Becks comments

You're telling me that Bo Pelini is incompetent? Because he's one game of a freshman making freshman mistakes away from playing for a conference title?

I'll give you poor coaching decisions. I'll give you that it was a bad call not to try Tommy or Ron against Minnesota. Or that it was a bad call to leave Tommy in the MSU game until the last drive. Bad decisions, no two ways about it.

But incompetent?

Oi.

Or turn the tables and one lucky pass away from being 6-5 right now. We lose to NW and we don't win at Michigan IMO.

The issue here is that the coaches should know better than to listen to the vocal minority and they are the ones who should be helping the players figure out they have to tune it out, but that doesn't seem to be happening. With comments like this from Beck and what I assume is the constant us against the world (including our f'ing fans) message from Bo, it's little wonder that the players struggle dealing with it. Hate to tell ya but it happens in every fanbase and I have to believe, if anything, it is better at Nebraska than many places. Maybe these coaches should ignore the bullsh#t and focus on getting this team to play a complete game. Want reduced chatter? Then take away some of the reasons for it. Anybody who tries to tell you that the Husker/Lincoln environment for this type of thing is bad or worse than other places is full of sh#t. These coaches need to grow up and start setting an example that will help the team deal with it better.

I have far less problem with 18 to 22 year old kids taking stuff personally or speaking out about negative experiences. My issue is with a staff that gets paid large amounts of money to "coach". As coaches, you should be the adults in the situation, especially at this high level,with this kind of money involved. Instead, we have a bunch of highly paid rookies who act just as childish as their team when they face criticism. They shouldn't be fueling this negativity. Clearly if we are seeing it so blatantly in the media, I can only imagine the speeches we don't see.

Sadly this is their FIRST TIME AT THIS.

I do agree with you, sadly your post in BS. So because they make make more money than you their not allowed to have an opinion! your post is childish and it's obvious your not capable to understand this.

pathetic. :facepalm:

I'm someone who doesn't think Bo should be let go, but this culture of "us-against-the-fans," is one of the biggest indictments of his coaching staff.

I like posting on this board because I like Nebraska, and I like football. I enjoy talking about the game of football. It's a great chess match. I don't know that much about it, and I wouldn't be able to teach someone proper throwing mechanics or how to tackle properly. I barely understand gap integrity or how adjusting a blocking scheme can affect a defense.

However - to the players and coaches - I do know how to fix this: STOP READING ABOUT YOURSELVES. Stop reading what random people post on Twitter or on message boards, stop reading articles about you in the paper, stop listening to talk radio shows that are about you.

Anybody who has ever written a great TV show, or a great song, or a great book, or anything that has to do with show business or entertainment (which absolutely includes sports) has learned this lesson. You have to stop reading what other people say about you, and you have to stop caring so much about what other people think. Focus on yourselves, on getting better each day, with each rep.

It's unbelievable to me that our staff hasn't figured this out. Our fan base isn't any more positive or negative than any other fan base. When we start 5-0 and beat a good team on the road, we all think we're going to be playing for the national championship. When we lose 3 games with what everyone thought was going to be an easy schedule, people will become negative. Learning to block out all of that static noise is part of taking this game one day at a time, one game at a time, otherwise you'll never handle success and failure equally. It doesn't seem like a coincidence to me that Bo's teams have routinely played hard and fought to get tough wins when their back is against the wall, but when they have all the momentum in the world - they falter.

• Fire 1

It's comments like this that bring situations to a head. Pelini is good enough on his own in creating a thin skinned, toxic, us-vs.-everyone atmosphere around the program. You don't have a good relationship with the fans, Beck?

Well, I got news: When you stop needing miracles to beat teams like 7-loss, zero-conference-win Northwestern, or 56-scholarship Penn State; when you stop leading the nation in fumbles year after (after year); when your vaunted, veteran offense (fifty points a game, man, you heard it here first) doesn't go scoreless in the second half of the UCLA meltdown; when you don't implode against doormats like Minnesota, or surrender easily winnable games like MSU because of systemic incompetence; in short, when you start putting a product on the field befitting your salary and position at this university, then you and your players will have a relationship with the fanbase largely free of serious criticism.

Until that day comes, shut. the f*#k. up.

P.S. And don't make me laugh about players "counting down the days" until they're done. Good. Get rid of that cancer. Cut it out now, before the Iowa game. Don't even let those non-hackers put on the jersey. You signed up for big boy football at a big boy program. No, I don't excuse a-hole fans who are out of line, but get real. They exist in every major fanbase of every major program and cannot be avoided. I've seen other message boards in comparable situations: it gets absolutely vile. But CFB is show business. It comes with the territory. When you sign that LOI so you can get the free housing, the free food, the free gear, the free education, and all the perks of being a genuine celebrity with a shot at an NFL career, best brace yourself to handle more emotional storms than random idiots chattering on Twitter.

We are living on the west coast. We don't watch the games live this year - I think this is a fundamental event. We've never waited and watched the DVR copy of the game delayed before this season. We've always been pumped to watch the Huskers play live - but this year if different. I, like most Nebraskans, have put a lot of my heart into being a Husker Fan over the years - but I don't see the spirit, the commitment, the drive in our teams (and Coaches) the last few years and I'm getting tired of putting so much of myself on the line, into winning or losing - or losing very, very bad. I will still support and be proud of the "N," but I don't hold much faith in things getting better without real some changes. How does the Penn State Coaching staff recover that team from the Hell they went through two years ago and "STILL" take it to the Huskers for all they were worth? Wyoming? Minnesota? Blowing the UCLA game?

