Viewing into the Crystal Ball

For a few days I've been sitting here and trying to wrap my head around the two arguments of the two sides. Earlier I was reading the couple of articles on ESPN CFN Nation (Nebraska). Got me thinking what would we be in for if the A: Bo is fired, or the B: Bo is retained

Bo Has to Go and this happens:

A. Recruiting

1. Chances of recruiting changes because of college football landscape and natural obstacles that faces Nebraska
*Even*
2.Quality of Character Guys
*Minus 1*
3. Loss of 2014+ Commits
*Minus 1*
4. Depth Issues in 3 to 4 years
*Minus 1*

Projected Outcome *Minus 3*

B. Quality of Coaching Staff

1. Hire a coach and the likelihood of getting a big name coach is unlikely, and end up hiring an unknown.
*minus 1*
Unless they hire Ken Niumatalolo, and re-install the option
*plus 2*
2. Hire really good assistance that would jump at the chance of coming to Nebraska
*plus 1*
3. Hire a coaching staff that understands the Nebraska Culture, the walk on program and the Nebraska Way is unlikely
*Minus 1*
4. Better on field demeanor
*Plus 1*

Projected Outcome *Even, possible Plus 1*

C. 2014 Season

1. Change in offensive playbook
*Minus 1*
2. Change in defensive playbook
*Minus 1*
3. Conflicts with coaching changes and less than a handful of players transfer
*minus 1*
4. Change of playbooks create lack of identity and lose to Fresno St. and Miami, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and a team we shouldn't lose too end up 8-5 for the season.
*Minus 2*

Projected Outcome *Minus 5*

D. 2015-17 Seasons

1. Continuity of both playbooks
*Plus 2/Possible Minus 1*
2. Depth Issues due to changes of playbook changes
*Minus 1/Possible Plus 1*
3. Chances of winning 27 games for these season likely
*Plus 3/Possible Even*

Projected Outcome *Even/Plus 4*

E. 2018 Season

1. Lack of recruiting of first year hits hard.
*Minus 2*
2. Schedule looks rough with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and snowball effect losses to Northwestern, and Iowa. 7-6 or 6-7 season.
*Minus 3*
(Explanation is B.C. was a known good recruiter, bad at developing players, Bo is an average recruiter and pretty good at developing players. Next coach probably won't be much better at recruiting, and probably would project to get with average development)

Projected Outcome *Minus 5*

Total Projected*Minus 13/Possible Minus 8*

Retain Bo

A. Recruiting

1. Chances of recruiting changes because of college football landscape and natural obstacles that faces Nebraska
*Even*
2.Quality of Character Guys
*Even*
3. Bo recruits off season very well
*Plus 1*
4. Depth looks good right now
*Plus 1*

Projected Outcome *Plus 2*

B. Quality of Coaching Staff

1. Quality of coaching staff is a known quantity.
*Even*
2. Same on field demeanor
*Minus 1*

Projected Outcome *Minus 1*

C. 2014 Season

1. Continuity in offensive playbook
*Plus 1*
2. Continuity in defensive playbook
*Plus 1*
3. 2014 Season is harder than 2013, but players are playing better
Projected 10-3 season Finishing behind Wisconsin/Michigan State
*Minus 1
BCS Bowl Bid
*Plus 1*

Projected Outcome *Plus 2*

D. 2015-17 Seasons

1. Continued continuity of both playbooks
*Plus 2*
2. Continuity of recruiting limits depth problems
*Plus 1*
3. Chances of winning 30 games in span possible to good
*Plus 1*

Projected Outcome *Plus 4*

E. 2018 Season

1. Continued Continuity of playbooks and players *Plus 1
2. Schedule looks rough with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Bo's teams show a lot of heart and fight. Nebraska Ends up winning 8 to 9 games this year
*Minus 1*

Projected Outcome *Even*

Total Projected *Plus 7*

There is no real way to really tell what is going to happen, but even though I'm not using anything scientific in these predictions, its common knowledge what a program goes through with a coaching change.

Anti/Pro Bo we can all agree that our huskers are basket cases. The Solich/Callahan/and Pelini years have all been about the same. Shooting themselves in the foot, often beating themselves more than the other team beating them has plagued this team longer than Bo has been here.

As much as I am disappointed in the beating ourselves in recent years, I have a gut feeling that we would be much worse off firing Bo.

History shows that patience pays off.

Nebraska won't 9 games next year with a new coach.

Nebraska might be better after that first year.

Recruiting won't magically get better. We are not a destination place.

You might not take this as being objective, but all things relative who the hell knows. One thing I do know, is I'd rather be what we are today than a bottom feeder and a shell at the very least what we are today.

• Fire 7

I like the look down the road approach.

I've also thought how long would it take to "turn things around" and how it would affect morale and coaching players will whole new systems in place. The more I think about the negatives of a coaching change I'm convinced that this season, plus the next four under Bo would mean greater success than wholesale change at this point.

A coach coming in next year would have to have IMMEDIATE championship type success or it would be a wash/backslide from what we currently have.

We lost a 4 year starter QB (all big 10) and an all American OL. Our defense is playing lights out right now and should be good starting right away next year. Our schedule likes up nice next year with a ton of talent returning w experience.

If we win 10 games this year, and start over w change, it'll be really hard to accept anything but an 11-1 10-2 record w a championship as not being better than what we could have if Bo gets another shot.