Fun with coaching salaries!

NUpolo8

USA Today published this list of all college football coaches in the FBS and their respective earnin's.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/coach/

So, obviously no surprise about the top two (Saban and Mack Brown), and a few pretty funny ones (Holy crap Iowa, Penn St, and Arkansas), and then we get to #18, and our ol' buddy Bo.

Now, in no way do I fault anyone for trying to get the most money they possibly can, and Bo certainly entertained a few job offers to get his raises, and good for him, but I find this pretty telling.

I would say that there 8 coaches that make more than him that are inarguably better coaches than him. (Saban, Brown, Sumlin, Stoops, Meyer, Saban, Spurrier and Richt). Further, I would say that there are five others some say could be better (Bielema, Gundy, O'Brein, Hoke and Patterson), but there would be a lot of debate about it (I'd give Bo the benefit of the doubt over most of those) And we can all laugh at Iowa and Tennessee, because Hell, its fun.

But, look at who he makes more than. Names like Petersen. Muschamp. Sweeney, Fisher. Beamer. Riley. Mora. Sarkisian. Helfrich. DAVID FREAKING SHAW. This raises a lot of questions for me.

Obviously, Nebraska has deep pockets compared to a lot of these schools (although I would assume Oregon will be upping Helfrich pretty soon) and their commitment to winning is off the charts. And then you start wondering if your return on your investment is something that is acceptable.

Is Nebraska the 18th best team in the nation? f#*k and no they aren't. (Although that's a pretty facetious argument. But it won't stop a lot of athletic departments from making that comparison)

Are there more coaches better than Bo that are making less than him then there are making more than him? Absolutely. And some of them are in a worse spot for recruiting than Nebraska is, just to end that ridiculous chestnut about why we should give Bo a little bit of slack about some of his drawbacks.

I think that this paints a pretty clear picture that Bo is looking at another "win out" situation dead in the face if he wants to keep his job. And if winning out leads straight to another nationally televised goring, this time at the hands of Ohio St., well all bets might be off as well. There are better coaches out there at programs that cannot compete with us from a funds standpoint. I respect the Hell out of Bo, and have supported him for five years, but this next month will decide if he continues to crack a 3 million dollar nut or is back to being a coordinator again.

• Fire 3

Bret Bielema $5,158,863

Holy cow! Bienema really scored when he ditched the Vadgers. :lol:

As for Pelini. I'd say the pay is about right for NU's football coach. Would I like to see him doing better? Sure. But compare his pay to Ferenz at Iowa. Not bad really, considering the last couple of crappy years the Idiots have had.

Bret Bielema $5,158,863

Holy cow! Bienema really scored when he ditched the Vadgers.

That includes his $1.9 mil buyout.

Really? Then Wisconsin is paying almost nothing for Gary Anderson when you consider what they're getting from the Razorbacks. They're making out like bandits.

Bret Bielema $5,158,863

Holy cow! Bienema really scored when he ditched the Vadgers. :lol:

big dollars, short leash. Arky has been taking some historically bad beatings. If this year goes as bad as it looks now and things are not better next year, you could be looking at guy that is out after 2 years or on a burning hot seat to start year 3

USA Today published this list of all college football coaches in the FBS and their respective earnin's.....

http://www.usatoday....es/ncaaf/coach/

So, obviously no surprise about the top two (Saban and Mack Brown), and a few pretty funny ones (Holy crap Iowa, Penn St, and Arkansas), and then we get to #18, and our ol' buddy Bo.

Now, in no way do I fault anyone for trying to get the most money they possibly can, and Bo certainly entertained a few job offers to get his raises, and good for him, but I find this pretty telling.

I would say that there 8 coaches that make more than him that are inarguably better coaches than him. (Saban, Brown, Sumlin, Stoops, Meyer, Saban, Spurrier and Richt). Further, I would say that there are five others some say could be better (Bielema, Gundy, O'Brein, Hoke and Patterson), but there would be a lot of debate about it (I'd give Bo the benefit of the doubt over most of those) And we can all laugh at Iowa and Tennessee, because Hell, its fun.

But, look at who he makes more than. Names like Petersen. - pay sucks because of the school Muschamp- About to get fired. Sweeney- 50/50 on how good he is. Good run this year but usually playing a weaker sched, Fisher. Beamer- - TO type hasn't asked for more and is underpaid. Riley- about to get fired. Mora - proving this year he's actually a good coach will get a pay raise if UCLA can afford it (they is poor). Sarkisian - no way is he a better coach and about to get ifred. Helfrich. DAVID FREAKING SHAW - hasn't proven if its him or the guy before him yet but should probably get a big raise. This raises a lot of questions for me.

Obviously, Nebraska has deep pockets compared to a lot of these schools (although I would assume Oregon will be upping Helfrich pretty soon) and their commitment to winning is off the charts. And then you start wondering if your return on your investment is something that is acceptable.

