beck/tommy

Both need to dial it back a bit. Beck needs to realize he doesn't have his 5th year senior and put tommy in a postition to be successful. Tommy needs to stop forcing throws and value the ball more. Both need to realize AA is their best friend and need to use him more. Maybe its me, but it seems like tommy keeps to often on our various option runs. The kids going to be really good, but hes not there yet

Both need to dial it back a bit. Beck needs to realize he doesn't have his 5th year senior and put tommy in a postition to be successful. Tommy needs to stop forcing throws and value the ball more. Both need to realize AA is their best friend and need to use him more. Maybe its me, but it seems like tommy keeps to often on our various option runs. The kids going to be really good, but hes not there yet

I think Tommy tries to rush things a bit. And in fairness, he had to rush things at points yesterday. But at the same time, there were a lot of plays where Tommy and the receiver weren't on the same page. That can't happen.

I think Tommy's last 2 performances are a result of his quick and early success them first two games and it appears now that he's "feeling it" a bit too much and now he's just trying to force things. Also yesterday, there were numerous throws that "just missed", and it was very apparent we did not have 2 of our 3 top receivers in the game.

I can handle the growing pains with Armstrong because he is showing such potential. I get confused why Beck goes away from the option and the run game in general during the game when it is being so effective. I also like the roll out passing plays with Armstrong to get him moving and give him an option to run if we are covered down field. It looked like the line struggled a little bit with straight drop back passes and he was getting pressure on the interceptions he threw. This is expected with the injuries that we have had and I hope everyone heals up this week. On the offense I just want to see power run formations and control the line, game, and the clock.

As for the defense..the second half was very impressive and it looked like Pap finally discovered the second page of the playbook that includes blitzes. I am a huge fan of blitzing on almost every play especially with as physical of secondary as we have. They looked like they were finally back to having fun and flying around instead of thinking so much. I sincerely hope that this continues for the rest of the year. GBR

Abdullah looked fine to me, and he carried the ball 5 more times than he did against MN (which makes no sense, but that's Tim Beck for ya…). I think the offensive line is a far more limiting factor to our running game right now than AA's health.

AA didn't practice all week because of an ankle injury. He only carried it more than twice in a row once. He's a warrior but he's pretty banged up.

I completely agree with OP. TA is no Jameis Winston and we need to rely on that run game. I know we were down Saturday, but we passed the ball about 40+ times out of the 92 plays we ran. And Armstrong threw 29 of those passes. It's just unintelligent to use him that way especially when we see that he doesn't have the ability to consistently make the decisions we need him to make.

I just said this in another thread. Ameer Abdullah is averaging 7.1 ypc while Cross/Newby are averaging 5+ ypc. If that's not enough incentive to be using your backs more then I really don't know what is.

It's odd that Tommy makes such great decisions on the option and read option, but piss poor passing decisions. I'm guessing his interceptions will go down after this week. Beck will rein him from throwing into tight coverage. Let's hope that happens, anyway. Because there's not another game on our schedule that we'll win if we throw four picks.

I completely agree with OP. TA is no Jameis Winston and we need to rely on that run game. I know we were down Saturday, but we passed the ball about 40+ times out of the 92 plays we ran. And Armstrong threw 29 of those passes. It's just unintelligent to use him that way especially when we see that he doesn't have the ability to consistently make the decisions we need him to make.

I just said this in another thread. Ameer Abdullah is averaging 7.1 ypc while Cross/Newby are averaging 5+ ypc. If that's not enough incentive to be using your backs more then I really don't know what is.

Not necessarily arguing with you but the last 11 plays called were passes (10 attempts plus one sack). Before that, we had 49 rushing attempts and 32 passing attempts (and six of those passes came in the last few minutes of the first half). That's 60/40 rushing up to the point where we basically had to pass. It could be more but that's pretty run-heavy, especially by today's standards. Plus, AA is pretty beat up. Cross and Newby didn't get a lot of chances Saturday but they only averaged 3.0 ypc for the day.

It's maddening how they handle the QB and RB rotations. Maddening.

Edit: I feel as if "Maddening" should be a John Madden reference. Like "Tebowing".

It's maddening how they handle the QB and RB rotations. Maddening.

Edit: I feel as if "Maddening" should be a John Madden reference. Like "Tebowing".

like holding up an imaginary turkery leg and pretending to eat it? there's gotta be something out there for this....

Not necessarily arguing with you but the last 11 plays called were passes (10 attempts plus one sack). Before that, we had 49 rushing attempts and 32 passing attempts (and six of those passes came in the last few minutes of the first half). That's 60/40 rushing up to the point where we basically had to pass. It could be more but that's pretty run-heavy, especially by today's standards. Plus, AA is pretty beat up. Cross and Newby didn't get a lot of chances Saturday but they only averaged 3.0 ypc for the day.

We're usually in that 60/40 range, but personally, I'm not a fan. Even with TM's improved mechanics I never thought he should really be throwing more than 20 times a game. And with TA's inexperience (and six interceptions in the last two starts) I think it's pretty evident the way we're using our QB's and RB's isn't necessarily helping us.

IMHO you play to win now and you can't think about how it's going to affect you down the road. At this point in the season just about everyone is banged up with bumps and bruises, but unless AA or any of our backs are injured (different than hurt) I think we need to be using them in the 70-75% range.