Pelini Predictions

Here is a question that I have ref Bo and the staff.

Using the fumbles as an example, Bo said that they do not see them in practice. Could it actually be possible that the guys actually perform well in practice. They communicate, execute, make the reads, don't fumble etc, but when they get in the game they crap the bed. How do you fix things that are correct in practice? If this is true, it must be frustrating as hell to be good all week and then see these implosions on the field.

IMO, I can't see Bo saying the kids crap themselves as he doesn't appear to be "that" guy, however he has said they need to get more mentally tough, execute etc...... Playing devils advocate, what if it is more the kids than the coaches.................

I can't imagine seeing what happened with MSU happening at practice and Bo and Co saying' "yea, we got this. I know their D is solid, but we should be ok if we only TO like 10 times, this week we've turned it over way more". "I think the guys will hold onto the ball in game time. Its not how you practice, its how you play". etc..

I don't see the NU defense trying to rip the ball loose in games. That could be why the NU offense fumbles in games but not in practice.

Here is a question that I have ref Bo and the staff.

Using the fumbles as an example, Bo said that they do not see them in practice. Could it actually be possible that the guys actually perform well in practice. They communicate, execute, make the reads, don't fumble etc, but when they get in the game they crap the bed. How do you fix things that are correct in practice? If this is true, it must be frustrating as hell to be good all week and then see these implosions on the field.

IMO, I can't see Bo saying the kids crap themselves as he doesn't appear to be "that" guy, however he has said they need to get more mentally tough, execute etc...... Playing devils advocate, what if it is more the kids than the coaches.................

I can't imagine seeing what happened with MSU happening at practice and Bo and Co saying' "yea, we got this. I know their D is solid, but we should be ok if we only TO like 10 times, this week we've turned it over way more". "I think the guys will hold onto the ball in game time. Its not how you practice, its how you play". etc..

I don't see the NU defense trying to rip the ball loose in games. That could be why the NU fumbles in games but not in practice.

I wonder if they have just been told to tackle since we seemed so poor in that department the first 6 games of the season. Forget getting the ball, just get the guy down.

If your team executes in practice but the mistakes come roaring back in games you know how you fix that? Make practice as similar to a game as you can.

That is not the NFL way. Bo, like Callahan, is an NFL-mentality coach. Result? Both coaches enjoyed defenses that were unrefrigerated-butter-in-July soft.

I don't think that's fair. Bo started out in the NFL as a position coach but had all of his (considerable) success coaching exceptional defenses at the college level. Oklahoma, LSU, Nebraska. Not exactly amateur hour.

I would say it's been a different story since he's had the responsibility of recruiting everyone into his own program, and had primary duties aside from being DC.

I agree with practice. If we do not simulate game conditions in regards to 1's vs 1's, physicality etc are the guys and staff really seeing how well they perform. Do they practice "easy" and get into games and say "oh crap, this isn't what practice feels like", hence the often shell shocked, mistake ridden play.

I remember Jason Peter saying how easy games were as practices were brawls and all out fights.

This is the most logical explanation to me, too. I'm a big believer in you play how you practice. If they're not seeing fumbles and turnovers in practice, then my question is, are they putting their players in enough game-type situations in practice to be able to compare them to gamedays?

I mean, you can't really compare a game where you run anywhere from 55-75 offensive plays to practice, if in practice, you don't run nearly as many full speed plays. I don't know if that's the case, I'm just speculating. But, I think you can look at the option as evidence. How many high pitches and near misses does TA have? And why did Newby drop that pitch? If they're constantly, constantly running it, the chances of a miscue are extremely slim. If they're not, then it ends up becoming just another "multiple" play that we know how to run but can't consistently execute.

I am not sure, but I believe there are limits to how much live contact is allowed now. Very few tackle to the ground most practices. But on the other hand all have the same requirements it would seem.

This is true. Neither Bo nor anyone new could go all Junction Boys on them even if they wanted to.

I am not sure, but I believe there are limits to how much live contact is allowed now. Very few tackle to the ground most practices. But on the other hand all have the same requirements it would seem.

2 days a week is the rule

I think (and I could be completely wrong) that's the Pac 12 rules.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/26/4560198/pac-12-football-rules-contact-concussions

I'm not sure other conferences limit it to 2 days yet. I couldn't find anything. At the end of the article is says no other conference has adopted these rules, but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't rules around it.

so the question is what are we doing or not doing in our drills or practice that causes our guys to put the ball on the ground....or better yet, what are other teams doing that we are not.....that helps/teaches their kids to hold on to the ball....i think Bo should spend some time out of house and learn about other systems that work............

I think that is a positive approach Hunter. You can always learn, when you say you know how to do it and never seek to expand your knowledge, your done as a coach, a business owner and really as a person. I think Bo is the type of guy that would try and learn, but the poor man has so much to do, running every aspect of this program, it would be nearly impossible for him to leave. I think he is working himself to death at this program. Working hard is not always the answer, working smart is the key. I hope, if he stays next year, he learns this. He needs help, always has. Too much for a first time head coach I have always said.