The Richie Ingognito situation

mwj98

Different people respond differently to different situations. We wouldn't be hearing anything about this had Martin "toughened up." We also wouldn't be hearing anything about this if Richie didn't go too overboard in Martin's opinion.

I don't know how anyone can say that Richie didn't go overboard. Perhaps this sort of behavior is common or acceptable in NFL locker rooms, but it shouldn't be. You're not going to stop a$sholes from being as$holes or people from hazing each other to some extent, but even going by the voicemail, assuming it wasn't a joke and happened more than once (and Richie has an extended history of asshattery), this stuff is totally unacceptable. If it is somewhat common or accepted, that needs to change.

As far as Martin toughening up, it sure looks like the guy has mental health issues. Most people are able to handle some extent of bullying, and we all deal with jerks on a day to day basis everywhere we go, dealing with that is part of life. Richie's bullying (and we certainly don't know the full story) should not be excused, but Martin was not able to handle it the way some others might have. But that is not a matter of being tough, it is a matter of making sure a person is mentally and emotionally healthy. Trying to force a mentally unbalanced person to "toughen up" is sort of like asking a paraplegic to run a little faster.

Every time there is a mass shooting, we as a society briefly have a dialogue about addressing mental health in this country, but it extends to other areas as well, such as NFL locker rooms, the poor and addicted who are in all of our communities. Martin needed more help. Either someone should have seen the signs and found help for him, or he should have done more to make sure his own issues were known and addressed. A therapist should have been provided to help Martin cope. Instead, if the rumors coming out today are true, the Dolphins assigned a raging douchebag in Richie Incognito to address Martin's issues, which is wholly inappropriate and dangerous.

We have a 'toughness/thin skin' in this country right now, and to some degree this is a magnified example.

We do not see context on the texts or voicemails, and most of us on here being guys, I feel pretty confident in saying if you went though our texts and voicemails with friends, there would be stuff in there that taken by itself, by very thin skinned outsiders would look just about as bad.

'TO BULL'

If you can't see that there are several Dolphins involved by now then you're not paying attention. Last time I checked Incognito didn't try to murder any teenagers by running them down with his car like LP did. Is he a scumbag, probably and I'm not debating that. But so are several others involved is my guess. If you think the voicemail was truly a death threat you're slower than I thought. And if you don't think Nebraska's name is being drug through the mud just listen to who we're being compared to in terms of "locker room culture" or look at all comments under the articles. Like this gem for example.

"Martin went to Stanford, he is a highly evolved human being. Incognito went to Nebraska, he is an animal. See how simple?"

Are you really listening? Or just hearing what you want. LP didn't hurt anyone but himself and that poor girl. RI assaulted a young lady at a team golf tourney with a golf club. Try that crap with my daughter Richie and you'll have to have that club surgically removed from your rectum. T_O_B

'TO BULL'

If you can't see that there are several Dolphins involved by now then you're not paying attention. Last time I checked Incognito didn't try to murder any teenagers by running them down with his car like LP did. Is he a scumbag, probably and I'm not debating that. But so are several others involved is my guess. If you think the voicemail was truly a death threat you're slower than I thought. And if you don't think Nebraska's name is being drug through the mud just listen to who we're being compared to in terms of "locker room culture" or look at all comments under the articles. Like this gem for example.

"Martin went to Stanford, he is a highly evolved human being. Incognito went to Nebraska, he is an animal. See how simple?"

Are you really listening? Or just hearing what you want. LP didn't hurt anyone but himself and that poor girl.

This conversation isn't really about Lawrence Phillips, but I think you are missing a few pages of his rap sheet. He's hurt a lot of people and is a dangerous criminal psychopath.

I have been reading and watching a lot of the coverage of this topic. Not only on here but other news sites. This might be a testament as to how stupid I am but I wanted to weigh in on a couple of things.

1. So we all know that Incognito has had a history of on/off field problems during college and Pro's. Before this incident came to light, he SEEMED to have gotten things under control enough so that he was part of the leadership council at Miami. The coaches there knew of his history and his battles with anger management and other issues but yet of all of the other linemen they could have selected to "toughen up" Martin, they selected him. This was doomed to fail from the word go.

2. Incognito took it way too far in his mission, no doubt. But then again, what did the coaches expect from someone like him?

3. The N word should never be used. By anyone. Ever. There cannot be a double standard for white players vs black players. If he gets in trouble for saying this, he should have a field day with lawsuits.

