Becks comments

Yes and no.

You are correct that I haven't looked into any other message boards. But I'd be curious about the relationship between winning and how many/bad the comments are. I doubt there are nearly as many at Alabama. There would likely be a lot more right now at Florida, Michigan, Texas, etc. because of how their seasons are going (although Texas seems to be better of late). But we are also not 4-7 coming off 7-6 two years ago like Florida. We aren't 3-4 in conference like Michigan and are farther removed from Callahan than they are from RichRod. We aren't three years removed from 5-7 like Texas who has been worse than us record wise since then.

While obviously not as top-end successful as we would all like, we've been winning like only a few other programs have over the last six years. Yet, people have been wanting the coaches to go for at least three years. And people are happy when the guy who re-wrote the record books gets injured and can't play any more. I can see where that would lead to a worse reaction from the team than we'd like to see.

I don't see much being aimed at NU players. The coaches seem to get most of the complaints from the NU fan base IMO.

Taylor Martinez :dunno

And wasn't someone calling out Bell for not playing great a couple games ago - Minny maybe?

This is very disturbing-yet again-for someone like me who, up until some additional meltdowns this year, has unconditionally supported Bo. I've been on the fence with him for the second half of this year, based solely on on-field issues. I've always stuck up for his off-field antics (if that's what you would call it-maybe not the right word) and tried to see them with some perspective. But these continuing comments from the staff is really getting me. I understand they feel like the seat is hot and I understand that, but you have to continue to embrace this place to the fullest extent. They dont appear to understand that team/fan relationship here at Nebraska is probably more important than anywhere. I heard from a little birdie that when Bo addressed the team about the rumors last week that one of the things he said was that they need to learn how to ignore the comments from lots fans, for it always seems that the negative 5% is always the loudest, and that it's not like that just here. That's what I heard. But then his assistants turn around the make comments (Kaz made some sort of comment after the Penn St game as well) that seem to antagonize the fanbase as a whole. This just disturbs. I dont know nothing anymore, that maybe it is time for a change. Maybe it is time to get someone who's ready to embrace everything Nebraska and has the mental capacity to kick aside everything that is negative. Yes, the football Tim Miles. Perception and attitude is everything these days. As much as it drives me nuts that we really cant act ourselves at all times, it is the way it is.

I agree other than I'm not sure 5% is right. Just judging from the people on this board it seems to be fairly close to 50/50.

It's a difference in the perception of "negative" between me and you. When I say negative, I mean total douschbag, ignorant, sh#t spewing peices of sh#t. We have numerous posters that I guess are seen as negative, I dont put them in that 5% category. They just relay what are legit concerns and disappointments that I also tend to argue with. But theyre not in the 5% that you see on twitter berating Kenny Bell after that Minnesota game. That's the 5%. And for some reason, the coaches continually make public comments that feel like theyre putting all of us in that category.

I'd agree with that. I'm sure it's a pretty small percentage that are really being jerks about it. But it probably blends together a lot more when so many are complaining about how bad we are and wanting the coaches fired.

So are you trying to say that Bo's actions are acceptable because the media takes jabs at Bo and that its just a bigger deal because Bo doesn't use the "aw shucks" approach?

I am not sure that I can say they are acceptable to everyone. To me, I have zero problems with what he has said. I think some of his comments are misguided but not fireable.

I understand, i have zero problem with what was actually said either, THE PROBLEM is this constant theme that Bo and Co aren't man enough to brush this stuff aside and set an example for the young men they are expected to lead. there will always be douche baggery but the coaches continue to lend more power to the rumors / asshats by how they CHOOSE to deal with them. its like they insist on fighting an un-winnable battle. someone should tell the coaches they just won the internet and this would all be over.

Beck's comment......not so bright...it just throws fuel on the fire...no comment would have been better.

You see I don't have a problem with him being honest in his comment. I don't know how many times I have read on message boards that "All they here is coach speak and blah, blah, blah." When a coach actually says something that is pretty true, some fans don't like it.

You can't have everything both ways.

The relationship that fans have had with Taylor Martinez had been very love/hate. He was just being honest and you don't like it.

The only other QB I think thats had it worse the TM would be Lord. And I'm not even sure he had it as bad a times.

All y'all critics, y'all ain't nothin!

**Loses to Texas on an INT in the endzone**

I gotta say, why in the hell would a player or coach have a twitter account unless THEY THEMSELVES were only going to say positive things EVER. Even if someone posts somethng negative????

I think it's stupid.

I've been a big Bo supporter and like beck too. But that comment "who has a good relationship..."

was just plain stupid and insulting. I have a good relationship w the fan base. I betcha guys like Davison and Crouch do too.

