So this is what the media wants us to be like.

da skers

Are we inferring that "The Nebraska Way" puts the athletic department and the University above academic deception and overlooking some things for the "Greater Good?" Because that just isn't true.

There are several sides to this in an athletic department. I forget the name, but Florida St had a starting football player become a Rhodes Scholar, for example.

Bo Pelini is a football coach in charge of young adults about ready to become independent. His job isn't just to "win", nor it just to "get them ready for life". It's both. He's getting the preparation part done quite well, the other, not so much, and that's why it's up for debate if he gets to continue doing so right now.

And firing him because NU and it's fans want to win doesn't mean we have to automatically go dirty. That is really starting to get irritating with its frequency of appearing as a reason for keeping Bo.

I'm sorry but he is winning. It might not be the way you want but his win percentage indicates he's doing a lot better than about 108 or more other D1 programs over the last 6 years.

Got this from another board and it is quite depressing:

Since taking over in 2008, Bo has been the HC for 78 games with an overall record of 55-23. 18 of those games were against non BCS teams, and 10 of the wins have been against BCS teams with 4 or fewer wins.

Looking into the wins and losses:

Overall - 55-23 - 70.51% winning % - 18 Wins against non BCS teams

BCS - 37-23 - 61.67% winning %

Teams with 5+ more wins - 27-23 - 54% winning % - 1 loss to 5-7 UT

Teams with 6+ more wins - 22-22 - 50% winning% - 1 loss to 6-7 NW

Teams with 7+ more wins - 19-21 - 47.5% winning % - This is all teams that finished with a winning record, Bo is under .500 in these games

Teams with 8+ more wins - 11-19 - 36.67% winning % - This includes Minnesota and UCLA from this season

Teams with 9+ more wins - 5-16 - 23.81% winning % - This includes MSU from this season

So Bo does win his 9/10 games a season, and wins 70.51% of his games, but he feasts on bad to horrible teams. He's 2 games under .500 against BCS teams that finished with a winning record. His teams don't get it done against good competition.

Against teams that finish with 8 or more wins, teams that finished 8-4/8-5/8-6, Bo's teams win less than 37% of the games.

He's played the schedule put in front of him. For giggles do that for the top 15 teams today over the past 6 years. I don't know the results but you're looking at something in a vacuum. I'd say Bama, Oregon and maybe LSU will be better.

That FSU peice is enough to make you vomit.

The FSU piece is a fair and insightful article written by the "other side", that exposes a lot of what goes on but does so without an agenda, actually leading me to sympathize a good deal with the players in some respects.

The Alabama piece though.... holy smokes.

bo is a great coach and a stand-up guy, no doubt about it. but the only thing that matters is that his teams have been under-performing. that is all that matters and that is all on him. he can either fix it (which i think giving him the opportunity to do so is the most prudent course) or he needs to be replaced. it really is pretty simple and all this talk about dirty programs and cheating coaches is getting pretty ridiculous.

How have they under performed? Because the OWH said we should win 11 games this year and we havent? I'd say they've done much better than expected considering the things that have happened with injuries and running a very young defense. The same thing happened at UCLA three years ago and the lost enough games to fire a coach. The next guy came in and we've seen whats happened with healthy players and a few additions the last two years.

Am I following this correctly? The narrative is Nebraska shouldn't fire their coach because of injuries and a young defense. They shouldn't be like UCLA, who had injuries and a young defense, and they fired their coach.......and now look at how good they are?

No. I'm stating that the talent was there but hurt. It was a bad example. Even Ricky would have won the last two years base on the potential that was there. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Maybe Rick would have won but it's unknowable and contrary to his coaching history.

The FSU piece is a fair and insightful article written by the "other side", that exposes a lot of what goes on but does so without an agenda, actually leading me to sympathize a good deal with the players in some respects.

I find it hard to sympathize with a player who essentially threatened a teachers life with a war story of beating up a homosexual.

Got this from another board and it is quite depressing:

Since taking over in 2008, Bo has been the HC for 78 games with an overall record of 55-23. 18 of those games were against non BCS teams, and 10 of the wins have been against BCS teams with 4 or fewer wins.

BCS - 37-23 - 61.67% winning %

would really like to know where this ranks verus all other schools in the same time frame.

I find it hard to sympathize with a player who essentially threatened a teachers life with a war story of beating up a homosexual.

Then you sure as sh#t better not complain or whine about a single thing in your life.

I hope Nebraska doesn't hire a new coach! I mean look what happens! Stop Eichorst stop, Nebraska will surely open up like a volcanic pit with nobody but Satan himself,rising from the ashes if we make this coaching change. Oh Lord Almighty, I feel the fear inside me now. You fire a coach, you become an evil University. The two just go hand in hand.

I'm scared to change anything now. What happens if you fire an assistant? Does that evil green Wicked witch of the West come down to Memorial with her flying Monkeys and start attacking fans? Oh dear Lord, I'm so scared of change.

• Fire 1

bo is a great coach and a stand-up guy, no doubt about it. but the only thing that matters is that his teams have been under-performing. that is all that matters and that is all on him. he can either fix it (which i think giving him the opportunity to do so is the most prudent course) or he needs to be replaced. it really is pretty simple and all this talk about dirty programs and cheating coaches is getting pretty ridiculous.

How have they under performed? Because the OWH said we should win 11 games this year and we havent? I'd say they've done much better than expected considering the things that have happened with injuries and running a very young defense. The same thing happened at UCLA three years ago and the lost enough games to fire a coach. The next guy came in and we've seen whats happened with healthy players and a few additions the last two years.

Am I following this correctly? The narrative is Nebraska shouldn't fire their coach because of injuries and a young defense. They shouldn't be like UCLA, who had injuries and a young defense, and they fired their coach.......and now look at how good they are?

No. I'm stating that the talent was there but hurt. It was a bad example. Even Ricky would have won the last two years base on the potential that was there. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Maybe Rick would have won but it's unknowable and contrary to his coaching history.

I was looking at UCLA because they lost the starting QB right before season. Baylor the year that RG3 went down is another good example. Maybe more so as if memory serves me right they lost some of the Oline as well and were also a young talented team as demonstrated by the next years 10-3. Part of the reason we are so young is do to not getting the right guys. Carl took a few too many "diamonds". They were trying to figure out what type of guys we wanted and needed. Its also 50/50 on needing a different type of player from B12 to B10.

Then you sure as sh#t better not complain or whine about a single thing in your life.

What? I must be missing something here.

• Fire 1

You're going to have to explain this if you want anybody to understand it. I just read that whole FSU deadspin deal. If that article causes you to sympathize with the players, I am at a loss for words. And your response to 1995 Redux; "Then you sure as sh#t better not complain or whine about a single thing in your life." WTF is that supposed to even mean? You feeling ok?

• Fire 3

da skers,

I've been trying to talk about many of the same things, but I've found that most people have made up their mind about the issues. Even the people on the fence aren't really convinced by any arguments. Nobody is talking about how much worse things might be under a new HC, only how they might be better at winning. Frustrates me, but it is what it is.

Besides, I think Pelini's fate was sealed back when Harvey didn't consult TO before hiring Eichorst. Now we've got 2 lawyers deciding the performance and fate of the football team. Not exactly a recipe for success IMO.