I live on the west coast also but I have yet NOT been able to see a game live on TV. I'm tickled to death that I've been able to see them. :bigredn:

I have far less problem with 18 to 22 year old kids taking stuff personally or speaking out about negative experiences. My issue is with a staff that gets paid large amounts of money to "coach". As coaches, you should be the adults in the situation, especially at this high level,with this kind of money involved. Instead, we have a bunch of highly paid rookies who act just as childish as their team when they face criticism. They shouldn't be fueling this negativity. Clearly if we are seeing it so blatantly in the media, I can only imagine the speeches we don't see.

I do agree with you, sadly your post in BS. So because they make make more money than you their not allowed to have an opinion! your post is childish and it's obvious your not capable to understand this.

Yes. My post is BS. I'm not capable to understand. And because they are paid more, they should not have opinions. All of those things are true except for 3 of them.

Yes. My post is BS. I'm not capable to understand. And because they are paid more, they should not have opinions. All of those things are true except for 3 of them.

please enplane why a person shouldn't be allowed to stand up for himself, team or supporting cast because he make's money.

If you don't understand that there are better ways to deal with criticism instead of blowing it out of proportion or painting an entire fan base with negativity then I can't explain it to you. Every coach in this country deals with adversity. When Beck was asked about the hot/cold relationship with this fan base why couldn't he simply have said " Yes, Taylor has dealt with some ups and downs here, but he will leave his senior year here remembering the great Husker fans that supported him during his record setting career here at Nebraska. ". Hell, anything like that would have answered the question and not have a thread on Huskerboard created about it. Yet, instead, he says "Who has a GOOD relationship with this fan base?". So once again, we paint the entire fan base as a$$hole$, much like an audio tape another coach on this staff had. Then we will blame those damn fans for creating this drama.

So yes, if you are a coach, a leader of young men, that gets paid a lot of money to represent them and this program in the right way, yet instead you act like that, that doesn't display leadership very well.

What else can you find that you don't "get" about it?

• Fire 4
If you don't understand that there are better ways to deal with criticism instead of blowing it out of proportion or painting an entire fan base with negativity then I can't explain it to you. Every coach in this country deals with adversity. When Beck was asked about the hot/cold relationship with this fan base why couldn't he simply have said " Yes, Taylor has dealt with some ups and downs here, but he will leave his senior year here remembering the great Husker fans that supported him during his record setting career here at Nebraska. ". Hell, anything like that would have answered the question and not have a thread on Huskerboard created about it. Yet, instead, he says "Who has a GOOD relationship with this fan base?". So once again, we paint the entire fan base as a$$hole$, much like an audio tape another coach on this staff had. Then we will blame those damn fans for creating this drama.

So yes, if you are a coach, a leader of young men, that gets paid a lot of money to represent them and this program in the right way, yet instead you act like that, that doesn't display leadership very well.

Perfect +1

More and more of these kinds of comments are really starting to suggest to me that this is how they really feel. And that would be sad. But it would also be easy to suggest that it would come full circle to explain how so many times it appears that the team comes out totally flat for a game. Must be hard to get up to play for 90,000 people whom your coaching staff appears to be upset with.

It's upsetting me more and more the more I think about it. Someone wanna pull me off the ledge?

There's a really jaded quality to these guys after a while. You can't live in a fishbowl like they do and expect to have a normal perspective.

It's not a bad thing or a good thing. It's just a reality. Their perspective is very different from ours. They have no idea, and never will, what it's like to sit in those seats for 30 years. Most of us here will never know what it's like to have a locker in that locker room.

As jaded as we get as fans, as disappointed as we are with the "failures" of this team, it's still 8-3 with possibly two more wins to come. And we're still upset about it. This board is full of detractors, complaints and gripes.

Why should the players be different?

I imagine is is tough for a young player who dominated at high school ball and had multitudes of coaches begging him to play for their program to face the criticism that goes with a major program. But it is up to the coaches to display leadership. Instead of fueling the negativity, the coaches should set an example by ignoring the negative fans and embracing the millions of fans that love the Huskers.

please enplane why a person shouldn't be allowed to stand up for himself, team or supporting cast because he make's money.

Beck is supposed to be an adult and an ostensible professional, yet, he stands up for himself by having a "NOBODY LIKES ME!!!" tantrum. It wasn't a reasoned response to criticism, it was saying that EVERYONE HATES THE TEAM *cry cry*. Here's how a professional would have addressed this same issue and stood up for his team: "Yeah, there are a few people out there who seem to have it in for us, but the vast majority of Nebraska fans can see that we're making progress." Something like that-- "This much larger group of fans supports us" instead of "nobody likes meh." Is that clearer?

Wish I could +1 this more.

Beck is supposed to be an adult and an ostensible professional, yet, he stands up for himself by having a "NOBODY LIKES ME!!!" tantrum. It wasn't a reasoned response to criticism, it was saying that EVERYONE HATES THE TEAM *cry cry*. Here's how a professional would have addressed this same issue and stood up for his team: "Yeah, there are a few people out there who seem to have it in for us, but the vast majority of Nebraska fans can see that we're making progress." Something like that-- "This much larger group of fans supports us" instead of "nobody likes meh." Is that clearer?

LOL