Pelini Predictions

That's probably why they shouldn't offer Frost. He's basically the same candidate Bo Pelini was in 07

I am not advocating this in any way, but can someone tell my why Jim Tressel's name gets thrown out there a handful of times?

He's not coaching anywhere, he lead osu to three NCG in 9 years, great recruiter, his teams don't make mistakes. Just not sure what his avaibility is because of NCAA sanctions.

Winning nine games doesn't mean sh#t. Anybody who uses the 9 or 10 or 8 or 11 number of victories as a barometer on whether to retain or fire a coach, doesn't have a clue about what's important and what should be looked at.

Hes saying the new coach better win at least nine games his first year. If he doesn't, what was the point in firing Pelini for a worse coach. What the hell kind of sense does it make to hire someone worse than before? But its exactly whats gonna happen and when we change coaches again in 5-6 years, the process starts all over again.

I don't need that point of view explained. I understand it and it is what led to my comments. Any number of wins or losses doesn't mean anything until you consider how they we're acquired and against what level of competition. Personally, I think that number this year should be 10 or 11 considering who is on our schedule. Look at it this way, if we played Southern Miss, or their equal, every game, how many should we win? And then you have to consider how we play in those games. So, if we win them all but just squeek by in four of them, should that be considered as good as playing a couple Bamaesque teams, losing both, but playing very well while losing? Like I said, winning 9 games doesn't mean sh#t.

You really expected 11 wins with a defense that most starters had no experience and after TM got injured?

No, my 11 was based on our competition and did not factor in injuries, but thanks for making my point for me. There is much more to be considered than simply winning 9 games per year. That stat, minus any other context, could simply mean nine other teams didn't have any reasonable expectation of actually winning. Of course teams will have good games and bad games and mess with that a bit but it is still a valid point. We can't just sit back and forever think nine wins is always good enough. It might be seven and it might be eleven. That goes for Bo and it also goes for any possible replacement. So saying the next guy (if or when there is one) has to win nine or the change is a failure is false.

Try reading the post Sker, were our 9 wins quality wins. Were they crap. My guess is the other three that we compare ourselves to, were considerably more taxed and faired better against other quality teams.

Would like to see the breakdown.

Like I said, I am not tearing down Bo, he does a good enough job of that himself. I want answers, not Bo is great and you are bad quy for questioning where we are?

If our wins are good wins, comparative to the others, then it is something to be drug out every other post, if they aren't what the hell do they mean?

Bama knocks of LSU

Nebraska beats Southern Miss

Pretty much the same in the win column on this board it seems.

I have said I think he has earned another year, but I do not think we should be afraid to fire him if that is what the AD decides. We seem like a battered wife here.

There's an entire thread dedicated to your question.....including some numbers breakdowns about the miniscule number of programs who have won at least 9 games the past 5 seasons. And nice job of not tearing down Bo, then tearing down Bo.

That's probably why they shouldn't offer Frost. He's basically the same candidate Bo Pelini was in 07

I am not advocating this in any way, but can someone tell my why Jim Tressel's name gets thrown out there a handful of times?

Probably because its easy. But I'm pretty sure if he were the coach next year, a coordinator would be coaching until I think the Michigan St game. So no road game at Fresno and no Miami game.

And he carries quite the cheater rep with him.

But man it would fry Bo, and that would be enough for some here.

with a lot less experience...

Not true.

You're being serious, right?

Scott's been a coach, on the college level since 2007, where Bo has been a coach on the College and Pro level since 94...

Some know how bad things were under Callahan, and seem to be fine with 9 win seasons every year.

Let me make something crystal clear. I'm not fine with 9 win seasons. I look forward to conference championships and national title hunts. What I am impressed with is that Pelini has come in and accomplished what he did....as in consistently winning 9 games and getting to bowls after Callahan had losing seasons in 50% of his tenure here. Pelini changed that immediately. Then, the learning curve started. Recruiting suffered, and I would be the first to say Pelini's inexperience was the primary factor in this. Our defense struggled the past couple of years because of a talent issue......then injuries made that talent gap even wider by late in the season. Most of us fully understand how important both sides of the LOS are. The depth and lack of drop-off on our offensive line is impressive right now. The way we ran the ball on Michigan State is impressive. Period. Our defensive line once again has NFL caliber talent at more than one position. So even while maintaining consistency at 9+ wins, Pelini has built depth and greatly improved our talent level. Pelini has his sights set on bigger things than 9 wins, but it's impressive that Nebraska hasn't had the erratic nature in the W/L column that over 115 of the other D1 programs have endured.

I'm not disagreeing with many of your points, and have said many times before that Pelini turned around the program after the Callahan era. Bo was successful in that. BUT, and this is the key, he has shown no signs of taking that turnaround to the next level. He peaked with the 2009 team, in what should have been a victory over a top 2 team at the time, and since then has continued to underperform against top teams. If you are assessing the coaching performance results on a 10-point scale, and Callahan would have been a 4 or 5, Bo has raised the bar and is a 6.5 or 7 on a scale of 10. Some in here seem to be fine with that. Others don't believe he has what it takes to get back to a 8.5 or above out of 10, and hence the disagreement between the two sides.

Not true.

Scott's been a coach, on the college level since 2007, where Bo has been a coach on the College and Pro level since 94...

I think Frost's experience on both sides of the ball in the NFL counts for something. Obviously not the same as coaching, but it's definitely experience Bo doesn't have and experience is experience.

• Fire 1

Basically I am just tired of everyone bitching about every loss.

If the AD and chancellor want to fire BP I am fine with that, but Echorst (sp) better have a very good replacement in mind that he is about 85% sure is going to take the job.

That replacement IMO better win a minimum of 9 games in his first year or then there really was no need to fire Pelini.

Ya, if Bo goes 9-3 and you want to make a move you better have gone through channels and made damn sure you can bring home a bigtime hire. You don't can him to take a flyer on Scott Frost. Folks have thought he could be our Kingsbury. Kingsbury was more qualified than Frost and all he's proven is that he can beat a series of bad teams then lose to a series of good teams.

Not true.

I think Frost's experience on both sides of the ball in the NFL counts for something. Obviously not the same as coaching, but it's definitely experience Bo doesn't have and experience is experience.

If "experience is experience", wouldn't the fact that Bo has been coaching since 94 mean more than somebody who's been coaching since 07? Not too mention, since he's had to coach defenses, you'd think he'd have figured out a few things about offense since then...

I think the 9 wins matter to an extent. Many of us sit here and scoff that it's only 9 wins, but I don't care what conference you play in - winning at least 9 college football games is by no means an easy task to accomplish.

Our problem, of course, is a visible lack of progression and repeating errors over a few years. It's getting to the point where, obviously, many feel that 9 win benchmark isn't good enough. And I'm seeing progress with many parts of this team, quite a bit of that progress being hindered by youth. Then again, when there wasn't youth, many of these same mistakes existed.

It's a really dicey situation right now.

Basically I am just tired of everyone bitching about every loss.

If the AD and chancellor want to fire BP I am fine with that, but Echorst (sp) better have a very good replacement in mind that he is about 85% sure is going to take the job.

That replacement IMO better win a minimum of 9 games in his first year or then there really was no need to fire Pelini.

Ya, if Bo goes 9-3 and you want to make a move you better have gone through channels and made damn sure you can bring home a bigtime hire. You don't can him to take a flyer on Scott Frost. Folks have thought he could be our Kingsbury. Kingsbury was more qualified than Frost and all he's proven is that he can beat a series of bad teams then lose to a series of good teams.

How, exactly, is Kingsbury more qualified than Frost?