WR Niles Paul

He's got a good frame, a big vertical and 4.4 speed. No doubt he's got the tools. I am excited that he wants to be in Lincoln and can't wait to see what he can do his Senior year at North. Just stay healthy!

That's certainly what he has...the tools. He'll be the top player or recruit in Nebraska next year, but remember theirs a long way to go and other teams will try and gun for him.

LJS: CB/WR Paul commits to Huskers for 2007

The Nebraska football team, currently in the late stages of filling out its 2006 recruiting class, received its first verbal commitment for its class of 2007.

Omaha North standout Niles Paul has selected the Huskers, North head coach Larry Martin said Tuesday.

“He was getting a lot of mail from every big school in the country — Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma, everybody,” Martin said. “I think he just decided enough was enough.”

As a sophomore this past season, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Paul, a wide receiver and cornerback, had 36 receptions for 632 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also averaged 9.8 yards on 13 punt returns and 25.6 yards on 16 kickoff returns.

“In my opinion, if you’re an in-state wide receiver, and you go somewhere other than Nebraska to play, you’re crazy,” Martin said.

Paul, a nephew of former Nebraska standout and Green Bay Packers all-pro running back Ahman Green, started his high school career in Hampton, Va., moving to Omaha 1½ years ago.

Rivals.com rates Paul among the nation’s top 100 juniors, while Martin said Paul “is the best high school receiver I’ve seen.”

“In my opinion, if you’re an in-state wide receiver, and you go somewhere other than Nebraska to play, you’re crazy,”

I couldn't help but be amused by that statement as it wouldn't have made as much sense just few years ago.

but...

"I've pretty much known what school I was going to go to since I was a little kid."

it sounds like it wouldn't have made a difference even then.

too bad we have to wait 1year+ for this guy! <_<

Is this kid going to play WR or DB?  Or both?

Wait we have a year to speculate.

I've heard he is going to line up at quarterback and then just throw it to himself. Also, if we can't find a good punter next year, I think he's our man as well. :o;)

But really, I'm excited for this kid, even if he's not a "true" in-state kid it's great to see kids from Nebraska High Schools come in and be big contributers (of course we will have to wait and see for that)

:restore2

Martin said Paul “is the best high school receiver I’ve seen.”

Pretty high praise, didnt Wilson Thomas go to North?? There have been some pretty fair WRs from NE that went to UNL the past 10-15 years.

Thats a darn early committment ;)

It's going to be a fun ride keeping him committed. Notre Dame, Iowa St., Iowa, KSt, KU are sure to offer. It depends on how he handles it. Does he welcome the offers or when coaches call does he take a stand and firmly declare he is going to be a Husker.

Ahman Green will keep him in line. ;)

• 3 weeks later...