Where is Imani's power? Is he not waiting for blocks?

Cross has been one of my favorite players since last year and I think he has loads of potential. However, it seems to me that ever since giving up a safety a few games back, Cross has been shaken and hesitant when out on the field. Of course that safety came because he took (way) too much time in the back field before running forward. I think lately now he's been overcompensating by running full speed as soon as he gets the ball. When his job is to get touch downs or first downs (as it usually is,) this is fine. But when his job is to run from 1st and 10 or give Ameer Abdullah (the AA battery) a breather (as it sometimes is,) this presents a problem. Why? Because he's giving absolutely no one time to set up blocks, leaving himself to be tackled and the offense to be in 2nd and 9 rather than 2nd and 5 or 4.

The bigger reason why it could be an issue is because like I said earlier, Cross seems to have a lot of potential. If he gave blockers just a bit more time to do their work on first downs, defenders would end up having to take different angles to him. These different angles could be the difference between him bulldozing a guy over (as he's supposed to do on any down) and getting stuffed in on the line of scrimmage (in embarassing fashion.)

The double A battery is playing great and passion, I just think if we had some running backs behind him though churning out atleast 50 yards a piece this offense will have a better chance in November, especially against Michigan state. I mentioned Abdullah's nearest backup, Cross, not waiting for his blocks to establish, but I'm sure you guys have some other ideas why he's seemed under par lately. Let me know what you all think down below~

Cross is a problem. He's not getting it done, period. I just think he is one of those guys who looks the part, but is just too slow. I am really down on him.

When Cross comes in is also when Beck gets pass happy. I would like to see Newby get some carries, and this is also where Braylon Heard hurts.

I agree. He always seems to run into the blockers when he gets the ball. Seems to lack vision. He does look the part, all 40 pull ups and all. But he is slow, no vision and seems hesitant to just blow over people. Just lower your shoulders and run through em!

Could a minor injury be hampering his performance? He has not looked himself in a few weeks. The safety really clouded his animal like judgement I think but thats just as much on Beck really. I think we will see Cross used more this week just because he should help in wearing down their line for later in the game. Hope the beast returns to full form.

I think his problem is that he lacks the burst we are used to seeing from AA. There are huge cutback lanes he could be hitting but he doesn't have the burst the crease them. Even on goal line plays where he should be making his hay, there are a few issues. At times his stride is too long and it makes it easier to stop his momentum. I like the man for who he is but I feel like he is better suited as a fullback.

I think Imani may be going through his 'Gray Hulk' phase, where he's trying to combine intellect (vision) with his strength, and he's improved the former while weakening the later.

Imani probably needs a dose of something...nothing harmful, just low levels of gamma radiation.

• Fire 4

He doesnt run hard for his size, thats the problem.

This.....

He needs to run more like a fullback. He needs to know where the hole is and hit it as hard as humanly possible. He needs to make smaller LBs and DBs dread him coming through the line with a full head of steam.

He doesn't have great vision though. Several times on Saturday he would hesitate trying to make a cut when it appeared he would have at least made a few yards just running straight as hard as he can.

I'm actually wondering if this is more the problem with zone blocking than anything else. In the old days, blocking schemes were the kind where the RB knew where the hole was supposed to be and he could hit it full speed. Today's zone blocking schemes makes the RB read blocks and figure out where a hole is going to open for him to run through. Ameer is VERY good at that. Someone who is a power runner like Cross is going to have a harder time being successful.

The "40 pull-ups" stat that seems to be promoted as a reason that he should be a great player is actually the biggest indication that he'll never be great IMO.

He does have incredible balance though. I'm very impressed by that aspect of his running.

Please explain.

I can see someone claiming that 40 pull-ups doesn't mean he is going to be good. But, I have a hard time understanding how 40 pull-ups is the biggest indication on why he is NOT going to be a good RB.

Muscle fiber type.

An athlete that can do 200 push ups, or 40 pull ups, doesn't likely have the fiber types necessary (Fast Twitch, Type 11b) to be explosive. They would probably have a higher percentage of Type 1 Slow Twitch fibers to be able to produce a long muscular endurance effort.

Similar to the idea that if you have all of your potential RB's run a max effort 1 mile test, your best players will likely finish last (assuming generally equal conditioning and athleticism). Those with Fast Titch fibers will fatigue quickly and finish slowly. Those fast twitch fibers are terrible for prolonged efforts, but essential for short, explosive bursts of power.

It's not that Imani isn't strong, he obviously is, but I question whether he has the ability to produce contractions as quickly as an athlete with more "fast twitch" muscle fiber profiles.

• Fire 3

Cross is a north south runner. Short yardage guy. If it looks like he is running into his blockers it is because he is. He is considerably larger than Ameer. The O-line needs to make that push to create larger holes. If you thought he had blazing speed and shiftiness you obviously were not around for his recruitment. And for Beck to run him laterally was the dumbest idea ever. I can't say that he needs to run harder because he rarely gets beyond 3-4 yards. If you all want to complain about his ability or strength look at the O-line first.