Sipple: "It would be wrong to break up this staff."

Ulty

Here's the kind of statement that bothers me. "Bo deserves a chance to show what he can do". He's had the last 6 years. If he stays another year, fine, but to say he deserves anything at this point is overstating it.

exactly. i think bo should stay because it makes sense monetarily and in terms of risk management. but he has been given all he deserves in terms of proving his ability as a head coach here.

In regards to potential coaching changes:

Has the shipped sailed on Turner Gill possibly returning here in some facet? I've been watching some old highlights of his playing days, his tenure at Buffalo, and some clips of him at pressers. I think he would make a great assistant on this staff and would bring some sense of stability to the offense even if he was just a position coach.

I like Gill as a person and I think he would be better received had he not jumped ship to Kansas.

Has the shipped sailed on Turner Gill possibly returning here in some facet? I've been watching some old highlights of his playing days, his tenure at Buffalo, and some clips of him at pressers. I think he would make a great assistant on this staff and would bring some sense of stability to the offense even if he was just a position coach.

I like Gill as a person and I think he would be better received had he not jumped ship to Kansas.

i don't think Bo would take Gill........

i don't think Bo would take Gill........

I don't pay too much attention to the inner workings of coaches and their relationship to other coaches. Didn't the two of these coach together previously under Solich? I'm not entirely sure.

Not to dramatize or dig too deep, but were there issues with them working together?

I'm not sure how to feel about Pelini at this point. I waver back and forth, because there are a lot of factors at play here.

First, he does win a lot of games. Not big games, but he still puts out a respectable product. The defense has shown signs of improvement, although we still allow far too many rushing yards and the opponents we showed the most improvement against are fairly miserable teams. But that is a big factor going into next year. Also, he does a lot of things the right way. Graduation rates, GPAs, players mostly staying out of trouble, etc. These are all very commendable things.

How is what we consistently see from Bo a "respectable product," when, by your own words, we only show improvement against miserable teams? A team that holds off a fourth quarter rally from Wyoming, gets blown out at home by UCLA, gets physically manhandled by Minnesota, needs a miracle to beat Northwestern, holds Michigan to negative rushing yards and still almost loses, and needs overtime to beat a team whose depth is ravaged by sanctions (all the while committing stupid penalties and losing every turnover battle) a "respectable product"? A few bounces of the ball and this exact same team loses to Wyoming, Northwestern, Michigan, and Penn State. Is it still a "respectable product" then?

I wish Husker fans (Sipple and Shatel, too) would stop being so content with wins this team fell into butt-first.

Seriously? Beating a 6-5 Penn State team in overtime, that has losses to Indiana, & Minny is all it took to change your mind? Every issue that has plagued this team for 3 seasons was right there, front and center trying to lose us a game we should have dominated. We're a 3 inch wide extra point attempt away from a loss and yet you're on the Bo-wagon because there's another W in the column? Come on man, quit flip flopping.

Yes, one play early in the game determined the outcome. There weren't any other plays throughout the game that we got a bad break on that would have changed things either.

Sorry, continue on with your MO of over-emphasizing the negative and ignoring the positive.

I'm sorry but special teams has been an utter joke since Ross Els arrived. He needs to go back to the MAC. Pelini needs to treat this like a business and make tough decisions that are best for the program and not worry about hurting cocaine carls feelings. I also would like to see us finally can Cotton. Garrison can handle the OL and Fisher can help with TE. Between Garrison and Fisher we can make up for any coaching Cotton can offer. I also want a DC that knows a thing or two. Yeah this is Bo's defense but we at the very least need to bring in someone who is experienced and able to expand Bo's defensive knowledge. Pay Will Muschamp $1 mil a year as DC. Hire a proven QB coach and get Doug Coleman here to replace Els. I could stomach Bo for another season if these types of changes are made

I thought that you said there is no chance that Bo will be here next year - Color me confused

This team is a lot closer to being a five or six win team than they are an 11 or 12 win team, even with their injuries.

