Pelini Predictions

That's probably why they shouldn't offer Frost. He's basically the same candidate Bo Pelini was in 07

with a lot less experience...

Not true.

You're being serious, right?

Scott's been a coach, on the college level since 2007, where Bo has been a coach on the College and Pro level since 94...

I think Frost's experience on both sides of the ball in the NFL counts for something. Obviously not the same as coaching, but it's definitely experience Bo doesn't have and experience is experience.

I think you said it all when you said "not the same as coaching." He played pro ball. Awesome. That is something that nobody can take away from him. But that in no way equates to coaching knowledge.

There was nobody that questioned that Bo was worthy and deserving of a shot as a HC when he was hired. He had enough experience and success that he was deserving of a promotion. The same cannot be said about Frost.

• Fire 1

That's probably why they shouldn't offer Frost. He's basically the same candidate Bo Pelini was in 07

with a lot less experience...

That doesn't make any sense. They're not the same person. Bo has made mistakes, especially when picking his staff, that nobody should ever make. You don't hire your buddies or your brothers when they're not qualified. Bo also hasn't improved one iota in those six years. Stupid penalties. Turnovers. Bad game plans. Bad recruiting classes. Bad losses. Bad wins. Time to shake his hand and wish him luck at his next destination. I'll even put on my Big Red lipstick and kiss his ass out of town.

Scott may or may not be the answer. I don't know. I don't know him. I'd take him if he answers questions the way I'd want him to if I were Eichort. A young, energetic coach with new ideas may be exactly what our program needs. It may also need an older guy with a steady hand and a well known, winning background. That's why there's an interview process.

Oh trust me there were people questioning his qualifications to be the Nebraska head coach, and it was not just me. He was not qualified, and still is not qualified. But Scott Frost is not qualified either by any stretch of the imagination. Hiring another new trainee, would put this program so far down the crapper it would not be funny.

• Fire 1

Bottom line for me, if we fire Bo, we need to have a proven commodity who has committed and already has his experienced staff lined up. It needs to be a guy who comes in and gets AT LEAST 9 wins, beats quality opponents, gets into and wins the conference, doesn't lose to anyone not ranked, beats ranked teams, understands the NU culture, has an offensive and defensive identity, develops ST's, won't get fumbles, penalties or missed tackles, embraces the fans, the media and former players, stays for the remainder of his career, until the fans deserve better and can out recruit the SEC for the blue chip kids. That should just about do it..........

I'm just wondering if we win out, bowl game included, if these "9 win" discussion turns into a "10 win" discussion, since Bo will have won 10 games in 4 of his 6 season, and that 10 wins would be his benchmark and not 9. It's always about 9 wins this, 9 wins that, when he's actually won 10 games in 3 of his 5 seasons, and still a shot at 10 for a 4th time.

I'm just wondering if we win out, bowl game included, if these "9 win" discussion turns into a "10 win" discussion, since Bo will have won 10 games in 4 of his 6 season, and that 10 wins would be his benchmark and not 9. It's always about 9 wins this, 9 wins that, when he's actually won 10 games in 3 of his 5 seasons, and still a shot at 10 for a 4th time.

Zero chance he gets fired if he reaches 10 wins.

I think we are making headway, slower than we would like but headway never the less. Due to the injuries we have had a lot of back ups are getting great experience at the real game level and the injuries could be a blessing in disguise. The team should and must be considerably better next year. I also think Bo stays for at least one more year but Beck and hopefully the S&C coach should be the sacrificial lambs. The loss to Minnesota, the should have been a loss to Northwestern and the melt down by the offence in the MSU game require these changes. Should Bo decide that there are greener pastures elsewhere or if Eich just decides to, for one reason or another, pull the plug then I would throw this name into the pot of candidates:

Ed Orgeron, interim head coach at USC. It appears that Pat Hayden wants Jack Del Rio and that Orgeron won't be offered the Head Coach job, no matter how much he deserves it. He has experience and is doing a very good job after coming into a very bad and uncomfortable situation.

<p class="kno-card">

•  

Edward Orgeron Jr. is an American college football coach. Orgeron previously served as the head football coach of the Ole Miss Rebels from 2005 to 2007.

T_O_B

Honestly I think the decision has already been made. Either in Eichorst's mind, or in Pelini's mind. I truly believe that either Eichorst has told Bo that he will get another year, with staff changes in mind, or he has already informed Bo that he will be let go at the end of the year regardless, or Bo will resign on his own. Two games @ Penn State and vs. Iowa will not determine it. I doubt Bo would even get the bowl game to show anything.

The only reason why I say this, is because there has been NO public support from either Eichorst or Perlman on the issue. Down in Gainesville, the Florida Athletic Director came out in public support of Will Muschamp, saying that he is the future, he is doing great things, etc. They know who they want their coach to be, but we don't see that same public support for Bo.

Now I know Eichorst is a behind the scenes guy, and states that if no one knows his name then he is doing his job, so maybe that's how he operates. However, with recruiting possibly sufferring from this, and just the negativitiy of a dark cloud over the program, Eichorst could solve all of this with a public statement in support of Bo. But we have not seen that and I don't think we will.

We all know Perlman is NOT a Bo fan. What he did after A&M in 2010 was complete bull*hit. If anything, you keep that in-house. You don't go running to the camera complaining when you are the Chancelor of the University and not the Athletic Director. Thank you for getting us into the B1G Ten Harvey, now please STFU and step away from the scene and worry about running UNL. The only reason why he still has his job is because he saved his own by firing Pederson.

