RB Noel Devine

I don't normally have a lot of sympathy for a lot of these kids coming from tough backgrounds, but this kid has had a rough life. Losing both parents from AIDS at a young age? Being bounced around from house to house?

Yikes. Here's hoping he finds a positive role model wherever he goes so he can make a future for himself and those kids of his.

Deion Sanders

Decision like this takes time

Originally published on February 08, 2007

ALSO FROM NEWS-PRESS.COM

Forum: Post feedback on Deion's last column

Understand this, Noel Devine is like a son to me. I have fame and wealth, so I don’t need anything from him. I have three sons, so I’m not trying to live vicariously through him.

My motives are as pure as a child’s love.

I get emotional when I talk about Noel because we have such a complex relationship.

We connect on so many different levels: friend, mentor, father, athlete.

To sum it all up, let’s just say I love the kid. I care about his future. There are so many things I’d like to tell you, but I have a 500-word limit, so I’ll make this short and sweet.

First, let me address North Fort Myers coach James Iandoli’s remarks Wednesday on Rivals.com, where he indicated that he’s frustrated by the process. Why? This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Noel.

Besides, isn’t he the same man who ripped this kid the night he fumbled in their playoff loss, while telling ESPN that he’s been like a father to Noel? Well, that was a shock to me and Noel. I could never see myself telling a kid, “Nice fumble,” at the conclusion of one of the biggest games of his life. By the way coach, he called me in tears that night, and I had to put the pieces back together after you shattered his spirit.

Never forget, this is about Noel. It’s not about the schools. Or the recruiting services.

Or anybody or anything else.

I’d like to applaud the entire staff at North Fort Myers High School, especially principal Kim Lunger and assistant principal Ken Burns, because they’ve been supportive and understanding throughout this whole process.

As you all know, Noel is one of the top running backs in the nation, which warrants much attention. There would be even more hype if every school knew that he would qualify academically. That’s why there has been a short, but quality list of schools

looking for his signature on a letter-of-intent.

Let’s take a look at them.

My old roommate Odell Haggins is recruiting him for Florida State. I love my former school, but I wouldn’t recommend the Seminoles. Why? Their record the past few years, their poor offense and their inconsistency at quarterback. You want me to give my blessing to an undersized running back in a situation like that?

The problem I have with the University of Florida is they signed everyone but my grandmama — and that’s only because she’s lost a couple of steps. Besides, it’s too close to home. But my conversations with coach Urban Meyer have gone very well.

Then there’s Alabama. I spoke to Nick Saban just a few hours before I wrote this column. He’s saying and doing all the right things and seems to be the disciplinarian coach I’d like for Noel to have, but this is his first year at Alabama. You have to show us something first.

That takes us to West Virginia, where Noel verbally committed. I talked to Rich Rodriguez early Wednesday morning. Noel had a wonderful visit, but I was troubled by a couple of things they suggested. They were going to allow Noel to live off-campus with his child’s mother.

I asked Rodriguez what happens if Candace — who I have great respect for and think is a wonderful mother — and Noel have problems like every other relationship in America. God forbid, she decided to leave with the child in the middle of the season. How would that affect Noel, considering all of the loss and tragedy he’s dealt with in his life?

Besides, I don’t agree with freshmen living off-campus, especially considering the problems he had with attendance in high school.

Here’s the truth: He doesn’t need to go to college right now. He needs a prep school, like Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y., which we visited last month.

I don’t know how much Noel enjoyed his trip, but a prep school would allow him to get away from the only place he’s ever known as home and find himself. It would force him to deal with being lonely and homesick, which would help him mature.

Most important, it would help him commit to his studies in a way he’s never done before, so that he could qualify academically and choose to play at any Division I school in America. He would also retain a full four years of college eligibility but be able to declare for the NFL draft, if his talent allows, following his sophomore year.

The thing people don’t understand about being in the spotlight is that while it causes you to shine ever so brightly, it also shows all of your blemishes.

And for those who wonder what makes me an expert, all I can say is, “I’ve been there and done that — quite well I might add.”

God Bless and God willing, I’ll hollah at you next week.

— Deion Sanders, a North Fort Myers High School graduate, played in the NFL and Major League Baseball. He currently works as an analyst for the NFL Network and is part-owner of the Austin Wranglers of the Arena Football League

• 1 month later...

Highly touted running back joins Mountaineers class

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- Running back Noel Devine, the No. 6-rated prospect in Scouts Inc.'s class of 2007, has signed a letter of intent to attend West Virginia University.

RecruitTracker

Who will be the next crop of college stars? Check out Scouts Inc.'s RecruitTracker 2007 Insider

Mountaineers coach Rich Rodriguez made the announcement Friday.

Devine was highly prized out of North Fort Myers (Fla.) High. The 5-foot-8, 170-pound back finished his senior season with 2,148 yards rushing and 31 touchdowns and set school and Lee County career rushing records with 6,846 yards and 92 touchdowns.

He was the third-rated running back on ESPN.com's RecruitTracker.

"We're very excited that Noel has made the decision to join the Mountaineer family," Rodriguez said in a statement. "We know he is working hard to meet all his eligibility requirements, and we're confident he can get that done."

Devine has been raised by different family members in North Fort Myers following the deaths of both of his parents when he was young. After a breakout sophomore season, Deion Sanders, a native of Fort Myers, tried to adopt Devine. Although Devine moved with Sanders to his Texas ranch, he ultimately returned to North Fort Myers.

Devine was selected for the U.S. Army All-America game, and was listed among the top prep honorees by publications across the nation, rushing for more than 1,100 yards as a freshman, 1,600 as a sophomore, 1,900 as a junior and 2,100 as a senior. Last fall, he led the Red Knights to an 11-2 mark and the third round of the Florida state playoffs.

ESPN Conversation

10 comments on "Highly touted running back joins Mountaineers cl