XBox One and PlayStation 4 System Reviews

Did that about a month and a half ago. The party system was awful and I didn't like the controller at all. Sad I sold it right before Titanfall came out, but more than happy that I'm back with PS4 with PSNow coming this summer. Infamous Second Son looks great and stoked for the free games I get each month as dont starve and Outlast are both awesome.

Haven't bought either yet but I've always been a xbox guy and the controller is the biggest reason for me hesitating to make the switch to PS.

Simple answer is to get a 3rd party controller that is in the xbox layout. Having used both the PS3 pad, and the 360 pad with my PC, I like the layout of the PS pad better, but the size of the xbox is more comfortable as I have fairly large hands.

Haven't bought a third party controller in a long time but in my experience in the past you generally give up quality by doing so. Is that still the case or not so much anymore? I also find the xbox controller to be much more comfortable and just generally like the layout better.

Did that about a month and a half ago. The party system was awful and I didn't like the controller at all. Sad I sold it right before Titanfall came out, but more than happy that I'm back with PS4 with PSNow coming this summer. Infamous Second Son looks great and stoked for the free games I get each month as dont starve and Outlast are both awesome.

Haven't bought either yet but I've always been a xbox guy and the controller is the biggest reason for me hesitating to make the switch to PS.

Was a XBOX and XBOX360 owner. Went with a PS4 this time around and the controller is great. The L2 - R2 buttons are much more "trigger" like than old PS versions. I agree with what has been posted. BF4 is a great game with some issues (serious at times, but usually not bad). NBA2k14 is pretty good.

• 2 months later...

Looks like Microsoft finally got the memo, and it only took pushing the former XBox lead out to head (dying) Zynga and getting old boss Phil Spenser back in to get things moving in the right direction:

XBox One w/o Kinect for $399.99 Confirmed, Available June 9

Microsoft removing Live paywall for streaming video services you already pay for (e.g. HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime)

And this was already echoed elsewhere on the 'tubes, but between Microsoft finally shoring up dev kit support (they were roughly four to six months behind Sony) and potentially allowing the reallocation of CPU cycles dedicated to the Kinect, the chasm between third party title performance on the PS4 and XBox One will likely become as negligible as the one between the PS3 and 360 now. And I say third party, because first party titles have been able to hit 1080p (Forza 5) or come very close for a launch title (Ryse).

Also, interesting info about leaks via the NeoGAF forums re: XBox One and future titles:

• Forza Horizon sequel for XBox One this fall, runs 1080p (underrated gem on 360), online co-op play
  • New Gears of War title started, probably 2016 before it appears
  • Halo 2: Anniversary Edition out November 11, 2014 for XBox One, will have Halo 5 Beta (as well as all of the Halo 2 matchmaking goodness)
  • Halo 2: AE will have a Collector's Edition with Halo 3 and 4 for XBox One included.
  • Microsoft will release a while XBox One this fall for North America
  • Crackdown 3 in 2016 for XBox One
  • Fable Legends (MMORPG set in Fable universe) Summer 2015

Anyway, good information, and it's not even E3 yet. Some good news for consumers out there, to say the least.

Looks like Microsoft finally got the memo, and it only took pushing the former XBox lead out to head (dying) Zynga and getting old boss Phil Spenser back in to get things moving in the right direction:

Microsoft removing Live paywall for streaming video services you already pay for (e.g. HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime)

And this was already echoed elsewhere on the 'tubes, but between Microsoft finally shoring up dev kit support (they were roughly four to six months behind Sony) and potentially allowing the reallocation of CPU cycles dedicated to the Kinect, the chasm between third party title performance on the PS4 and XBox One will likely become as negligible as the one between the PS3 and 360 now. And I say third party, because first party titles have been able to hit 1080p (Forza 5) or come very close for a launch title (Ryse).

Also, interesting info about leaks via the NeoGAF forums re: XBox One and future titles:

• Forza Horizon sequel for XBox One this fall, runs 1080p (underrated gem on 360), online co-op play
  • Halo 2: Anniversary Edition out November 11, 2014 for XBox One, will have Halo 5 Beta (as well as all of the Halo 2 matchmaking goodness)
  • Halo 2: AE will have a Collector's Edition with Halo 3 and 4 for XBox One included.

Anyway, good information, and it's not even E3 yet. Some good news for consumers out there, to say the least.