Another reason why I think the decision has been made to move on, is there HAS to be a plan in place to find the coach that Eichorst wants. You don't want to "Steve Pederson" this decision by waiting until after Iowa, and then start putting out feelers and interviews and finally hire a coach in January 2014, much like the Bill Callahan debacle. A good athletic director always has a short name of candidates so he can put out feelers before the decision is even made, and it's an emergency list of "just in case" something bad were to happen to whoever the head coach is. Right or wrong, even if we win out, that is what it feels like to me is going on.

I have no sources or anything of that nature, this is just what it "feels like" to me. I have been a staunch Bo Pelini supporter, but after Minnisota, I was a Bo-leaver. I was willing to tollerate him until the end of the season. Then the defense started playing better, and the win in Ann Arbor was huge. I figured at that point, he gets one more year will all the youth and injuries.

If Pelini gets one more year will be based on a few factors: The defense is playing better. The offense is banged up. There is young talent across the borad to make a SERIOUS deep run next year.

I am ALL FOR giving Bo Pelini one more year, even with his current staff, or even a few more years with changes made. But to me, I don't think he is going to get that chance. Either he will resign and save face, or Eichorst will replace him after Iowa and have a candidate ready shortly after to take over before Christmas to salvage a recruiting class.

I still think it was wrong to fire Frank Solich in 2003. I believe it will be wrong to fire Bo Pelini in 2013. I believe Bo has earned at least one more year. But with all the talk, all the feelings I have from administration, I do not think he will get that chance. After Tapegate came out, I think Eichorst and Perlman were done with him then and have been putting out feelers ever since. Again, just my opinion, no sources or leads, just my gut insticts.

In 2003, the program was trending slightly upwards, even with the blowout vs. Kansas State. They showed toughness in Boulder, after returning there from the 2001 beating. In 2013, the program is trending slightly downward, with all the drama, close calls, and everything else.

I am Pro-Nebraska, not Pro-Coach or Pro-Player, I want what is best for Nebraska. I do believe there are people who could do better than Bo, but at what cost?

90% of what Bo does I love. It's the other 10% that is just maddening and makes you wonder what he is thinking.

• Fire 2

Basically I am just tired of everyone bitching about every loss.

If the AD and chancellor want to fire BP I am fine with that, but Echorst (sp) better have a very good replacement in mind that he is about 85% sure is going to take the job.

That replacement IMO better win a minimum of 9 games in his first year or then there really was no need to fire Pelini.

Ya, if Bo goes 9-3 and you want to make a move you better have gone through channels and made damn sure you can bring home a bigtime hire. You don't can him to take a flyer on Scott Frost. Folks have thought he could be our Kingsbury. Kingsbury was more qualified than Frost and all he's proven is that he can beat a series of bad teams then lose to a series of good teams.

How, exactly, is Kingsbury more qualified than Frost?

He has three years of OC experience to Frost's one. Granted two of those seasons were as co-OC at Houston but in Frost's one he inherited a well-oiled machine with a scheme in place and having heavy input from Helfrich.

IMO if you can Bo for 9-3 you better bring in a proven HC or highly proven coordinator to replace him. Trouble is we could run into a toxic '03 situation where coaches question taking a job where the expectations are very high and regional talent level is low. Frost might be all we could get. IMO if Eichorst is thinking of making a move he better be going through channels to find out who'd take the job. Maybe Frost would be great but I'd like a more sure thing since a new coach means a several-year commitment.

i honestly think there is no wrong answer. i think bo could be fired and that would be justified. or bo could get one more year to demonstrate that he can put a good product on the field and that would be justified. it is an odd situation, and i think that is what makes it so challenging. but eichorst needs to realize that he will be justified either way and just go with it.

i also think that the decision, regardless of what it may be, should be decided by now. we know enough already.

edit: and in a weird way, bo may have saved his job with that loss. although, this is finally a team i would like to see in a ccg, there is still the very real possibility that we would have gotten blown out and that would have been bo's death knell.

Take this for whatever you think it's worth, but.............

This weekend I was told by a guy who has been pretty accurate in the past before things go public that the difference now is that the money is there (via boosters) to buy out Bo's contract.

If true, that provides a different dimension to the discussion.

My view is that to be 100% sure he returns, Bo needs to win out.

(also some speculation that he may not want to return)

Take this for whatever you think it's worth, but.............

This weekend I was told by a guy who has been pretty accurate in the past before things go public that the difference now is that the money is there (via boosters) to buy out Bo's contract.

If true, that provides a different dimension to the discussion.

My view is that to be 100% sure he returns, Bo needs to win out.

(also some speculation that he may not want to return)

I have heard some mixed things that resembled what your chiming.......

Honestly, if Bo goes.......fine with me. I would love to see what he can do with the team next year, but damnit, we same the same ole, same ole blowout losses, the "wtf moments" and the "are you kidding me?" type games. I want Bo to succeed.......but if he doesn't want to be here, fine with me. I would like to see NEB grab Gary Anderson from Wiscy IMO. I am cheering the team on to win out, and if the team does, I think Bo will stay or will leave on his own dime for another job, he won't be fired.

I just want the Huskers to succeed....

• Fire 1