Becks comments

Beck's comment......not so bright...it just throws fuel on the fire...no comment would have been better.

You see I don't have a problem with him being honest in his comment. I don't know how many times I have read on message boards that "All they here is coach speak and blah, blah, blah." When a coach actually says something that is pretty true, some fans don't like it.

You can't have everything both ways.

The relationship that fans have had with Taylor Martinez had been very love/hate. He was just being honest and you don't like it.

I could care less what Beck thinks or says regarding the fans....but in the long run, he just adds more controversy....if that is his choice, then so be it.....he and Bo are obviously on the same page here..

Yeah 94, but your agenda is that BP and his staff should be fired, so of coarse you don't like what he said.

Whatever happens, happens as far as I am concerned I am tired of all the bitching. I myself don't ever listen to press conferences and I don't read something into that is said by every coach or player.

It is not adding fuel to the fire for me because I don't hang on every word uttered by BP his staff or the players on the Nebraska football team.

Here is the spin: article saluting the toughness of Taylor Martinez by the coaches, and then said article spends the majority of the piece detailing the supposed divide between the team and the fans. Talk about agenda.
It is agenda that ANOTHER coach said something bad about the fanbase? Are you really blaming the media for this right now?

I am not defending Beck about what he said. If the OWH wants to put out a piece about the toughness of T.Mart, then fine. Don't label it something and then spend the majority of the article talking about the divide between the fans and the team. That is an agenda.

it seems that Bo has nutured an "us against the fans" mentality with the team. add in tape gate and i can understand how the relationship got to this point.

He absolutely has. From the coaches to the towel boys. Rather than bothering to try and build good will with the fans, he's taken shots at them. It's not smart from a PR move, and definitely doesn't give yourself any leeway when a season doesn't turn out the way everyone had hoped.

I am 100% convinced that his hot seat would be a lot cooler if he would think before he spoke.

• Fire 4

Here is the spin: article saluting the toughness of Taylor Martinez by the coaches, and then said article spends the majority of the piece detailing the supposed divide between the team and the fans. Talk about agenda.
It is agenda that ANOTHER coach said something bad about the fanbase? Are you really blaming the media for this right now?

I am not defending Beck about what he said. If the OWH wants to put out a piece about the toughness of T.Mart, then fine. Don't label it something and then spend the majority of the article talking about the divide between the fans and the team. That is an agenda.

It's always hilarious to me to read the amount of butthurt over a newspaper article. "DIRK IS MEAN!!!"

• Fire 1

Beck's comment......not so bright...it just throws fuel on the fire...no comment would have been better.

You see I don't have a problem with him being honest in his comment. I don't know how many times I have read on message boards that "All they here is coach speak and blah, blah, blah." When a coach actually says something that is pretty true, some fans don't like it.

The relationship that fans have had with Taylor Martinez had been very love/hate. He was just being honest and you don't like it.

I could care less what Beck thinks or says regarding the fans....but in the long run, he just adds more controversy....if that is his choice, then so be it.....he and Bo are obviously on the same page here..

Yeah 94, but your agenda is that BP and his staff should be fired, so of coarse you don't like what he said.

Whatever happens, happens as far as I am concerned I am tired of all the bitching. I myself don't ever listen to press conferences and I don't read something into that is said by every coach or player.

It is not adding fuel to the fire for me because I don't hang on every word uttered by BP his staff or the players on the Nebraska football team.

my opinion is this team needs better coaches....to improve......how we get there, who goes or stays is part of the process of getting us back to a top tier program....BP has stated he loves his staff....in that statement, if he stays, I expect no change....back to the future.

• Fire 1

Spend some time with the players and their families and many will tell you they are counting down the days they are finished here because of the way fans come at them. If you need proof listen in the stands at the things being said at any game and read the twitter feeds of the players during the games. Our fan base has a large portion of ignorant a$$hole$.

I don't agree with this comment da skers, sorry! I sit with a bunch of family members of players and that is not at all how they feel? Not sure where this sentiment is coming from? Yes, we have bad fans that spew their sh*t now and then but a majority of the fans usually turn to the mouth piece with a look of disappointment and they get the hint. As for the twitter feeds, that is the (faceless fan) who has nothing better to do. This board is a good representation of Husker fans where most everyone wants the best for the program and airs our concerns with some tact. I believe if someone here on this board was to act like one of those (faceless twitter) posters and spewed the kind of comments that you are referring too, knapp and other would show them to the door just as what is done at the stadium?

If what you are saying is true for the section you sit in, I am sorry but I don't think it is a representation of much of the fan base but probably a very small %.

