Clarifying my Thoughts

EZ-E

With the talent we've recruited the past 3-4 years I think it would be a mistake to not give Bo a chance with it. If after 2-3 years it hasn't worked out, then I'd be on the side that it's time to move on. But with as much promise as there currently is in this program with as young and talented as we are I think it would be a damn shame if a change is made.

My football IQ probably isn't at the level of yours, but this is where I am at right now as well. Earlier in the year, I was ready to usher Bo out the door because the defense was flat out embarrassing. I knew there would be growing pains, but that group was BAD to start the year.

Now that the defense is finally showing what it could be, and the emergence of Michael Rose as a leader at MLB, we've got a group that could be absolutely terrifying to play in a couple of years. The only problem is that next year, we will be molding new CBs, Nickel, and whoever takes over Cooper's spot, and that could take a while as well. Hopefully we get a good DB class with a JUCO or 2 that will be able to fill the void left by SJB, Ciante, and Coop.

• Fire 1

With the talent we've recruited the past 3-4 years I think it would be a mistake to not give Bo a chance with it. If after 2-3 years it hasn't worked out, then I'd be on the side that it's time to move on. But with as much promise as there currently is in this program with as young and talented as we are I think it would be a damn shame if a change is made.

My football IQ probably isn't at the level of yours, but this is where I am at right now as well. Earlier in the year, I was ready to usher Bo out the door because the defense was flat out embarrassing. I knew there would be growing pains, but that group was BAD to start the year.

Now that the defense is finally showing what it could be, and the emergence of Michael Rose as a leader at MLB, we've got a group that could be absolutely terrifying to play in a couple of years. The only problem is that next year, we will be molding new CBs, Nickel, and whoever takes over Cooper's spot, and that could take a while as well. Hopefully we get a good DB class with a JUCO or 2 that will be able to fill the void left by SJB, Ciante, and Coop.

Cooper is a rs junior

Cooper is a rs junior

I see. I was thinking he was a Sr for some reason. In that case, I feel VERY good about the defense, as long as we get CBs to step up for SJB's and Ciante's spot. And also, hopefully someone with some athleticism to take Josh Mitchell's spot.

Cooper is a rs junior

I see. I was thinking he was a Sr for some reason. In that case, I feel VERY good about the defense, as long as we get CBs to step up for SJB's and Ciante's spot. And also, hopefully someone with some athleticism to take Josh Mitchell's spot.

Josh is also a junior. With the emergence of Leroy Alexander, my hope is that we move CJAX to nickel. I like CJAX, but fact of the matter is that Leroy is just better than him to this point IMO. CJAX would bring a lot of hard hitting tackling ability and athletic ability. At nickel, he'd be nice and close to the LOS to help in run support.

• Fire 1

It truly is exciting to think what this group will be capable of in the next couple years. It just seems like the corner is about to get turned. Yet weve felt that way before. Flip side not many coaches, first time or not, have had to deal witht hlthe challenges Bo has. And he has handled them well given his lack of experience in the role. Next season should be special, 12 wins should not be a pipe dream. We can certainly achieve that. The turnovers have to stop though. If we improve on that stat alone we have a legitimate team on our hands capable of making a splash nationally.

Great post by the way EZ.

It truly is exciting to think what this group will be capable of in the next couple years. It just seems like the corner is about to get turned. Yet weve felt that way before. Flip side not many coaches, first time or not, have had to deal witht hlthe challenges Bo has. And he has handled them well given his lack of experience in the role. Next season should be special, 12 wins should not be a pipe dream. We can certainly achieve that. The turnovers have to stop though. If we improve on that stat alone we have a legitimate team on our hands capable of making a splash nationally.

Great post by the way EZ.

Just to clarify...I've never thought we were about to turn the corner. When our defense was good in 2009 and 2010 we had an inept offense. When our offense was good shortly after that our defense sucked the big one.

It wasn't until just this year that I've felt we were about to turn the corner. I predict big things for this team in the next 1-2 years.

BUt in 2010 we had a QB rushing defense that was coming along and a young offense and ......oh god, I just had a case of deja vu

I agree. 3 things really holding us back, though that is a "why can't we just seem to fix it?"

Penalties, turnovers, special teams.

We lack in these phases pretty bad.

Special teams just need a re-boot and practice practice practice.

It's the penalties and turnovers that seem to be a psychological barrier that can only be fixed by some REAL accountability and leadership.

Leaders forcing teammates into more focus and accountability. This is what is baffling to me; penalties and turnovers.

But I'm excited for the last 3 games and the next couple years. Losing Martinez sucks a big one, but it may be a blessing for the future with experience if nothing else.

I think penalties have really improved this year. I can only recall one series where the Oline killed a drive with penalties. And the D really hasn't done anything bone headed, just typical PI calls we get with our style and bs PFs because we actually hit people.

2010 had some real potential to be special but focus was something we lacked big time. Closing was an issue. And depth killed us down the line. Martinez getting banged up essentially put the potential to a screeching halt.

2011 was just rough and theres no way else to look at it. Tough schedule, new league, lots of talent lost, more injuries. We were lucky to win the 9 we did looking back at it now.

We have potential on both sides. Depth is much more, IMO, than Bo has had since he has been here. Not just back ups, but younger guys starting as fresh ans sophs who will only get better. When Bo first got here, he made a living off of juniors and seniors. ie Suh, Prince, Fonzie etc ...... The down years have been when our poor recruiting has showed up and bit us. That appears to be turning ie guys who can defend in the B1G, skill guys who can run etc.....

I am on the fence with Bo and Co, BUT the worst thing that happens is we probably go 9/10 wins. If that is the case and the AD sees the same issues, let him go. I think the pieces are in place to make a run next year. Maybe not at the MNC, but at the conference for sure. Look at the offensive firepower returning, the D coming back. Shore up the boneheaded issues and ST and there you go.

Great post as well OP.