Weight: 185

40 time: 4.46

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Iowa St., Nebraska

Favorites: Committed to Iowa St.

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/

Bid Red Report: NR/

Assessing the talent: Got a chance to see the Omaha North v Millard West game on Wednesday. A game Millard West won 13-10. Wanted to get a look at Niles Paul and Phil Bates. My observations are based on high school ability and standards

Philip Bates (QB) 6'1" 190lbs - Now of course take this association somewhat lightly, but he reminds me of a little Brad Smith. A little lanky and thin, but some cut in his arms. He has good overall control of the huddle, respect from his teammates, and decent team leader. Although, I tend to think he leads more by example than with his voice.

Run: His favorite player wears number 7, as he does, and that’s Michael Vick. And one thing is for sure, he's got great speed like the former Hokey QB. He can stop and start on a dime better than anyone in the state of Nebraska. Within a step, he's at full speed. One of his teammates who starts on defense and plays against him everyday in practice says, “We have a hard time simply two-hand touching Bates in practice.” This is definitely the strongest part of his game.

PASS: His passing ability is solid. He threw his short to medium range passes very well. Of course most went to Niles, but a coaching staff would have to be dumb not to. He has very little fear about throwing the ball deep and into traffic, at time, I get the feeling he trusts his receivers a great deal. He should his fellow Viking came down with the ball more times than not. His passing percentage was above 50% with most of completions going to Niles.

The offense is multiple with formations from the "I", four wide, trips and other spread sets. He threw very well from the shotgun, while under center, he often was running, scooting, cutting, spinning, slipping away from defenders trying to buy time and take off. His line was average at best. Something I don't see getting any better for next year. Many times while under center, for a pass play, he would use play action.

Although he didn’t play any defense, he might be projected by some to play that in college, but I certainly wouldn’t leave out WR, and returner.

He’ll be fun to watch next year.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10% Nebraska is the first to offer and should have the inside track.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

i really like the idea that he has a highschool teamate already commited to the huskers. also the fact that the has attended practice with paul and his father ( whom was also a husker fullback) i dont think this is too far out there

• 2 weeks later...