Weight: 185

40 time: 4.46

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Iowa St., Nebraska

Favorites: Committed to Iowa St.

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/

Bid Red Report: NR/

Assessing the talent: Got a chance to see the Omaha North v Millard West game on Wednesday. A game Millard West won 13-10. Wanted to get a look at Niles Paul and Phil Bates. My observations are based on high school ability and standards

Philip Bates (QB) 6'1" 190lbs - Now of course take this association somewhat lightly, but he reminds me of a little Brad Smith. A little lanky and thin, but some cut in his arms. He has good overall control of the huddle, respect from his teammates, and decent team leader. Although, I tend to think he leads more by example than with his voice.

Run: His favorite player wears number 7, as he does, and that’s Michael Vick. And one thing is for sure, he's got great speed like the former Hokey QB. He can stop and start on a dime better than anyone in the state of Nebraska. Within a step, he's at full speed. One of his teammates who starts on defense and plays against him everyday in practice says, “We have a hard time simply two-hand touching Bates in practice.” This is definitely the strongest part of his game.

PASS: His passing ability is solid. He threw his short to medium range passes very well. Of course most went to Niles, but a coaching staff would have to be dumb not to. He has very little fear about throwing the ball deep and into traffic, at time, I get the feeling he trusts his receivers a great deal. He should his fellow Viking came down with the ball more times than not. His passing percentage was above 50% with most of completions going to Niles.

The offense is multiple with formations from the "I", four wide, trips and other spread sets. He threw very well from the shotgun, while under center, he often was running, scooting, cutting, spinning, slipping away from defenders trying to buy time and take off. His line was average at best. Something I don't see getting any better for next year. Many times while under center, for a pass play, he would use play action.

Although he didn’t play any defense, he might be projected by some to play that in college, but I certainly wouldn’t leave out WR, and returner.

He’ll be fun to watch next year.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10% Nebraska is the first to offer and should have the inside track.

Kind of in the dark about Bates. Does he have the arm to run the wco? Sounds like he can mix it up with his speed. Any guess on how the recruiting sites might rate him? Thanks in advance for any info.

i really like the idea that he has a highschool teamate already commited to the huskers. also the fact that the has attended practice with paul and his father ( whom was also a husker fullback) i dont think this is too far out there

saw him at the spring game and he looked like he was having a good time hanging out with dj jones cruz barret and niles paul...build those close friendships ....i'm feelin it

IMHO the coaches really need to work hard on the qb recruts this summer..we will need a couple good ones to keep the WCO alive........

hunter

IMHO the coaches really need to work hard on the qb recruts this summer..we will need a couple good ones to keep the WCO alive........

hunter

:yeah exactly

appears hes heading to ISU - report on the front page of HI but does not give the school - best of luck to him where ever he chose

how in the hell do we lose this guy so early in the recruiting process? anyone have any idea what is going on? my assumption is, he will be allowed to play qb at

Iowa State and we were probably recruiting him as a DB? this sucks!!

hunter

Good luck to Bates as I think he fits in real well with their offense. If we can get Lee and a mid term Juco Qb I think we'll be fine as it appears there are some really good Juco QB's this year.

I think our days of signing QBs that run a 4.5 40 are over. I was kind of surprised we were going after him at all considering we only take one or two QBs a year. He doesn't quite fit the mold of a WCO QB.

I'm ok with this one. I think this may help us with some of the other QBs we are recruiting. I hope the guy does well at ISU. He did what was best for him.

You really cannot fault Phillip or ever BC for that matter. Phillip just simply fits the ISU offense much better than ours. He isn't the read and react QB the WCO needs, he needs to be given that pass-run option that is featured alot in the ISU playbook.

Phillip had his heart set on playing QB, and that's what he'll do. He'll follow in the mold of Bret Meyer who resembles him quite a bit as a QB, so he'll have a good tutor.

I personally wish him nothing but luck because he made a wise choice that fit HIS needs in a school.

