QB Philip Bates

I believe this is a bigger get for Iowa State than it is a loss for Nebraska. Bates would have been a good QB under Coaches Osborne or Solich but he doesn't fit the WCO. He wants to play QB and that wasn't going to happen at Nebraska. We already have the best part of the Bates to Paul TD combo committed. I do wish Bates the best at Iowa State and think he will fit in there.

• 3 months later...

hello, bates is the hs qb that I wish would change his pledge, esp since NU now has depth w/ upperclassmen, w/ their addition of keller & hildebrand, therefore NU can now focus on developing some hs qb's - such as witt & another - hopefully bates will change his mind, maybe because of paul &/or because his father, or another reason I hope - yet, cally has stated that if a recruit makes it clear that they do not want to be here, &/or have choosen another school, then NU will not pursue them (but, I am definently hoping on bates becoming a flip-flopper)

• 2 months later...

remember you can't try and "sell" him here..you just have to be purely informational... :D sure you already knew that but be careful the NCAA is pretty ridiculous in what you can and can't say to these kids... i don't know if i would want to go to ISU now...they look like they could be heading into shambles... i've heard rumors that barney very well could be gone at the end of the year. if i were phillip bates i would come here... think of the situation goin on here...program surely on the rise(granted we've had a trip or two...but at least we've won a conference game) his best friend in niles paul is coming here... the kid is a pure athlete...could play wr or cb or even at safety if we put some size in the kid... i would be all about nebraska...

remember you can't try and "sell" him here..you just have to be purely informational... :D sure you already knew that but be careful the NCAA is pretty ridiculous in what you can and can't say to these kids... i don't know if i would want to go to ISU now...they look like they could be heading into shambles... i've heard rumors that barney very well could be gone at the end of the year. if i were phillip bates i would come here... think of the situation goin on here...program surely on the rise(granted we've had a trip or two...but at least we've won a conference game) his best friend in niles paul is coming here... the kid is a pure athlete...could play wr or cb or even at safety if we put some size in the kid... i would be all about nebraska...

Yeah the whole ISU staff may be gone, unless the Solich rumors are true. He might keep some of the staff like that traitor Cotton.

Bates should wait and see how OU's recruiting goes. There was talk today that one of the Texas commits is looking elsewhere including OU because of Colt McCoy and the glut of young QBs they have.