Eric the Red

RB Noel Devine

Jeremy Crabtree said on 1620 today that Florida State is pushing hard for him and is theirs to lose.

FSU is in decline! Huskers need to be all over this one! chuckleshuffle

Jeremy Crabtree said on 1620 today that Florida State is pushing hard for him and is theirs to lose.

We've already got 2 RB's and maybe Bo Williams. There's no way this kid is getting into college. Look for him coming out of JUCO

We've already got 2 RB's and maybe Bo Williams. There's no way this kid is getting into college. Look for him coming out of JUCO

I agree. I wouldn't be too put out if we don't get Devine. Williams or Clay (a bit of a longshot) are the guys I want.

PS - I don't really understand the allure that FLA kids have for the 'Noles. Obviously, it is a program on the decline (they should fall out of the Top 25 this week after last night's loss - when was the last time Miami and FSU were unranked?); I guess FLA kids just don't like to leave home...

Not trying to start rumors or anything...but is it true that this kid moved in with Deion Sanders and ended up stealing one of his cars, going to the airport and then fly back home? Saw some people discussing him and made him sound like plain trouble...

I bring this up in this thread, becase Mr. Devine seems to be the perfect candidate for what I'm going to talk about.

I've heard a lot of people state that they don't want him because all of his "troubles". I think that this is one area that we have above the FL schools, and USC. A lot less distractions where some of this kids who have had problems in the past can really turn their life around, if they so choose.

Does that mean that I want to take every talented trouble maker out there? No, we are not Miami. But, if the coaches talk with this kid, and the reason they are coming to UNL is to focus on academics and football, they I am more than willing to take a chance on them.

If we take this approach, it also will mean that the coaching staff will have to run a tight ship. Something that I think BC is more than capable of. He has kicked quite a few off the team for "violation of team policies".

Anybod else think that this is a recruiting advantage we have or am I just a moron? (it could be both mind you).

if you saw his video, he is definetly worth the chance.

and by what im hearing, he is going to graduate, he has been taking school much more seriously.

what are the chances of Noel coming to NU

10%

50%

0%

if he is as good as being touted would he or the other running backs in the stable be happy with the running back by committee?

I think it all comes down to if he is willing to leave the South. If so, I think he's N.

I notice he is the same size as Danny Woodhead who was knocked for being too small. Sometimes you have to throw the charts out the window and see what the player can do.

Yeah that was Tom Luginbill of Scout and ESPN.com

He said that Devine is the real deal and is only issue is his size and what his durability would be over a season. But he said he might be durable like Warrick Dunn so who knows.

The big issue is his academics. He has done well in his core classes this year and even retook some classes and got much better grades. The issue is the NCAA clearnghouse and whether they will recognize the credits from the classes he retook.

Devine certainly does have some baggage but Luginbill said he is a good kid with the "yes sir, no sir" demeanor. I thought he said that both of Devine's parents are dead (died of AIDS?) and that he grew up in the foster care system. He also had the trauma of witnessing his best friend get shot and die right in front of him. Yet Luginbill said Devine has his life on the right path.

He thought Devine might end up at Nebraska, Florida State or West Virginia.

Of those three I think he fits the WVU system better. Though I would love him to be N. Also with our number of backs, durability wouldnt be an issue as he wouldnt get 30 carries a game

He thought Devine might end up at Nebraska, Florida State or West Virginia.

I continue to like what I hear about this guy. We can beat FSU and WVU in recruiting for him. Cally does run a tight ship and this guy could be worth it. We need to land him or Bo Williams...don't see us getting both but we should get one or the other. The way our offense is playing we need to start getting some RB's to be ready when our current crop moves on so there is no drop off.

How about Devine and Okafor in the coming years?! :o

Bobby Bowden is supposed to be placing an in home visit this week. Jeremy Crabtree was saying that with Florida State's current situation he can basically tell Devine he'll be starting next year.

NU's only chance is John Blake.

Bobby Bowden is supposed to be placing an in home visit this week. Jeremy Crabtree was saying that with Florida State's current situation he can basically tell Devine he'll be starting next year.

I thought that Mendoza taking the final rb spot meant that we were done with Devine.

I thought that Mendoza taking the final rb spot meant that we were done with Devine.

Yeah. I thought we were done at RB...

you guys are nuts to think we would turn a player like devine away....

we are still in it for him too, we are trying real hard to help him get qualified

I don't think it is real wise for us to bring in four running backs this year. I am all for getting all the talent that we can but I would much rather have it be at more than one position.