I disagree with Sip. I think if Bo Pelini wants to keep his job another year he will be asked to retool his staff. If this staff remains intact for another year I think we're going to have a repeat performance in 2014 - a good start, inexplicable losses, more turnovers and turmoil.

• Fire 3

Here's the kind of statement that bothers me. "Bo deserves a chance to show what he can do". He's had the last 6 years. If he stays another year, fine, but to say he deserves anything at this point is overstating it.

Not at all. We are sitting at 8-3 with potential for a 10-win season still out there. Yes, he DESERVES to come back again next year - even if we end the season on 2 losses (as long as they are not blowouts).

I'm also not making any excuses for Bo because he put himself in this position, but his first 2 or 3 recruiting classes were underwhelming. He and his staff have made huge strides in recruiting, and it is really starting to show. He DESERVES the opportunity to show what he can do with the young men that he recruited. If we were sitting at 5 or 6 wins right now, that's probably not the case.

Bo's teams have had potential since 2010. What's changed?

Depth and talent level at every position on the field. Bo deserves a chance to show what he can do with the promising young players on this team.

Well it appears QB will be a problem area next year. Which concerns me more than a better defense.

We will see. I still think Tommy has the potential to be very good, he just needs to be put in a situation to succeed first of all, and second, when he gets put in those situations, he needs to take care of the ball. He has the potential to be effective even against the best defenses in the nation and has proved so. He just needs to take care of the ball.

And as everyone has already said, Johnny Stanton should give Tommy a tough battle for the starting position next year. I'm personally not worried about the QB position.

This team is a lot closer to being a five or six win team than they are an 11 or 12 win team, even with their injuries.

I disagree with Sip. I think if Bo Pelini wants to keep his job another year he will be asked to retool his staff. If this staff remains intact for another year I think we're going to have a repeat performance in 2014 - a good start, inexplicable losses, more turnovers and turmoil.

We can't afford to fire a 9-win (maybe 8-win) head coach... for the second time... in a decade... Doing so would be idiotic and would set the program back even further.

Edit: Not to mention, in today's landscape of college football, there really isn't a huge difference between a 6-win team and an 11-win team.

We can't afford to fire a 9-win (maybe 8-win) head coach... for the second time... in a decade... Doing so would be idiotic and would set the program back even further.

this is a myth. bo was hired to win championships, he knows that. he has not. the next guy hired, whenever that may be, will be hired to win championships. and the next guy will know that.

i do not want a coach who is afraid of high standards and great expectations.

• Fire 1

I'm sorry but special teams has been an utter joke since Ross Els arrived. He needs to go back to the MAC. Pelini needs to treat this like a business and make tough decisions that are best for the program and not worry about hurting cocaine carls feelings. I also would like to see us finally can Cotton. Garrison can handle the OL and Fisher can help with TE. Between Garrison and Fisher we can make up for any coaching Cotton can offer. I also want a DC that knows a thing or two. Yeah this is Bo's defense but we at the very least need to bring in someone who is experienced and able to expand Bo's defensive knowledge. Pay Will Muschamp $1 mil a year as DC. Hire a proven QB coach and get Doug Coleman here to replace Els. I could stomach Bo for another season if these types of changes are made

I thought that you said there is no chance that Bo will be here next year - Color me confused

What do you know the rest of us don't know? Enlighten me please.

Edit: Not to mention, in today's landscape of college football, there really isn't a huge difference between a 6-win team and an 11-win team.

Wouldn't set the program back.

How long does it take for the 'right coach' to get a program on track?

It's okay to have standards that are higher than one top 15 finish in six years and no conference championships in that span. It's OK to give Pelini more time too, to be fair. We could go either way right now. And nobody knows what's the 'right' way.

this is a myth. bo was hired to win championships, he knows that. he has not. the next guy hired, whenever that may be, will be hired to win championships. and the next guy will know that.

i do not want a coach who is afraid of high standards and great expectations.

I don't see your argument. Plain and simple, if you fire a 9-win head coach (ESPECIALLY for the 2nd time in a decade) it will be difficult to find a big name head coach who will even think about getting hired by Nebraska without laughing.