Could Crouch have won this year's Heisman?

81 NU Alum

Just a quick thought. I was looking at Jordan Lynch's stats from NIU. He has over 2400 yards passing (64% completion rate I think), over 1700 yards rushing, and this year he became only the 3rd FBS player ever to have at least 20 rushing and 20 passing TD's in a single season. Finally, his team is undefeated.

Crouch had a fantastic season, but I don't think voters can bring themselves to vote for a running qb in todays football universe

Crouch had awesome stats and played on a one-loss the #4 ranked team at the time of the ballot. The voters didn't hold the CU debacle against Crouch be he had a great game. (It was our defense that got gashed.) I don't think a running QB could win the Heisman on an unranked team. So, no.

Note: Even Baylor was ranked #13 when RG3 won. (Wasn't sure about their ranking so I had to look it up. Because Baylor sucked for a half century or so before Griffin. lol)

edit: If the OP mean Crouch playing on this year's unranked Husker team, then no. But if the OP meant Crouch playing today on a highly ranked team--say top five--he might have a chance with his gaudy stats.

I see what you're getting at, OP, but I would argue never say never. The right circumstances, the right big moments and the victories can do great things for a Heisman campaign. It's very difficult to compare cross-generationally, too. I mean this year there are tons of great players out there so yeah, Crouch may not have won the Heisman. But you could play that game with just about any Heisman winner if you hypothetically plugged their season into a different one and compared it to the Heisman front-runners that year.

Also, if Nebraska was undefeated right now, I feel confident saying Ameer Abdullah would be in the Heisman conversation. His overall rushing TD total is pretty low (some of that thanks to Cross vulturing TD's near the end zone), but his yardage stats are on pace to be better than Mark Ingram IIRC. I think it's a bit tougher to win as a running back today unless you just wow people all the time, but Abdullah would be right in the mix IMHO.

Crouch couldn't have won the Heisman any year other than the year he did.

Sad but true.

But wrong. How about the year that Ingram won it? You knock Crouch all the time and I don't understand why. The guy was one of the all-time greats. Too damn bad he had so many issues with his throwing shoulder.

• Fire 2

Sad but true.

But wrong. How about the year that Ingram won it? You knock Crouch all the time and I don't understand why. The guy was one of the all-time greats. Too damn bad he had so many issues with his throwing shoulder.

I don't knock him all the time - literally have no idea where you're getting that from. He's one of my favorite players ever. I watch those 20-some minute long highlight reels of his on youtube at least a few times per year.

That doesn't change the fact that the 2001 Heisman race was one of the most pitiful ever and he only received 27% of the points possible, which is the lowest total since 1978 - second lowest was Andre Ware with 38% in 1989.

Sad but true.

I don't knock him all the time - literally have no idea where you're getting that from. He's one of my favorite players ever. I watch those 20-some minute long highlight reels of his on youtube at least a few times per year.

That doesn't change the fact that the 2001 Heisman race was one of the most pitiful ever and he only received 27% of the points possible, which is the lowest total since 1978 - second lowest was Andre Ware with 38% in 1989.

Normally you do it when you're defending TMart and you dog on Crouch for his fumbles.

• Fire 2

Normally you do it when you're defending TMart and you dog on Crouch for his fumbles.

I think I've said that once or twice, yeah, but you said it - in defense of Martinez. Never meant to be a knock against Crouch; only to show people that the quarterback they love to hate is right in the same company as one of the favorites and best ever :thumbs