Are We All Finally Ready to be all "N" with Armstrong?!?

I am jumping into the line for healthy TM over healthy TA.

The guy is a freak in terms of run ability.

That being said.... it's probably moot since TM is not going to be healthy. I feel bad for him. I feel kind of good that TA gets this chance to work in actual football situations for next year. And I am saddling up for what could be a fairly magical ride. I don't know how or why, but this defense is getting REALLY GOOD and REALLY FAST.

P.S. That defense part of the post... that will be what saves Bo's job, if indeed it needed saving.

Of course winning in East Lansing is not close to winning in Ann Arbor, but until that last drive Armstrong had done very little on offense. He didn't reach 100 yards passing until that drive.

Martinez threw 3 picks that game, but he also had 2 passing TDs ran for over 200 yards and had just about 150 yards passing. On those 3 picks, the first one looked bad, but he got hit right as he was throwing it. The second one was trying to get some yards right before half (don't think MSU scored on the ensuing drive) and the last one was a great play/great read by Dennard.

Guarantee Martinez from last year, and I'd pick him to start, but I don't think Martinez will be healthy enough to be the same guy.

Thank you for the genuine discussion, rather than some of the responses from the blind TM pumpers.

I wasn't even looking to discuss Martinez in this thread, this is an Armstrong thread to celebrate what he pulled off and looking forward to a bright future. I purposely did not make mention of TM, but it was amazing how his unwavering defenders grasped for any little excuse to come out of the woodwork and vigorously defend a guy I didn't even want to discuss. I have no idea why we'd want to keep bringing up and pining for a guy who ended his career breaking his toes kicking a locker, when we have Tommy.

So please if you are STILL a Martinez pumper, start a thread for that or relocate to an existing one and keep it over there.

Back directly on topic, we had 130 yards in the first quarter and were up 10-0. That's a 500-yard pace on offense. Then the switch to RKIII, when Tommy had us in a groove. Bad move, it took Tommy and the offense a long time to recapture that groove. I'm not buying the assertion that Tommy had a bad game at all, with such a big personnel gaffe a highly likely contributor. With the ultra conservative game plan and him missing a full quarter, I thought he did exactly what we wanted which was get us 17 points and not turn the ball over.

I think our success has more to do with the focus on Abdullah than any of the quarterbacks. It looks like Martinez is done for the year. Should RKIII play? Kind of tough to shut him out now....glad I don't have to decide. Both Armstrong and Kellogg have had stretches where they struggled mightily.....I'd just play the hot hand and forget the system, I guess.

It's the biggest part of this whole qb situation that seems to get disregarded when defending Martinez. The guys wanting Armstrong are doing so based on the fact that Taylor is hurt. He's not 100% and we all know now that he hasnt been and has been completely ineffective as a runner because of such since the season's opening kick. We guys notate that when we call for Armstrong. I also continuously point out that the defense seems to play with a bit more fire with Tommy playing qb. It's obvious they have a higher level of confidence and motivation for a healthy QB that can manage the game as opposed to an athlete playing qb who basically has his legs removed. This is not Taylor-bashing. It's pointing out facts. Just look at how the games have gone with each guy. The team responds to Tommy-fail or succeed-for some reason or another.

If Taylor gets to 100%, we go with him. But that's not gonna happen. It's just not. And, at this point, I dont know that even 100% is worth disrupting the chemistry that is developing right now for a guy that's played in just 1 game in 8 weeks time.

• Fire 1

As far as Kellogg goes, if TA is completey out of whack and nothing is working, then yes, give Kellogg the shot. I know they feel like they owe the guy something, but the timing of his insertion over these games is just mind-boggling bullsh#t. Total incompetence shown by the staff. Take the opening kick, drive half the field and punt. Get the ball back, drive for fg. Get the ball back drive for TD. Whoap. time to bench the qb now so our 5th year senior can get his time in. It's crap. Total crap. And we saw the result. It just threw the whole O for a loop. Our offense was in a rythm and feeling it and Kelloggs insertion seemed to take away from that. Who knows what woulda happened if Tommy is left in with the rythm they were building. We mighta just ran em out of their own stadium for all I know. It just changed the entire dynamic of what we were doing successfully and took away a whole dimension offered by Tommy's feet. This stuff has to stop.

• Fire 1

A healthy TM would still be our best option but we aren't likely to see that. Might be healthy for the bowl but I doubt TA is pulled at that point.

As far as RK goes I'd say he should get back to holding a clipboard. TA settled-in nicely today and it seems Beck is tailoring the O to him better. Plus with our line depleted we need mobility back there. If TA struggles then look at bringing RK in.

I think our success has more to do with the focus on Abdullah than any of the quarterbacks. It looks like Martinez is done for the year. Should RKIII play? Kind of tough to shut him out now....glad I don't have to decide. Both Armstrong and Kellogg have had stretches where they struggled mightily.....I'd just play the hot hand and forget the system, I guess.

Good comments, I was thinking in terms of how to manage the two (healthy) QB rotation going forward rather than inciting the side debate that followed (wow). I hope we'll see the "hot hand" approach, I think this staff tries to script things out a bit too much as evidenced by a tendency to appear outcoached during games, even when it comes to simple adjustments.

I think for going on ten years now I've been saying attack on defense and run more option, LOL.

OK I think we have a consensus!

TA is the man for the rest of the season.

RKIII comes in for spot relief as needed should TA falter.

TM gets the bowl if healthy to reward his great career.

I'm going to add here: this thread from here on is based on the assumption of an unhealthy Martinez until the bowl game. If someone wants to debate 100% healthy TM vs. TA (who may not be 100% himself), feel free to start a thread for that as it's become really tiresome to hear about.

• Fire 1

Oh and another little nugget that folks need to be reminded of is the that over these last two games now, Tommy has not had the convenience of a full 1st team offense to work with either. He's been doing it with a full blown MASH unit on the offensive line and at receiver. No Jamal Turner. No Spencer Long. No Jake Cotton. Most of today was no Jeremiah Sirles. Off and on Kenny Bell. Westerkamp was hobbled most of today.

• Fire 1

Yes, I'm sure TA even makes the punter play better... Derp.

Again, that was a sarcastic smart ass remark to support my thoughts. I stated as such. You must be completely ignorant to the game of football if you think the presence of certain players dont affect the mindset, confidence and attitude of guys on the other side of the ball. Have you ever even played the game before? And as if that dont matter, if you cant see it that way with this team and defense this year, then there's just no help for you.

I would love for Taylor to get healthy and prove me wrong, but it's not happening, so you might as well move on, and admit to me being right.

• Fire 1

What I saw today is more of team than I have seen this year. Tommy has to have some part of that. Taylor is hurt, and most likely much worse than we know. I also agree that we start Tommy over RKIII and keep him in the game until he shouldn't be. We need to start moving on, and it hurts me to say that. I have been one of Taylor's biggest fans since he started. I just do not want to see him or any Husker hurt, and playing with all the problems the kid has could really get him hurt.

Yes, I'm sure TA even makes the punter play better... Derp.

Again, that was a sarcastic smart ass remark to support my thoughts. I stated as such. You must be completely ignorant to the game of football if you think the presence of certain players dont affect the mindset, confidence and attitude of guys on the other side of the ball. Have you ever even played the game before? And as if that dont matter, if you cant see it that way with this team and defense this year, then there's just no help for you.

I would love for Taylor to get healthy and prove me wrong, but it's not happening, so you might as well move on, and admit to me being right.

Wow, that's some serious butthurt. It was a joke, settle down. Take your meds.