I bet Lavonte David does. And Ahman Green.

I bet Will Shields does. I bet Ron Brown does, and Milt Tenipor. I bet the ticket takers do, and the bar owners do. I bet the parking lot owners do. I bet Rex Burkhead and Abdullah do. I bet the secretary does.

Get over youself Beck. We don't really really care who is calling plays. Just call good ones and prevent turnovers and safeties on the goal line.

Don't pass the ball 7 times in a row 4 minutes before half leading to 3 INTs. Do those things and act like YOU want to be here, and I'm sure the fans treatment of you won't matter one bit.

Or, go coach at Cal or KU and enjoy that atmosphere.

Damn, I'm kinda pisssed. Just go win the damn game or put up a great effort and quit worrying about the fans.

• Fire 5

This is very disturbing-yet again-for someone like me who, up until some additional meltdowns this year, has unconditionally supported Bo. I've been on the fence with him for the second half of this year, based solely on on-field issues. I've always stuck up for his off-field antics (if that's what you would call it-maybe not the right word) and tried to see them with some perspective. But these continuing comments from the staff is really getting me. I understand they feel like the seat is hot and I understand that, but you have to continue to embrace this place to the fullest extent. They dont appear to understand that team/fan relationship here at Nebraska is probably more important than anywhere. I heard from a little birdie that when Bo addressed the team about the rumors last week that one of the things he said was that they need to learn how to ignore the comments from lots fans, for it always seems that the negative 5% is always the loudest, and that it's not like that just here. That's what I heard. But then his assistants turn around the make comments (Kaz made some sort of comment after the Penn St game as well) that seem to antagonize the fanbase as a whole. This just disturbs. I dont know nothing anymore, that maybe it is time for a change. Maybe it is time to get someone who's ready to embrace everything Nebraska and has the mental capacity to kick aside everything that is negative. Yes, the football Tim Miles. Perception and attitude is everything these days. As much as it drives me nuts that we really cant act ourselves at all times, it is the way it is.

I agree other than I'm not sure 5% is right. Just judging from the people on this board it seems to be fairly close to 50/50.

People who make thoughtful arguments for why he isn't right for the job are different from the 5% he's talking about. The loud, vulgar fans who threaten violence or just go to a knee jerk "F U!" when one thing doesn't go right. If the coaches are having a hard time handling the critics who can at least explain themselves in (mostly) polite language and have a level-headed discussion about the performance of the staff, they definitely chose the wrong career path. The 5% (or probably fewer, really) who are just abusive are the ones who are saying nasty crap on twitter or yelling it in the stadium. And, again, I think that 5% is an overestimate. If these 5% were normally distributed, we could count on, what? 4,500 of them in the stadium every week? How many tens of thousands on Twitter?

it seems that Bo has nutured an "us against the fans" mentality with the team. add in tape gate and i can understand how the relationship got to this point.

Absolutely he has. No doubt about it. Husker fans, maybe not all but a large portion, are more fickle than most fans. Relationships are a two way street and the problems here aren't all on the coaches. The days of the Big 8 playing maybe two decent teams a year are over.

I consider the BIG 8 teams we faced back then better then the ones that Nebraska facing in the BIG TEN now.

• Fire 3

Spend some time with the players and their families and many will tell you they are counting down the days they are finished here because of the way fans come at them. If you need proof listen in the stands at the things being said at any game and read the twitter feeds of the players during the games. Our fan base has a large portion of ignorant a$$hole$.

I don't agree with this comment da skers, sorry! I sit with a bunch of family members of players and that is not at all how they feel? Not sure where this sentiment is coming from? Yes, we have bad fans that spew their sh*t now and then but a majority of the fans usually turn to the mouth piece with a look of disappointment and they get the hint. As for the twitter feeds, that is the (faceless fan) who has nothing better to do. This board is a good representation of Husker fans where most everyone wants the best for the program and airs our concerns with some tact. I believe if someone here on this board was to act like one of those (faceless twitter) posters and spewed the kind of comments that you are referring too, knapp and other would show them to the door just as what is done at the stadium?

If what you are saying is true for the section you sit in, I am sorry but I don't think it is a representation of much of the fan base but probably a very small %.

Its from the locker room. I won't give the names right now because a couple of them are JRs. But follow Bell, Mitchell, Carter, etc on twitter and you will see them questioning adults taking shots. Many of the Texas players past and present feel that way. There was even a time when Rex thought it was getting pretty bad here. Yes some of it has to to when things aren't going well health or playing time wise but then the fans pile on. And its not the objective critics that bother the players. Guys saying Cotton needs to become a better pass blocker, VV has to get in better shape etc. that gets to them. Its the personal attacks. It really started to pick up in the Billy C day and has continued. Niles Paul would probably have told you at one point that he wished the fans would all die. Its a point of frustration and sad they get to that point. Yes there are certain players it doesn't bother or that are in the shadows and they don't get a lot of the hate. There are also some kids that care more about the program and the team than the fans do so they do a damn good sales job about how great it is here.

yes and no other teams/staffs have to deal with this sh#t either, right?

