Excluding coaching changes, what repairs are needed?

Hercules

I know this isn't the '90's but I don't remember NU fumbling the ball this much in the past-what did they do to work on ball security? Was it the way they carried the ball in the first place? (e.g the ball was secured before they started to run?)

Is it possible for us to hire more staff? Maybe we need a coach that is just dedicated to special teams.

Have thought the same thing as the OP, other than firing (not sure if that would help) what can we do.

a) Identify a dedicated ST coach. We are non-existent in the return game and have been for some time now.

b) Look into establishing an identity on O. We are too multiple. Not in formations like TO ran, but multiple in that we do nothing well.

c) Look at other higher echelon schools and see how they practice. Adopt these. Maybe we practice "soft".

d) Look at our S&C program. This year we seem hit with the bug. Perhaps it is stretching or recovery. Yoga, Pilates, I have no idea

e) Really examine the use of old balls. On tv they look slick.

g) Hire a full time recruiting staff like Bama. We have the money. Spend it.

h) Do we have room to hire a ST/QB coach. We could really use a QB coach.

i) If we plan to use the option, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Get great at it and it will pay dividends. If we won't get great at it, ditch it. Timing becomes a huge issue.

Ditch the Up-tempo O. It only hurts us and our D. It is about as effective as our punt returns.

The offense, on the other hand, is in need of a change IMO. This experiment has run its course.

This experiment just put up 400 yards on the best defense in the nation with our starting QB, 1/2 OL, and WR injured DESPITE 5 turnovers. I don't know if you could ask for more out of the offense.

Yards don't count.

How about points? We put up 28 on the best defense in the nation, the most they gave up all year and more than double their previous points-per-game allowed, DESPITE five inexcusable turnovers and half our starting offense hurt. I'd say the experiment worked.

Yards don't count.

How about points? We put up 28 on the best defense in the nation, the most they gave up all year and more than double their previous points-per-game allowed, DESPITE five inexcusable turnovers and half our starting offense hurt. I'd say the experiment worked.

I dunno, Pensick seems to be better than Cotton at that guard spot, and Sterup already seems to be just as good as Sirles, and clearly better than Rodriguez. The version of the O-line we trotted out there yesterday was the best version yet. Don't think our success moving the ball happened despite all that. It happened largely because of the new starting lineup.

And both of our starting WRs were out there, yes?

I don't know if it is contact at practices at fault, there was very little contact in the 5 TO we had today.

Then whats needed, in your opinion?

I know what's needed, ball security. I just don't know how to fix it.

I know how to fix it. You run 1 miles of bleachers for every turnover. You do 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups, 100 dips, 100 pullups ... for each offense. You do this in game 1 of the season. You increase this by one mile and 100 reps throughout the season. You coach like Herman Boone. "How many feet are in a mile? 5,280 feet! You pick this ball up and run every one of 'em! You're killing me, Petey! You're killing me!"

Bo needs to go "old school" on this crap. This isn't "year one" of the Pelini Era. This lack of discipline has been the "hallmark" of every team. It does not change. If TM was in ... he would do the same thing. When these guys are freshman ... they make freshman mistakes. When they are seniors ... they make freshman mistakes. It never changes.

The offense, on the other hand, is in need of a change IMO. This experiment has run its course.

This experiment just put up 400 yards on the best defense in the nation with our starting QB, 1/2 OL, and WR injured DESPITE 5 turnovers. I don't know if you could ask for more out of the offense.

The offense also lost the game for us. Did they put up 400 yards? You bet they did. But if not for 1) turning the ball over and 2) going away from the run all the time which was getting 6 yards per carry, they could have put up 600. Did they put up 28 points? Sure, great. They also gave away 24 points to MSU, and 7 of our 28 were scored in garbage time against a defense that was playing half-speed because the game was in the bag.

Look beyond basic stats, and you will realize that it's time for an OC who has at least a decent feel for play-calling. Beck showed a lot of promise his first year, and now he just tries to get too cute with his play calling, and it flat out does not work.

Have thought the same thing as the OP, other than firing (not sure if that would help) what can we do.

a) Identify a dedicated ST coach. We are non-existent in the return game and have been for some time now.

b) Look into establishing an identity on O. We are too multiple. Not in formations like TO ran, but multiple in that we do nothing well.

c) Look at other higher echelon schools and see how they practice. Adopt these. Maybe we practice "soft".

d) Look at our S&C program. This year we seem hit with the bug. Perhaps it is stretching or recovery. Yoga, Pilates, I have no idea

e) Really examine the use of old balls. On tv they look slick.

g) Hire a full time recruiting staff like Bama. We have the money. Spend it.

h) Do we have room to hire a ST/QB coach. We could really use a QB coach.

i) If we plan to use the option, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Get great at it and it will pay dividends. If we won't get great at it, ditch it. Timing becomes a huge issue.

Ditch the Up-tempo O. It only hurts us and our D. It is about as effective as our punt returns.

1. Special teams is fine. You should not expect punt returns and a fumble or two per game is average for ST.

2. Multiple is our identity. Look at how great it works. You know better than Beck? I love doing 100 different things halfway decent. It's a lot better than doing a few things great. Who want to watch an offense that just lines up and executes anyway? BORING.

3. We practice hard. The coaches and players say so. You aren't in practice are you? Nope. I guess we have to take their word for it.

4. SnC best in the country says the national board of rating strength and conditioning programs which just did a study recently.

5. Use of old balls?

6. Why spend that kind of money in recruiting, we win nationally televised games, we play for CCG and look competitive in them, and we have a top notch recruiter in Bo Pelini. Plus, if we spend that extra money, we couldn't afford to make Beck the highest paid coordinator in the conference, which he is.

7. We have a qb coach. Bo Pelini is a master of the position. As he is with everything. I believe he was quoted last year, I haven't forgotten how to coach defense and quarterbacks too.

8. Ditch the up tempo? Ummm, do you watch Oregon? They put on fancy colored uniforms and fly around out there. TE rest of the country is following suit. Clearly the pretty uniforms help quite a bit, if Nebraska would just wear some neater stuff, this offense would work much better. Probably just like Oregon. Alabama huddles but who cares, what has Bama done lately, nothing.

There is no way that is the best defense in the nation (no matter what the stats say). But I do agree that offensively we moved the ball decently with a depleted unit. Without the turnovers we likely would have had some really impressive numbers on that side of the ball.

Maybe the answer is contact at practices ... until we get key players injured in practice and it is Bo's fault.

At some point, players have to take some responsibility.

How would contact fix 4 unforced turn overs?

I think by more contact he means more HUGS.

BigHugsElmo.jpg

And lollipops for the kiddos.