4. Although the GM probably shouldn't have said it out loud, he is right. Martin should have piss pounded Incognito. Or at least attempted to.

5. The coach should have never put Martin in this situation either.

6. Incognito is going to be tied to this program forever. Just like Ray "I didn't help murder anyone" Lewis is tied to Thug U. We own a player when they do something good. This is just the other side.

7. How did Sean Payton get a big time suspension for "bountygate" when he admitted no wrong and the Miami coach admits to not only condoning but requesting this behavior be part of his organization and he is still coaching?

Personally speaking, I believe both players should continue their careers. Probably not going to be on the Dolphins. I also think that the coach and GM should have been let go a long time ago already.

• Fire 1

I have been reading and watching a lot of the coverage of this topic. Not only on here but other news sites. This might be a testament as to how stupid I am but I wanted to weigh in on a couple of things.

1. So we all know that Incognito has had a history of on/off field problems during college and Pro's. Before this incident came to light, he SEEMED to have gotten things under control enough so that he was part of the leadership council at Miami. The coaches there knew of his history and his battles with anger management and other issues but yet of all of the other linemen they could have selected to "toughen up" Martin, they selected him. This was doomed to fail from the word go.

2. Incognito took it way too far in his mission, no doubt. But then again, what did the coaches expect from someone like him?

3. The N word should never be used. By anyone. Ever. There cannot be a double standard for white players vs black players. If he gets in trouble for saying this, he should have a field day with lawsuits.

4. Although the GM probably shouldn't have said it out loud, he is right. Martin should have piss pounded Incognito. Or at least attempted to.

5. The coach should have never put Martin in this situation either.

6. Incognito is going to be tied to this program forever. Just like Ray "I didn't help murder anyone" Lewis is tied to Thug U. We own a player when they do something good. This is just the other side.

7. How did Sean Payton get a big time suspension for "bountygate" when he admitted no wrong and the Miami coach admits to not only condoning but requesting this behavior be part of his organization and he is still coaching?

Personally speaking, I believe both players should continue their careers. Probably not going to be on the Dolphins. I also think that the coach and GM should have been let go a long time ago already.

I agree with you on all points, but I just don't see how Martin can play in the NFL again. There probably aren't many guys that are going to respect him. And again, I think there are a lot more people involved than Incognito. With the way the lawyer worded his statement, I'm thinking there were at least a few people involved.

I don't know what the big deal is. I think Richie is a very nice fellow. :lol:

Nice find.

I think this is a take from the Dick Butkus/Bubba Smith commercials:

One paper mentioned a letter Richie's father wrote to Huskerboard. Curious to know about it, I found it is still on Huskerboard from 2003:

http://www.huskerboa...ncognito-story/

His dad mentioned the top five schools: Nebraska, Miami, Stanford, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech .

Stanford would have been an interesting choice for Richie, given Jon Martin graduated there.

He mentioned the lack of integrity of the school's recruiting process except for one: Nebraska. Ironically, he singled out "one particular school comes to mind, I won't name it but it is in the state of Florida and you can't go much more south in the state because you run out of land." Not that there is any connection between the school and the pro team.

Miami papers suggest that Richie's worst incidents may be alcohol-induced (and maybe drug) and maybe this is the "bad Richie". The video above and his side that the players stand up for may be the "good Richie".

But one thing is clear: it's Nebraska's integrity that brought Richie to the Nebraska, and it's Nebraska's integrity that kicked him out of the Nebraska..

I don't know what the big deal is. I think Richie is a very nice fellow. :lol:

Nice find.

I think this is a take from the Dick Butkus/Bubba Smith commercials:

One paper mentioned a letter Richie's father wrote to Huskerboard. Curious to know about it, I found it is still on Huskerboard from 2003:

http://www.huskerboa...ncognito-story/

His dad mentioned the top five schools: Nebraska, Miami, Stanford, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech .

Stanford would have been an interesting choice for Richie, given Jon Martin graduated there.

He mentioned the lack of integrity of the school's recruiting process except for one: Nebraska. Ironically, he singled out "one particular school comes to mind, I won't name it but it is in the state of Florida and you can't go much more south in the state because you run out of land." Not that there is any connection between the school and the pro team.

Miami papers suggest that Richie's worst incidents may be alcohol-induced (and maybe drug) and maybe this is the "bad Richie". The video above and his side that the players stand up for may be the "good Richie".

But one thing is clear: it's Nebraska's integrity that brought Richie to the Nebraska, and it's Nebraska's integrity that kicked him out of the Nebraska..

Well said. :thumbs