For Better or Worse...NEB is Sticking with Tommy Armstrong

I say we stick with Tommy. If Kellogg lit the world on fire I may be more sided to have him start, but I still believe Tommy is the guy. We need a mobile QB to avoid the pass rush with how our O-line is playing since Long has been out.

Armstrong is likely the only choice given Martinez is too injured to play effectively and Kellog seems to be putting on weight by the week...He has a nice arm but almost no mobility.

This is the right move. Both of these quarterback display more pocket awareness than we've seen in the past three years (I feel it's almost obligatory that I have to remind everyone that I give much respect to Taylor's speed as well). The bad reads we'll have to live with; the added dimension to the offense is so important. I don't think Tommy is that fast or has that much burst, but it's abundantly clear that he knows how to run. And Kellogg is our guy for a 2-minute drill no matter what. We're going to miss Ron for that next year.

And to the post above, you don't need mobility if you can feel the pressure and move around in the pocket as these guys did.

Not to mention, both these guys make bad decisions but also throw very good balls and can attack the defense downfield. Especially Tommy. I think Q said in an interview early on in the year that of the three, Ron throws it the hardest and Tommy has the biggest arm.

It won't really matter who starts at QB if the defense shows up the way it did against Minnesota and the beginning of Northwestern.

If we get the post 1st quarter defense against NW, it will be a good game to watch.

Maybe the NW game was the type of game the D needed to gain it's confidence back. The adjustments made between the coaches and players, the 2nd half defensive performance, goal-line stand.......those type of aspects could light a fire for the defense. I really hope it does. Aaaaaaaaand......NEB is going to need Ankrah to keep stepping up if he is going to start and Randle didn't play that bad in the 2nd half...however, I still think Currry/VV/Collins are all better than Randle.

This. We have talent of our defense and they have to be mad about what they have been doing recently and I hope this game "woke" them up and made them realize what they are capable of doing. They seemed like they were flying around from the get go.

I think we should stick with Tommy he can run but he needs to work on zone defense passing and not staring down receivers. I really hope Tmart doesn't play because he seems very beat up.

And to the post above, you don't need mobility if you can feel the pressure and move around in the pocket as these guys did.

What I have noticed a lot is that it appears that both TA and RK3 have better pocket presence than TM. For some reason it always looks like our pass-pro is better when they are in and I would chalk that up to both of them feeling pressure better than TM. QMany did have a good point though awhile back when he said that it could also very well be that they have more orthodox ways of moving around in the pocket than TM does which is why we see what we see.

It won't really matter who starts at QB if the defense shows up the way it did against Minnesota and the beginning of Northwestern.

If we get the post 1st quarter defense against NW, it will be a good game to watch.

Maybe the NW game was the type of game the D needed to gain it's confidence back. The adjustments made between the coaches and players, the 2nd half defensive performance, goal-line stand.......those type of aspects could light a fire for the defense. I really hope it does. Aaaaaaaaand......NEB is going to need Ankrah to keep stepping up if he is going to start and Randle didn't play that bad in the 2nd half...however, I still think Currry/VV/Collins are all better than Randle.

I hope you are right about getting the confidence back

If Taylor plays, we need to use the QB run game the way we did in the first quarter against Northwestern. That's what we should have been doing against Minnesota.

If Taylor's healthy enough to do that, I'd play him. Ron doesn't have the QB run game (which I think we need right now, as beat up as we are), while Tommy has thrown 6 interceptions in his last 8 quarters.

Meanwhile, over the next two weeks, we're not facing Minnesota and Northwestern, we're facing Michigan in The Big House and Michigan State, who arguably has the best defense in the country. If Taylor can be effective, I know he can move the ball on those guys… If it's Tommy and Ron, I'm not sure, but we may find out.

Speaking of O-Line...any chance we have to pull any redshirt/s to shore up the line for the rest of the year? Chongo? Finnin (is he redshirted?)

Might have to now.....heard Cotton has a sprained MCL.....depending on the damage....could be 1 to 2 weeks.......or months.....sounds like it was minor luckily.

This is where you really get iffy if you will. Pulling a RS off of Chongo at this point is a double edged sword. I think Chongo is going to be a good player for us, however I am not convinced that playing a guy in Ann Arbor for his first ever D1 start would be the greatest of ideas.

Don't disagree with that

I am always of the opinion that talent has to trump experience at some point. But you would be setting a kid up to fail in this case in my personal opinion.

This season, POSSIBLY, is not going to end amazingly well. I would prefer, and I feel bad for the seniors while I say this, that we see TA get some experience under center this season in order to build toward the next. Regardless of how the D seemed to play this game, they were still getting ripped up by the run, so I don't see a stellar record come bowl season; that being said, I think the record will be more dependent on the D's performance than the QB's, so let TA get some play time.

I hate to just say, "Let's cash this season in for what we can get out of it, W/L record be damned," but that's kind of where I'm at. If TA get's better and better as the season progresses, that's a sort of success (as long as it pays off next season).

All of the D's troubles are a whole different issue.

You need to go with Tommy at this point. If what we're hearing about Taylor's injuries are true, his career is already over, "day to day" malarky notwithstanding. However, knowing that Tommy is himself a walking interception machine, you need to really plan how the receivers are going to get touches. It can't be by forcing a freshman to become a drop back passer on the road against Michigan. Screens, sweeps, quick routes, play action, pass off the option game. There's your assortment of pass plays. Otherwise, feed Ameer.

Every time I see Mitch Sherman's name I still think of his Amazing Horse intro on the old Kugler-hosted Unsportsmanlike Conduct (back when that show was actually good, remember that? Bishop is a clown plain and simple). Listen to Mitch, Mitch Sherman's amazing!

• Fire 1

What I have noticed a lot is that it appears that both TA and RK3 have better pocket presence than TM. For some reason it always looks like our pass-pro is better when they are in and I would chalk that up to both of them feeling pressure better than TM. QMany did have a good point though awhile back when he said that it could also very well be that they have more orthodox ways of moving around in the pocket than TM does which is why we see what we see.

Maybe I'm missing what others are seeing but I don't get all the praise of TA's "pocket presence". He looked good the first couple games when there was absolutely no pass rush but he has been below average the last couple games when he gets pressured. For sure two of his picks yesterday were mainly because he panicked and was trying to duck away from pressure as he threw and didn't look where he was throwing. Martinez, to me, looked better than ever at Minny - on several occasions he stepped up in the pocket, kept his eyes downfield and found a receiver to throw to. RKIII does a nice job of this but I don't see this as something TA has developed yet.

• Fire 2