Jerry Kill changes the game plan

NUance

Jerry Kill changes the game plan

By Ivan Maisel | ESPN.com Originally Published: November 20, 2013

"This is what we're going to do. We always talk about playing hard and giving your best and all those kind of things. But I forgot one thing I need to tell you. Let's have some damn fun. Let's go out and have fun. You've got to live for the moment. Let's enjoy the moments. Let's play relaxed and let 'er rip." Jerry Kill

LINK

The article talks about Jerry Kill and his Snyder-esque turn-around at Minnesota. Which is really pretty amazing if you think about it. It its own way, I think what Kill has done at Minnesota is almost comparable to what Saban has done at Bama. Saban took a decent Alabama team and turned them into a powerhouse. Jerry Kill took a crappy Gopher team and turned them into a decent team. And that's a pretty hard thing to do.

That's kinda what Bo Pelini did with Nebraska. Good for Kill! Let's hope he isn't fired after this season for only winning 8 or 9 games!

Ha ha! Yeah, Bo did raise our game some. But the Gophers pre-Kill were much worse the Huskers before Pelini took over. Minny was 3-9 the year before Kill. (I had to look it up. lol)

Minnesota beat Oregon, Alabama and Arkansas in bowl games in the early 2000s. They were competitive with most in the Big Ten too. They even won 10 games in 2003.

Then they thought they were better than their coach and set themselves back 5 years

True, but the year before Kill they won three games. And a couple years before they only won one. NU hasn't sucked that bad since JFK was a congressman.

Minnesota beat Oregon, Alabama and Arkansas in bowl games in the early 2000s. They were competitive with most in the Big Ten too. They even won 10 games in 2003.

Then they thought they were better than their coach and set themselves back 5 years

True, but the year before Kill they won three games. And a couple years before they only won one. NU hasn't sucked that bad since JFK was a congressman.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was agreeing with you :D

They went crazy, fired Mason after 2006 and then sucked hard with Tim Brewster . I doubt they are crazy enough to let Kill go if they learned anything from last time.

Firing Mason wasn't the crazy part. He had to go. Hiring Brewster, in hindsight, was the crazy move. He came very highly recommended, including by Mack Brown and Mike Shanahan. But looking back, it would have been wiser to hire someone who knew how to head coach. My first weird uncomfortable feeling was his first spring practice. I remember the beat reporter saying Brewster was wandering around the practice fields looking lost (during practice), and at one point joked with a reporter "What do I do now?"