Does that all of a sudden make it okay? "Oh, every staff has to deal with this so it's no big deal..." Garbage.

The world Herald used to have in the paper Fans of the Grandstand and people would write in and spout the same things they do today. Fans complained about TO and Charlie McBride all the time. I don't remember them putting the fans down during Interviews. I wonder how TO would have reacted if one of his coaches came out and said "Who has a good relationship with fans in this program?

If Beck thinks like that here, I can't imagine he will ever make it as a HC anywhere being that thin skinned. He should check out sites like Shaggybevo

I consider the BIG 8 teams we faced back then better then the ones that Nebraska facing in the BIG TEN now.

Um .... no.

The top 25 tells a different story. Other then Michigan State (Which the Huskers gave the game away IMO and is vastly overated) Who else have they played in the Big Ten that in the top 25?

Social media is just awful. Near as I can tell it consists of identifying "haters" and then calling out the haters for hating.

I hate that.

It's not just sports, it's all over the internet.

Twitter is chock full of thin-skinned narcissists. If I were a coach I'd ban it in a second. Except today's recruits honestly can't live without it.

But in this case the coaches aren't helping. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is a long-standing motivational tradition, but it's usually against rival teams and media doubters. I think Bo went into his bunker three years ago and threw all the fair-weather fans into the pot. Us against Them at Nebraska was everyone inside the locker room vs. everyone outside the locker room. But the game is played on the field, and in fairness to the fans, the product on the field was occasionally disappointing and sometimes just plain baffling. Bo's $3 mill salary and those world class players' facilities came from somewhere. Football is an entertainment product. You get to grumble when you walk out of a bad movie, too. Doesn't mean you're a hater.

But of course there are idiot fans who say idiot things. If there are players who can't wait to get out of here, where do they hope to go?

God forbid they get drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Um .... no.

The top 25 tells a different story. Other then Michigan State (Which the Huskers gave the game away IMO and is vastly overated) Who else have they played in the Big Ten that in the top 25?

I guess if your "now" is only the teams we're playing this year, then you're right about the rankings, considering we don't have the two best teams in our conference on our schedule this year.

Your reference to "back then" is pretty vague but the last ten years of the Big 8 we averaged playing two teams who were ranked when we played them. In the early 80s, we only averaged playing one ranked team. And that was playing everyone in the conference. We've averaged playing two ranked teams per year in our three years in the B1G so actually the rankings would say that it's basically even but it's pretty obvious the mid- to low-level teams now are much better than the comparable teams we played 25 years ago.

• Fire 1

Social media is just awful. Near as I can tell it consists of identifying "haters" and then calling out the haters for hating.

I hate that.

It's not just sports, it's all over the internet.

Twitter is chock full of thin-skinned narcissists. If I were a coach I'd ban it in a second. Except today's recruits honestly can't live without it.

But in this case the coaches aren't helping. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is a long-standing motivational tradition, but it's usually against rival teams and media doubters. I think Bo went into his bunker three years ago and threw all the fair-weather fans into the pot. Us against Them at Nebraska was everyone inside the locker room vs. everyone outside the locker room. But the game is played on the field, and in fairness to the fans, the product on the field was occasionally disappointing and sometimes just plain baffling. Bo's $3 mill salary and those world class players' facilities came from somewhere. Football is an entertainment product. You get to grumble when you walk out of a bad movie, too. Doesn't mean you're a hater.

But of course there are idiot fans who say idiot things. If there are players who can't wait to get out of here, where do they hope to go?

God forbid they get drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Yeah, Philly fans will be a rude awakening for some of these players if that is the city they are drafted to.

As for empty seats.....maybe if the players start showing up for entire games, those fans will too.

As for twitter......perhaps those players' time would be better spent in the weight room than dicking around on social media. Then they might not get pushed around so badly or get injured as much.

Enough of all of the "Hey, look at me" attention-getting individualism. You're a team. Why do you think the first thing that the military does is shave everyone's head and make them look the same? It is counterproductive.

Finally.......if you're a player and your team just lost the game, don't come out of the locker room after the game all cheery or completely indifferent like you don't give a rat about what just happened. Get angry and take that anger out in next week's practice. If you don't, then go play for Kansas, because you don't deserve to wear the N.

• Fire 3