Where is Imani's power? Is he not waiting for blocks?

I think the main problem is the way the runners are used. Beck calls certain types of plays when certain runners are on the field and it isn't fooling anyone. A runner needs to get in the groove and be a threat to do anything, not just be plugged in like a Playstation character. I'm more concerned that backs like Heard and Newby haven't been more successful under this staff and sometimes I wonder if a coach is qualified for his position or they just stuck him there.

What did TA/RK combine for...42ish passes? I think we can find another 17 or so running plays in there, and get Newby/Cross the ball a little more. Just my opinion, but I don't think the QB at Nebraska - especially a freshmen, should be throwing the ball 40+ times. 20-25 max. The fact that we turned the ball over 4 times in the passing game proves the risk is too high right now. The carries are there, if Beck so chooses.

Plus the receiver squad is kind of beat up, isn't it? It does matter whether they're short passes ,which are effectively long laterals, or your throwing the go route every play. We also need to be more creative with the run.

Ron Brown is more than qualified to coach running backs. The funny thing is you hear people calling for our back ups to get more touches while simultaneously saying we need to get AA the ball more. I'd like to see AA getting to the 20 carry mark every game and then dishing out the remaining carries to whoever looked best in practice the last week.

As far as Newby is concerned, he's only a freshman. I think we're so used to seeing dominating freshman right out of high school that we forget most players just aren't that great coming out of high school. Most take time to develop and mature. You watch the way AA ran the ball early in his career to now and it's a night and day difference.

• Fire 1

He needs to be lined up behind the QB who needs to be under center and told to begin the play north-south. Give him 7-10 carries and it will all work out.

We need to stop putting him next to the QB in shotgun and have him going sideline to sideline.

Yeah, Imani's strength is in his ability to run downhill. He's surprisingly shifty for his size, but he's a power runner and never looks at his best when he's being asked to run east and west.

He needs to be lined up behind the QB who needs to be under center and told to begin the play north-south. Give him 7-10 carries and it will all work out.

We need to stop putting him next to the QB in shotgun and have him going sideline to sideline.

I think you're onto something there. TA looks good in that formation and it gives AA a chance to run downhill. The problem is the entire offense has been built on something else and I don't know if they could switch at this point and run the rest of the playbook.

I think you're onto something there. TA looks good in that formation and it gives AA a chance to run downhill. The problem is the entire offense has been built on something else and I don't know if they could switch at this point and run the rest of the playbook.

But that is half the point. You run a couple zone read and option plays a get a couple first downs with a quick tempo offense in hurry up. Then sub in Cross and hit them up the middle after the team is winded.

It is similar to what Oklahoma does with their quick tempo scheme a couple years back.

But that is half the point. You run a couple zone read and option plays a get a couple first downs with a quick tempo offense in hurry up. Then sub in Cross and hit them up the middle after the team is winded.

It is similar to what Oklahoma does with their quick tempo scheme a couple years back.

Attack the boundaries until they have to play honest with their safeties and LBers and then you have them spread out so you can slam it up the middle with your big back.

Muscle fiber type.

An athlete that can do 200 push ups, or 40 pull ups, doesn't likely have the fiber types necessary (Fast Twitch, Type 11b) to be explosive. They would probably have a higher percentage of Type 1 Slow Twitch fibers to be able to produce a long muscular endurance effort.

Similar to the idea that if you have all of your potential RB's run a max effort 1 mile test, your best players will likely finish last (assuming generally equal conditioning and athleticism). Those with Fast Titch fibers will fatigue quickly and finish slowly. Those fast twitch fibers are terrible for prolonged efforts, but essential for short, explosive bursts of power.

It's not that Imani isn't strong, he obviously is, but I question whether he has the ability to produce contractions as quickly as an athlete with more "fast twitch" muscle fiber profiles.

We cannot know a thing until we see what his max bench, squat, and power clean/hang clean are. We also could use his 40 time and his vertical leap (not his recruiting one...but the one he has now).Actually, we would need to see a needle biopsy series to know, otherwise, it's just different forms of guessing.

