made this victory possible.

Nothing against Tommy in anyway, and I agree he is the future, or who ever else is second string next year. He plays hard, quite good at the option, but has not been perfect on the home games he has played. Being in the Big House is different I would think. The experience of our senior back up, may handle it better.

I will have no problem if Tommy starts, because they are so close it seems. But for the current team, this year, this season I think Ron would be a great start next Saturday. It has many advantages to the program, the walk on program and our team. He has been here 5 years, if they are that close, I think he earned a start, just to see what he can do. I have no problem with the rotation set either. Giving him the start will affect a lot of players down the food chain. We need everyone on the team hungry, with the idea there is a chance for them.

Title of this thread:

RKIII Should Start for Rest of Season

• Fire 1

The fact that this is even being discussed is a joke. Taylor Martinez is our best quarterback, period. When he is healthy he deserves to start. His stats are as good or better than anyone else, he has the experience, and it is the right thing to do. Pelini needs to be really careful here. You start doing up seniors like he would be doing to Martinez and it will hurt recruiting a ton. Now, I'm in the camp that believes and hopes that Pelini won't be here next year. Sure, if they win out he stays but the chances of that are pretty slim. We've got the tough part of the schedule left.