Well I wish him luck except when he plays Nebraska. Then I hope he's introduced to the turf every time he drops back. ;)

i agree with what you guys are saying about ISU.. he fits into their system better than ours. i also agree that we were going to make him a DB. somebody told me that callahan didnt think he could make the reads fast enough but i think that is BS. i think he didnt have the arm strength IMO. good luck to bates, i bet his dad is flippin out.

i agree....i just hate to lose a nebraska kid....at least cally was honest as to his intentions for his position at NU.....mark my words, he will help ISU be a better football team......i too think he has good ability to run their O as everyone has said...i am still quite nervous as to where we are gonna get our future qb...

anyone else?

hunter

im nervous 2... it doesn't seem like anyone has the big red as their top choice and if the coaching staff is working the qb's the hardest and they can't get a player to have them at the top of the list, it might be trouble.

i think we will get the qb's, one will commit during the summer following the elite qb camp and another later in the year following an official visit. we will all be nervous until then.

Don't worry about the QB situation.

But it is funny how around August of last year, we were talking about how BC always gets the top QB on his recruiting board. Now a bit of a panic. ;)

But remember, we didn't know about Joe Ganz and Zac Taylor until late in the recruiting process. Taylor has been alright I guess. Plus a few guys like Taylor, BC and Norvell really love Ganz. But what do they know? :)

Personally, I believe someone needs to buy a steel door and cover the panic button alot of times.

im not nervous.. plenty of great QB's out there. i think everybody just wants to get the Big name QB recruit like ND, Texas, etc are getting so early in the recruiting process.

i just read an article in the OMW about bates committing to ISU... the end of the article pretty much summed it up. I still like callahan's strategy of no promises, the coaches will give you a chance but you gotta earn it.

Relax about Bates

Not a big loss what so ever

i think that since Bates went to ISU Jarret Lee will look at NU more.

Lee is hell of a better athelte than Bates and Bates doesnt fit our offense

i agree....i just hate to lose a nebraska kid....at least cally was honest as to his intentions for his position at NU.....mark my words, he will help ISU be a better football team......i too think he has good ability to run their O as everyone has said...i am still quite nervous as to where we are gonna get our future qb...

anyone else?

hunter

i agree. i also hate losing ne kids. first the ol from central, now bates. maybe the luster is wearing off of bc's program and it's showing in recruiting?

anyone else?

hunter

i agree. i also hate losing ne kids. first the ol from central, now bates. maybe the luster is wearing off of bc's program and it's showing in recruiting?

I'm still not convinced that Gunn is a done deal to go to Miami. It's too bad losing Bates to ISU, but he probably wasn't going to be a QB here, and the clones were going to give him that opportunity. It sounds like a better opportunity for him and his abilities, good luck to Phillip.

unless miami gets a new coaching staff...id probably write gunn off. ive been told by someone that he's not the type to go back on his word. if there was a different coaching staff at miami before he signs i suppose there could be a change..but

unless miami gets a new coaching staff...id probably write gunn off. ive been told by someone that he's not the type to go back on his word. if there was a different coaching staff at miami before he signs i suppose there could be a change..but

Man I was told the same about Rulon Davis :bang . We see how that worked out. Not signing day yet anything can happen.

I believe this is a bigger get for Iowa State than it is a loss for Nebraska. Bates would have been a good QB under Coaches Osborne or Solich but he doesn't fit the WCO. He wants to play QB and that wasn't going to happen at Nebraska. We already have the best part of the Bates to Paul TD combo committed. I do wish Bates the best at Iowa State and think he will fit in there.

I hate to see any Neberaska kid going to another program that the huskers wanted but at least the coaches were honest with him. I wish him the best of luck, and props to the coaching staff for being up front with Bates.

GBR!!!

Great athlete. Still has a little ways to go on decision making, but hell he's in high school. Has an absolute rifle for an arm. Drilled a couple nice passes. Damn fine athlete. He scored on a fake field goal and scrambled for positive yards almost every time.

hello, bates is the hs qb that I wish would change his pledge, esp since NU now has depth w/ upperclassmen, w/ their addition of keller & hildebrand, therefore NU can now focus on developing some hs qb's - such as witt & another - hopefully bates will change his mind, maybe because of paul &/or because his father, or another reason I hope - yet, cally has stated that if a recruit makes it clear that they do not want to be here, &/or have choosen another school, then NU will not pursue them (but, I am definently hoping on bates becoming a flip-flopper)

i don't think he changes his mind...he is going where he will have the best shot at playing qb and he knows it....better than if he came to NU.....can't blame him for following his heart......good kid

hunter

I talked to him the other day, and it doesn't seem like he wants to come to Nebraska at all. He is always yelling "Iowa State" at school, so I don't think there is a chance at all he will come to Nebraska.