Just like you said, when you workout one muscle type the other atrophies. I did not say that, nor is it true. It's medically impossible to change fast and slow twitch fibers into each other. True, but IIa fibers will tend to change their characteristics towards the type of stimulus they are accustomed to. There are NO studies in the history of medicine correlating poor power performance with conditioning both muscle types. This sentence displays a lack of understanding of the cell type and physiology involved.

Muscle fiber type.

An athlete that can do 200 push ups, or 40 pull ups, doesn't likely have the fiber types necessary (Fast Twitch, Type 11b) to be explosive. They would probably have a higher percentage of Type 1 Slow Twitch fibers to be able to produce a long muscular endurance effort.

Similar to the idea that if you have all of your potential RB's run a max effort 1 mile test, your best players will likely finish last (assuming generally equal conditioning and athleticism). Those with Fast Titch fibers will fatigue quickly and finish slowly. Those fast twitch fibers are terrible for prolonged efforts, but essential for short, explosive bursts of power.

It's not that Imani isn't strong, he obviously is, but I question whether he has the ability to produce contractions as quickly as an athlete with more "fast twitch" muscle fiber profiles.

We cannot know a thing until we see what his max bench, squat, and power clean/hang clean are. We also could use his 40 time and his vertical leap (not his recruiting one...but the one he has now).Actually, we would need to see a needle biopsy series to know, otherwise, it's just different forms of guessing.

Just like you said, when you workout one muscle type the other atrophies. I did not say that, nor is it true. It's medically impossible to change fast and slow twitch fibers into each other. True, but IIa fibers will tend to change their characteristics towards the type of stimulus they are accustomed to. There are NO studies in the history of medicine correlating poor power performance with conditioning both muscle types. This sentence displays a lack of understanding of the cell type and physiology involved.

Well biopsy aside...the only way to see his power and quickness is to see his power and quickness displayed...which is why I spoke of those exercises etc. Cause and effect is a very good means of determining his power/quickness.

Well you did say that opposing muscle would fatigue and I took that to mean that you know muscle will atrophy if not used...which is an absolute scientific fact. If you use slow twitch only (endurance runners) or fast twitch only (power lifters, etc) then opposing muscle types would suffer atrophy....and this would be evident in performance...as an example, you couldn't ask a marathon runner to hang clean 300 lbs any more than you could have a power lifter run 27 miles.

It really doesn't matter if you think this is not true. Medical absolutes stand on their own through science.

As an example of a medical absolute...you can fast twitch a slow twitch muscle fiber all day long and all night long for 4 years. Guess what it will be after? still a slow twitch muscle fiber

It doesn't change.

We're born with all the fast twitch fibers we'll ever get...which is why some people have more natural ability than others. Perhaps you're right and Imani just doesn't have the number that others do...but I'd be more willing to believe that he just hasn't had his chance to be in the spotlight like Ameer does this year.

My comment on the studies above wasn't to rub your nose in implied ignorance...it was to call attention to the fact that there is no proof that because Imani does push-ups and pull-ups all day long that his performance suffers or that his fast twitch is underdeveloped somehow.

Honestly though, it feels like our data set on him is very limited as he only gets 1 or 2 carries in a series. For me, before I went aroun

Squat, bench are not power exercises. They're strength exercises. The difference is significant, and exactly the point I was making.

Muscle tissue atrophies when it goes unused, obviously. Preferential fiber type atrophy of Type 1 with heavy resistance training, I'd have to see some support before accepting this. Endurance adaptations are mostly enzyme, mitochondrial, and vascular so while aerobic performance may decrease due to those factors, I'd have to see specific research indicating type 1 fibers lose mass (atrophy) under high level resistance training. The opposite is obviously a very different story as Type 2 are recruited secondarily and thus can be avoided by avoiding high threshold activities.

There are MANY variables beyond muscle fiber composition that differentiate an accomplished power lifter and distance runners. To be very good at either one, your genetics have to offer you a favorable fiber type composition.

And I've never said a fiber can change its type. Some characteristics, yes, but not type. Nice strawman attempt.

"My comment on the studies above wasn't to rub your nose in implied ignorance..." LOL... What studies? Did you reference the literature somewhere? BTW, this is not a "medical" discussion about "medical facts". Not all science is "medicine".