Castille will most likely be a fullback though, and there are talks of Mendoza playing another position, so it's not as many true running backs as it would seem, and you can't turn away a player like this

Castille will most likely be a fullback though, and there are talks of Mendoza playing another position, so it's not as many true running backs as it would seem, and you can't turn away a player like this

From what I have read and heard, they are looking at Castille as a feature back. Mendoza is an all-purpose back and I am not sure how Helu fits in. Maybe they would look to move him to LB if Devine was going to come aboard. They explained these three as Castille=Glenn, Mendoza=Lucky, Helu=B-Jax. Jordan said "there is only one rb spot left" so Mendoza commited. Was that his sales pitch? Who knows.

I think that mendoza will play RB before Helu does. I thought i had heard helu likes to hit and might be a Safety prospect? Of course there is always talk...so who knows.

You cannot deny talent that wants to play for you. Each class has a lot of good players.... but very few playmakers/gamebreakers like this kid looks like. I think the coaches have more schollies than some are predicting, cuz there could be some quitters/transfers/early draft entrants...etc.

devine is going to start as a freshman, where ever he goes......he may put AP to shame as well.....

I'm not sure about that...AP was more physically gifted as far as weight and muscle, Devine is tiny. Can he take the physical pounding.

I am not sure what all the love for Devine is for. I've seen his videos and yes he is shifty and hard to bring down but AP was a freshman heisman winner (they didn't want to give it to a freshman so the usc homos took it) and a bad a$$. It is easy for someone to say who the next Barry Sanders is on these boards, hell I've seen McFadden, Goodsen and Spiller and that is just from last years class, but will he actually be that good?

Probably will look like it because he is going to end up in a junior college. But I doubt he is a finalist at the heisman his freshman year if he does go D1A.

devine is going to start as a freshman, where ever he goes......he may put AP to shame as well.....

No way does he put AP to shame. Peterson was maybe one of the greatest freshman running backs of all time. If not for injuries, he may have been the best collegiate running back of all time. For Devine to actually put AP to shame, he would have to run for over 2000 yards as a freshman. Be the focal point of an offense, win the heisman, and lead a team to a national championship. I just don't see Devine doing that. He very well could be a great back in is own right, but will never put AP to shame.

comparing these 2 is crazy. they are complete opposites. there is no way that Noel will get 100 yard running between the tackles, doesnt have the size or strength to do that.

there is no way that Noel will get 100 yard running between the tackles, doesnt have the size or strength to do that.

Ya know, they say the same thing about Warrick Dunn and he is still doing it 10 years later.

Who knows about the little guys they can get the job done sometimes as well so you just can't know.......There is no way I can compare him to AP though.......

size and strength isnt everything (too many examples to name)....and noel is VERY stong for his size. he has amazing balance, speed, moves, acceleration, everything.

It baffles me when fans wouldnt want him coming...or even doubting his ability.

At this point with the way Urban has Florida heading.....he's Florida's to lose!

to say nothing of the fact that florida doesnt have a running back worth spit on the roster right now. a WR has ahd most of thier big runs.

At this point with the way Urban has Florida heading.....he's Florida's to lose!

to say nothing of the fact that florida doesnt have a running back worth spit on the roster right now. a WR has ahd most of thier big runs.

Then Florida should offer him a scholarship

Hoping for Devine and getting him are 2 very distinct things at this point - the way Cally & Co. are stockpiling RB's with the vast majority of them sitting on the sidelines and not getting any playing time will start scaring RB recruits away. Lucky was THE MAN coming out of high school along with J.Stewart who went to Oregon. Stewart starts for Oregon and averaged 15 carries a game. Lucky averaged 9. High school kids see that, along with the numerous other recruits already on board. Castille is starting to shy away as will Bo and Noel.

Hoping for Devine and getting him are 2 very distinct things at this point - the way Cally & Co. are stockpiling RB's with the vast majority of them sitting on the sidelines and not getting any playing time will start scaring RB recruits away. Lucky was THE MAN coming out of high school along with J.Stewart who went to Oregon. Stewart starts for Oregon and averaged 15 carries a game. Lucky averaged 9. High school kids see that, along with the numerous other recruits already on board. Castille is starting to shy away as will Bo and Noel.

And if Lucky had seperated himself as DA MAN he would be getting the carries instead of BJax.

Is this fight the only thing that he has as far as a troubled past is concerned. If it is, then I consider it no big deal. But if he has other problems, then I say we go else where.

Is this fight the only thing that he has as far as a troubled past is concerned. If it is, then I consider it no big deal. But if he has other problems, then I say we go else where.

I think he got into trouble while living with Deion Sanders in Texas. I think he stole one of Deion's cars. I believe Deion tried to adopt him, or let him live with him for a while. I may be wrong, but I think I remeber reading that somewhere.

he took one of his cars to the airport because he wanted to go back to texas.

i dont care what baggage he has, whoever gets him...he will win games for them.