Its from the locker room. I won't give the names right now because a couple of them are JRs. But follow Bell, Mitchell, Carter, etc on twitter and you will see them questioning adults taking shots. Many of the Texas players past and present feel that way. There was even a time when Rex thought it was getting pretty bad here. Yes some of it has to to when things aren't going well health or playing time wise but then the fans pile on. And its not the objective critics that bother the players. Guys saying Cotton needs to become a better pass blocker, VV has to get in better shape etc. that gets to them. Its the personal attacks. It really started to pick up in the Billy C day and has continued. Niles Paul would probably have told you at one point that he wished the fans would all die. Its a point of frustration and sad they get to that point. Yes there are certain players it doesn't bother or that are in the shadows and they don't get a lot of the hate. There are also some kids that care more about the program and the team than the fans do so they do a damn good sales job about how great it is here.

I have seen or heard of those piss poor fans who have tweeted repulsive remarks but the kids are in the public eye and know that a few ignorant A$$holes don't represent the majority of us. These kids are tougher than that and have to be able to take those few remarks and be able to dismiss them as the exception rather than the rule. If they can't, then they shouldn't read twitter or boards. The real World is not kind and there are A$$holes everywhere and they will be dealing with those things throughout. It doesn't make it right but in the same token, you can't put them in a bubble. Not sure what else to say but I think a majority of them have a thicker skin than what some think and if they don't they need to develop it for their own sake!

The parents of the student athletes I sit around feel quite the opposite and although their hair may get bristled with an occasional fan comment, they know this is not isolated to Nebraska. As for the types of comments you refer too, (getting better at blocking or better shape) listen to the radio and those types of comments are always on there because people are trying to figure out if our conditioning program has faltered over the years and if the teachings they are getting from coaches is preparing them to be the best they can be. This is also why you are hearing on the radio that people are wondering if live full speed practices a couple of days during the prep week would better prepare the kids for game time rather than the (No Contact or light contact prep)? Some feel that this is why we have so many turnovers?

Again; it doesn't make it right but this is not isolated to Nebraska!

• Fire 1

my opinion is this team needs better coaches....to improve......how we get there, who goes or stays is part of the process of getting us back to a top tier program....BP has stated he loves his staff....in that statement, if he stays, I expect no change....back to the future.

Fine by me, If there really is someone out there that is going to get NU to where everyone wants them to be, what ever that may be, than lets get to it.

I watch a lot of college football, and IMO Nebraska isn't that far away from the top teams right now. I only see 2-3 elite teams this year, and those elite teams change every year.

Devany was probably the last coach to really have the backing of our whole fan base. Osborne didn't have full support until the end of his career. Frank didn't have it, Bill didn't have it, and Bo doesn't have it. No coach will have it again unless they pull an Urban Meyer and go undefeated in year 1 or Saban and win a championship in year 3. And even then, it will only last as long as they can maintain it for the eternity of their coaching career here.

• Fire 1

it seems that Bo has nutured an "us against the fans" mentality with the team. add in tape gate and i can understand how the relationship got to this point.

He absolutely has. From the coaches to the towel boys. Rather than bothering to try and build good will with the fans, he's taken shots at them. It's not smart from a PR move, and definitely doesn't give yourself any leeway when a season doesn't turn out the way everyone had hoped.

I am 100% convinced that his hot seat would be a lot cooler if he would think before he spoke.

this is whats hilarious about this staff. Has every other coach spoutted off about their fans? yes. Does every other coach have to deal with a$$hole fans? yes. but what you don't see from everyone other coach is an f bomb laden audio tape, quotes like, "contrary to what you believe, i haven't forgot how to stop the run" or jabs like this from Beck. This is how or moronic this staff truly is when it comes running a big boy football program. I'm sorry, but call it what it is. The staff needed to grow up about two years ago and stop whining. Seriously, all Beck had to say was that Taylor has given everything to this program and i'm sure the fans can appreciate that. period.

• Fire 5

this is whats hilarious about this staff. Has every other coach spoutted off about their fans? yes. Does every other coach have to deal with a$$hole fans? yes. but what you don't see from everyone other coach is an f bomb laden audio tape, quotes like, "contrary to what you believe, i haven't forgot how to stop the run" or jabs like this from Beck. This is how or moronic this staff truly is when it comes running a big boy football program. I'm sorry, but call it what it is. The staff needed to grow up about two years ago and stop whining. Seriously, all Beck had to say was that Taylor has given everything to this program and i'm sure the fans can appreciate that. period.

+1

"Do you know what a loop scheme is? I didn't think so."--Will Muschamp to media

Maybe no other coach has had an audio tape like that. Maybe no other coach is dealing with anonymous punks with an axe to grind.

Maybe he takes some jabs. Tell me the Nebraska media doesn't do the same thing to him. Osborne did the same thing. He just had the "aw shucks" demeanor about him that would diffuse the situation.

run a clean program, recruit well, play good fundamental football, get us in a position to compete for Conference championship maybe 7 out of 10 years and maybe once every 10-15 years, come up with a special team that may play for a ring, and you can call me what you want, say what you want, etc. I don't care...but the farther away you get away from this kinda stuff, the more you are going to get some heat...

• Fire 1