Thats allright, he should be supporting his team. but we will see what tune he sings to following the 7th of october. He might not be as proud of his future teamates. ;)

I talked to him the other day, and it doesn't seem like he wants to come to Nebraska at all. He is always yelling "Iowa State" at school, so I don't think there is a chance at all he will come to Nebraska.

Might not be the safest thing for him to be yelling. <_<

He looked good in the game last night. He had this 60 yard run where he scrambled one way, then went the other way. It was crazy. Unfortunately it got called back, so he threw a 50 yard td pass to Niles. Pretty sweet imo.

Is on ESPN radio right now talking about his commitment. He says he is looking at his commitment right now, and may give Nebraska and Ou a chance. We will see how this unfolds.

remember you can't try and "sell" him here..you just have to be purely informational... :D sure you already knew that but be careful the NCAA is pretty ridiculous in what you can and can't say to these kids... i don't know if i would want to go to ISU now...they look like they could be heading into shambles... i've heard rumors that barney very well could be gone at the end of the year. if i were phillip bates i would come here... think of the situation goin on here...program surely on the rise(granted we've had a trip or two...but at least we've won a conference game) his best friend in niles paul is coming here... the kid is a pure athlete...could play wr or cb or even at safety if we put some size in the kid... i would be all about nebraska...

remember you can't try and "sell" him here..you just have to be purely informational... :D sure you already knew that but be careful the NCAA is pretty ridiculous in what you can and can't say to these kids... i don't know if i would want to go to ISU now...they look like they could be heading into shambles... i've heard rumors that barney very well could be gone at the end of the year. if i were phillip bates i would come here... think of the situation goin on here...program surely on the rise(granted we've had a trip or two...but at least we've won a conference game) his best friend in niles paul is coming here... the kid is a pure athlete...could play wr or cb or even at safety if we put some size in the kid... i would be all about nebraska...

Yeah the whole ISU staff may be gone, unless the Solich rumors are true. He might keep some of the staff like that traitor Cotton.

Bates should wait and see how OU's recruiting goes. There was talk today that one of the Texas commits is looking elsewhere including OU because of Colt McCoy and the glut of young QBs they have.

The thing that will be the biggest selling point for him is qb. That is the position he really wants to play, so we will see what the coaches for us and OU say to him. Should be interesting

Add to the fact that he will not have a reciever that can dominate all DBs like he does now. Jump balls will not get it done in D1 football. (Maybe with Mo. LOL) He is more of a risk than most imo. He may not make it anywhere at QB. At this point, I think, the only reason he needs to to come to Nebraska is beause he is in our own back yard and you don't want people pissing and moaning bout us letting one go. Besides he is not tuely "N" in his heart. We would be a "well I guess I will go there" option and we don't need that. Like Callahan said last year " we want people here that want to be at Nebraska". I want kids that have the desire and the passion to be a Husker!

JMHO

He is a great kid, and everytime he sees me, he says what's up man. How ya doing. But I don't know if he is going to be a d1 qb. He has some positives, but he needs to improve his passing considerably if he wants to be the quarterback for the Huskers. Right now, he can dominate because he is a superior athlete compared with the rest the high schoolers. I don't know if he would fit in in the wco here at Nebraska though, but we'll see.

i would love to see him here at NU and get a shot at playing the position that he wants to play. that might not be the case for him but it could very well happen.

maybe he comes in, redshirts hones his passing skills and then competes for pt.

it is going to depend on him and his desires about playing as a true freshman.

i have not seen this kid play, the only info i know about him is from this board, and with what is being said about him here is that he is not going to be ready for a year or 2

i would love to see him here at NU and get a shot at playing the position that he wants to play. that might not be the case for him but it could very well happen.

maybe he comes in, redshirts hones his passing skills and then competes for pt.

it is going to depend on him and his desires about playing as a true freshman.

i have not seen this kid play, the only info i know about him is from this board, and with what is being said about him here is that he is not going to be ready for a year or 2

Yeah, he is still a raw player, and can make improvements, but if he really worked hard and still wanted to play quarterback, with his speed, he could become a great player. That said, will he put in the work? I think he will, just by seeing him work out in school, and seeing him at practice. We will see though.