Taking daughter to Iowa game -- any suggestions from parents re: first game experiences at Memorial?

Just as the topic says, I'm taking my 6 year old daughter to her first game in two weeks against Iowa at Memorial Stadium.

I'm looking for cool ideas to get her involved--possibly the tunnel walk, though I don't know how to get down there for that from South Stadium. Also, do they still allow folks to go on the field after a while? Thought we would get some pics of her on the field if they still let people do that after everyone's filed out. May do the tour after the game...though she may be exhausted by then.

And yes, I'll make sure she holds onto the balloon until they get a TD, and not anything else. :)

The tunnel walk is fairly accessible and is a cool thing for the kids to get a close up look at the players. Plus if you're down there 30 minutes before kick you'll see players/coaches coming and going.

Check out the new foyer in East Stadium, it's like a Husker Football Museum.

Yes after the players and staff clear the field they'll open it up and you can toss footballs around, take pictures, just ask an usher.

An hour or so after the game the players will be exiting North Stadium by the TO/Brook Statue and if she brings a sharpie she can get some autographs.

Load her up on Husker Dogs and Runzas and she won't run out of gas!

• Fire 1

The tunnel walk is fairly accessible and is a cool thing for the kids to get a close up look at the players. Plus if you're down there 30 minutes before kick you'll see players/coaches coming and going.

Check out the new foyer in East Stadium, it's like a Husker Football Museum.

Yes after the players and staff clear the field they'll open it up and you can toss footballs around, take pictures, just ask an usher.

An hour or so after the game the players will be exiting North Stadium by the TO/Brook Statue and if she brings a sharpie she can get some autographs.

All this and bundle up.

I made sure to share the history of our team driving to their first games (poor kids): Devaney, Osborne, Berringer so when they see the statues it is more meaningful. I tell them about the traditions of the balloons, the tunnel walk and how Nebraska fans NEVER leave early regardless of the weather (this worked out really well because they are afraid to ask to leave).

Just like everyone mentioned - hit the north stadium area to see the trophies, weight room, waterfall. hit the east stadium entrance for more history. On the North side of the stadium is a track and next to it is a field that they allow kids to play in (I can't remember the name ) Usually there are games, balls to throw/kick and most important this is where you can pick up red balloons. Do this activity last so you don't have to carry the balloons for hours.

I found the easiest way to get into the tunnel area is to go down to the field level from your seat and walk alongside the fence to the northwest corner (by the tunnel door) and underneath the stadium and you will see the red carpet. Get there early as there will be a line!

Hopefully you'll see the players arriving at the north stadium doors and the band arriving about an hour before kickoff. No doubt they will have a blast. Enjoy and yes take lots of photos.

Check out the new foyer in East Stadium, it's like a Husker Football Museum. A definite must.

Yes after the players and staff clear the field they'll open it up and you can toss footballs around, take pictures, just ask an usher. Get a picture of her standing on the "N" in the middle of the field.

Have a great time I still have incredible memories of the first games I took my kids to. T_O_B

All of the above are must do things!, if you can though, she is 6 you said right ? so dont try an do so much she will be asleep on your shoulder in the 4th quarter. Both of ours spent the last qtr.either in my arms on my wifes lap sleeping away for their first game or 2.

I found out some 13 yrs ago when we took our first born (our daughter now a Sr. In high school and already accepted to UNL starting the 2014 fall semester) that while taking them that young is great fun they really will get more out of the whole experience if you make sure you take them again when they are old enough to grasp the meaning of just what a special place in College Football history it truly is. While all the material things like food and Husker gear and so forth are great its the whole audio,visual all out assult on your senses and the memory imprint that they will never forget.

I can still smell the state fair like atmosphere and sights and sounds of my first game so many years ago now and will long after the roar of the crowd has died out and the game is over.

Val's was a staple when I went to the games. It still reminds me of husker football when I have it.

Something that isn't necessarily a part of the experience, but something I grew up with was that my dad took me when he knew we were going to win. It made me feel like I was some sort of lucky charm when I was little. That idea was strengthened when we beat Ok St in KC with a goal line stand as time expired in 1998, and Josh Brown's game winning FG against Colorado as time expired in 2000. I felt like a major lucky charm! I loved it! It made me the huge fan I am today! Although, I most likely would have been a fan anyway, I wouldn't nearly have been as passionate.

Of course, my lucky charm days ended when I got season tickets as a student at UNL. Having gone to just about every game from 2003-2009. Me and my friends always wanted to be born a decade before... 1993-1999? Oh man...

Anyway, good choice for games. Hopefully she doesn't just remember how cold it was... haha!