Is Nebraska the 18th best team in the nation? f#*k and no they aren't. (Although that's a pretty facetious argument. But it won't stop a lot of athletic departments from making that comparison)

Are there more coaches better than Bo that are making less than him then there are making more than him? Absolutely. And some of them are in a worse spot for recruiting than Nebraska is, just to end that ridiculous chestnut about why we should give Bo a little bit of slack about some of his drawbacks.

I think that this paints a pretty clear picture that Bo is looking at another "win out" situation dead in the face if he wants to keep his job. And if winning out leads straight to another nationally televised goring, this time at the hands of Ohio St., well all bets might be off as well. There are better coaches out there at programs that cannot compete with us from a funds standpoint. I respect the Hell out of Bo, and have supported him for five years, but this next month will decide if he continues to crack a 3 million dollar nut or is back to being a coordinator again.

I would like to point out a couple of things here.

Bo took this job without even having a contract in place for quite some time.

When he did get his contract, it was pretty low IIRC because he wanted to take care of the assistants.

He is one of the winningest coaches over the last 6 years.

Lets look at the coaches you claim make less but are better:

Will Muschamp: Already has as many losses in his first 3 years as HC as Bo did and his 3rd season isn't even finished. No CCG appearances. The only thing he has done is get to a BCS game.

Chris Petersen: Has had some impressive wins against big boy conferences but since he doesn't play against major conference teams week in and week out, no one can say what he can really do. His 2 predecessors didn't do so well once they got into major conference competition. Plus Boise St can't hang with major schools for paying coaches.

Dabo Sweeney: Has a losing season as HC at Clemson. Same number of losses as Bo. Same number of Bowl losses as Bo. Same number of CCG appearances as Bo. Has a loss against Bo. Has one CCG win and one BCS game appearance (loss).

Jimbo Fisher: Probably better than Bo. Was able to get FSU turned around by year 3.

Frank Beamer: I think this is unfair to compare being Beamer has been there since 1987. If his salary is that much lower, that's on him. Not Bo.

Mike Riley: He might be doing more with less at Oregon State. But he has 5 losing seasons there. No CCG appearances. 70 losses in 12 1/2 seasons. That's 5+ per year.

Jim Mora: Other than his 2 wins against Bo, it's too early to tell if he's better.

Sarkisian: Never better than a 7-6 record. No CCG appearances. 1-2 against Bo. 1-2 in bowl games.

Helfrich: Took over a stacked, currently successful program that he was the OC for. Kind of hard to really compare.

David Shaw: Don't know what his salary is since it is a private school. Also, same situation as Helfrich.

So I don't know if as a whole, these coaches are overall better. There are a lot of different levels of success between these coaches. Bo is probably paid right where he is supposed to be with all things considered.

• Fire 5

If some one had time to have real fun with salaries. You should compare all the salaries with their respective cost of living. Being that it is probably a lot cheaper for Bo to live in Lincoln than a lot of the other Big Ten school locations. But I am not completely sure on that. I also am not really sure how you would go about finding that information out.

I would like to point out a couple of things here.

Bo took this job without even having a contract in place for quite some time.

When he did get his contract, it was pretty low IIRC because he wanted to take care of the assistants.

He is one of the winningest coaches over the last 6 years.

Lets look at the coaches you claim make less but are better:

Will Muschamp: Already has as many losses in his first 3 years as HC as Bo did and his 3rd season isn't even finished. No CCG appearances. The only thing he has done is get to a BCS game.

Chris Petersen: Has had some impressive wins against big boy conferences but since he doesn't play against major conference teams week in and week out, no one can say what he can really do. His 2 predecessors didn't do so well once they got into major conference competition. Plus Boise St can't hang with major schools for paying coaches.

Dabo Sweeney: Has a losing season as HC at Clemson. Same number of losses as Bo. Same number of Bowl losses as Bo. Same number of CCG appearances as Bo. Has a loss against Bo. Has one CCG win and one BCS game appearance (loss).

Jimbo Fisher: Probably better than Bo. Was able to get FSU turned around by year 3.

Frank Beamer: I think this is unfair to compare being Beamer has been there since 1987. If his salary is that much lower, that's on him. Not Bo.

Mike Riley: He might be doing more with less at Oregon State. But he has 5 losing seasons there. No CCG appearances. 70 losses in 12 1/2 seasons. That's 5+ per year.

Jim Mora: Other than his 2 wins against Bo, it's too early to tell if he's better.

Sarkisian: Never better than a 7-6 record. No CCG appearances. 1-2 against Bo. 1-2 in bowl games.

Helfrich: Took over a stacked, currently successful program that he was the OC for. Kind of hard to really compare.

David Shaw: Don't know what his salary is since it is a private school. Also, same situation as Helfrich.

So I don't know if as a whole, these coaches are overall better. There are a lot of different levels of success between these coaches. Bo is probably paid right where he is supposed to be with all things considered.

Good response.........

• Fire 1