DJR313

Player: Jimmy Clausen

Hometown: Westlake Village, CA

Position: QB

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 202

40 time: 4.78

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Over 12 including: USC, Notre Dame, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma

Favorites: Committed to Notre Dame

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/ :star:star:star:star:star

Bid Red Report: NR/ :star:star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: There’s plenty written about him already. Really nothing I can say that hasn’t. He can make all the throws already: on the run, under center, shotgun, slants, long ball and all kinds of screens. His film is a thing of beauty. His motion and technique are fluent. In 27 games as a sophomore and junior, he has over 6,000 yards passing, throwing virtually 1,000 more as a sophomore. He already has over 80 touchdown passes, including 58 as a sophomore. His completion percentage is over 65% and has less than 10 interceptions in each of his years leading Oaks Christian.

"DJR313:What about Jimmy Claussen? I saw a special on ESPN Outside the Lines and they said he will be the Lebron James of Football, as far as hyped prodigies go. He said he has been offered by several top schools, I was just curious if Nebraska was looking his way."

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 0% Who knows???

NU QB target for 2007 Ryan Mallett took a trip to the cotton bowl as a guest of the Longhorns to watch the red river shootout. Texas is amoung one of the many schools vying for his services. Other schools currently interested in him include Arkansas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Miami, Oklahoma,  USC, Florida, Florida St, Cal, and UCLA just to name a few. Nebraska is the only team to have offered him a scholarship so far.

Ryan has already taken in a NU summer camp, in addition to Camps at Arkansas, Michigan, and Texas. Jay Norvell is currently recruiting him

What about Jimmy Claussen? I saw a special on ESPN Outside the Lines and they said he will be the Lebron James of Football, as far as hyped prodigies go. He said he has been offered by several top schools, I was just curious if Nebraska was looking his way.

Let me put it this way. Jimmy Clausen is a freak of nature frame wise and talent wise. You are right though about his reputation. This guy is going to be a MONSTER player in college and he is going to be a household name for anyone and everyone who watches college football. This guy will end up winning a Hiesman and you can quote me on that. 14-0 record, 58 touchdowns and 3700 yards throwing is impressive, but get this. Those are his Soph stats. Oh and get this. Claussen has put up more touchdowns in his Sophmore year then Steve Young and Jim McMahon did in their junior and senior years combined. Claussen could even pass up the most unbelieveable high school football QB of all time Tim Couch. Couch when he left high school had thrown 133 TD passes, 12,100 yards, completed 872 passes, and had a completion percentage of 75%.

Now that i have basically spoken about his freankess on the field, lets talk recruiting. Both Casey and Ricky Claussen (Jimmy's older brothers) played at Tennessee and Casey Claussen is a GA at Mississippi St. All the power house schools (Florida St, USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan, LSU, Tennessee, Ohio St, Florida, Miami, Cal, UCLA...etc) have offered him and he's already at 30 offers right now. I won't even try to say Nebraska has a chance with him right now because he really isn't looking at recruiting, so it would be speculation on my part if i did.

Claussen's team is 4-0 (1-0 conference) on the season and have blown out every team they have played (outscored opponents 220-29)

2005 football scores

Oak Christian 57-Muir 0

Oak Christian 48-Grace Brethren 7

Oak Christian 50-Burbank 10

Oak Christian 65-Santa Paula 12

They are currently ranked number 1 in the 2005 Coaches/Sportswriters Football Polls

Claussen passing stats (only) so far in 4 games: 51 of 73 for 971 yards and 2 interceptions (70% completion percentage)

• 2 months later...

I dont think that NU has a chance of landing this guy but it is nice to dream. do you think that this guy will live up to the hype. I remember when Eli Manning was in high school he was supposed to be better than Peyton but that didnt happen in college and it will never happen in the pro's.

I did watch him on outside the lines on ESPN and this kid does look good check that GREAT.

I think that recruiting battle might end up looking like the the one on the movie "Johnny Be Good" some college might just get into trouble over this kid.

The Huskers dont have zero chance, and there are two reasons for that. One is that we do have tremendous recruiters who may possibly be able to secure a visit. Two is our gameday atmosphere. If we do get him here on a visit, I always believe that there will be an opportunity to land anyone. The chances of this happening are very low, but a young team on its way up with little competition compared to the USC's of the world may appeal to young Clausen, so you never know....

The chances of this happening are very low, but a young team on its way up with little competition compared to the USC's of the world may appeal to young Clausen, so you never know....

and that's how i'd put it to the kid: zac will be going on to better things, beck will be (from all signs, mind you) the starter and we're gonna need a general-in-training.

and if clausen is as good as everyone says, he could have every chance in the world to get the top job to boot.

i've seen the future: it's looks sweet, and i'm from the outside looking in.

imagine what it could look to a kid when a coach with fire like callahan or blake gets a moment to present the program?

our biggest downfall might be that we dont have a ex-QB as a QB coach. nothing against Norvell but i have always had a problem with that. how can an ex-tightend tell a QB his mechanics are wrong or whatever. a guy like Clausen, if he is as good as predicted whouldnt need that much coaching in that aspect. but he may be looking for a school that has all of the coaching to get him to the next level.

food for thought.

our biggest downfall might be that we dont have a ex-QB as a QB coach. nothing against Norvell but i have always had a problem with that. how can an ex-tightend tell a QB his mechanics are wrong or whatever. a guy like Clausen, if he is as good as predicted whouldnt need that much coaching in that aspect. but he may be looking for a school that has all of the coaching to get him to the next level.

food for thought.

As much as Norvell could know, your right. Kids will look at things so many different ways. I believe he was a WR's coach with Indy.

Clausen is going to be tough to pull regardless of the coach.

JMHO, I would focus more on guys like Phillip Bates, Ryan Mallet and LaTravis Washington for our QB in next years class.

Washington and Bates are two very realistics choices with Mallet being a bit behind that.

Mallet will probably end up at Arkansas or Texas, IMO.

Also, Washington and Bates would be huge gets for their versatility. If Washington were to flame out at QB, he could play anywhere from WR, CB, S or even OLB due to his strength and build. Bates could likely play WR, S and maybe some CB. That's the great thing about recruiting versatile QB's.

• 3 weeks later...