They finally realized that their sales were sinking and decided to make the non-Kinect Xbone available to compete with the $399 PS4. I went to Target this weekend and there were 1 PS4 and 4 Xbone left

They finally realized that their sales were sinking and decided to make the non-Kinect Xbone available to compete with the $399 PS4. I went to Target this weekend and there were 1 PS4 and 4 Xbone left

And my Target had zero XBox One systems and a handful of PS4s. Anecdotal reporting, how does is work?

Latest sales figures are 5 million for XBox One, and 7.5 million for PS4--hardly sinking sales, to say the least, and both systems are outpacing their predecessors' first year sale rates.

If you want to slag on a console for moribund sales, save it for the Wii U.

And my Target had zero XBox One systems and a handful of PS4s. Anecdotal reporting, how does is work?

Latest sales figures are 5 million for XBox One, and 7.5 million for PS4--hardly sinking sales, to say the least, and both systems are outpacing their predecessors' first year sale rates.

If you want to slag on a console for moribund sales, save it for the Wii U.

Back in January it was announced that the PS4 had sold 4.3 where the Xbone sold 3 million, a 1.3 million difference and now its 7.5 million for PS4 and 5 million for Xbone a 2.5 million difference. PS4 is also outselling the Xbone 7:1 in Europe. However you want to slice and dice it, the Xbone is losing ground fast and is one of the many reasons why Microsoft is putting Kinectless Xbones in stores. The Kinect is a main part of the Xbone, so all of those features that it has that the PS4 doesn't offer is basically pointless without the Kinect.

Talking to your Xbone to turn it on, record a gaming clip, going to live TV, etc is all gone without the Kinect. We all saw this coming except Microsoft but now seeing that they're losing ground in sales, they needed a new solution to gain back some ground. They're going against their own words when they announced the Xbone back at E3 in 2013 where the Xbone is Kinect.

Its simply showing that Sony hit the target and MS missed. Sony made a gaming machine that can stream video. MS pitched the Xbone as a entertainment hub, and not a game first machine. Turns out gamers want a game machine, and dont really care all that much about changing tv to game with their voice (or the other jerk in the room who thinks its hilarious to use the voice commands to screw with the guy playing)

Its also showing that the Kinect remains nothing but a child's toy, with little useful gaming application.

The embrace of indie games from Sony has not hurt either, while MS is still a pain to deal with as they have some rules that make xbox live a non viable option for limited budgets.

What were the sales numbers between the PS3 and Xbox 360? I feel like Sony is simply more popular overseas in general, so some of the difference might be due to normal sales differences. But I agree--I have an Xbone, and I think that MS did miss the mark a bit this generation. They wouldn't be putting out a Kinectless Xbone otherwise.

Its simply showing that Sony hit the target and MS missed. Sony made a gaming machine that can stream video. MS pitched the Xbone as a entertainment hub, and not a game first machine. Turns out gamers want a game machine, and dont really care all that much about changing tv to game with their voice (or the other jerk in the room who thinks its hilarious to use the voice commands to screw with the guy playing)

Its also showing that the Kinect remains nothing but a child's toy, with little useful gaming application.

The embrace of indie games from Sony has not hurt either, while MS is still a pain to deal with as they have some rules that make xbox live a non viable option for limited budgets.

I agree, which is why the former lead is on the sinking ship known as Zynga, and they brought an actual XBox guy out of moth balls to lead the thing.

What were the sales numbers between the PS3 and Xbox 360? I feel like Sony is simply more popular overseas in general, so some of the difference might be due to normal sales differences. But I agree--I have an Xbone, and I think that MS did miss the mark a bit this generation. They wouldn't be putting out a Kinectless Xbone otherwise.

They're neck and neck, with the 360 having the slight edge. Wasn't that way at first, but after a few years, Sony finally pulled their head out of their ass with the PS3. But that PS3 launch...it was just as cringe worthy, if not moreso, than the XBox One launch. $600 for a 60GB PS3? Ouch...

And also note that Sony products have always done well in mainland Europe (e.g. MiniDisk), which is why Sony has released the PS4 to more countries over there than Microsoft.

Also remember the xbox 360 had almost a year head start on the PS3. So being even lifetime in sales is fairly significant. A lot of it is MS has done subpar in the EU, and have almost no sales in Asia.

The $600 launch price was also at a heavy loss to Sony. The Blu-Ray player really jumped the cost. But the play did win them a format war, and there is some irony that a Sony owned tech is in every XBone sold.