Why Iowa Should Not be a Rivalry

Geographically Iowa could fit the bill as a rival, and due to their close proximity there seems to be a fair amount of animosity between the fanbases. But location and hatred alone do not a rivalry make. I believe for a true rivalry there needs to be at least some mutual respect and some give and take (win some lose some, including some upsets or heartbreakers). Iowa, in recent history, has not taken anything from us and we have little reason to respect them on the field of play. So, in many ways, they are just another one-sided rival in the mold of Colorado. Sure we hated them and loved beating them, the worse the better, but for all but a few year stretch they just weren't good enough to earn the rival status from us. Sorry Iowa, you are CU light.

yoda.gif

For many of our younger fans (me included) who weren't around for the Oklahoma games, Colorado/Missouri were the only rivals we knew. So you guys that got to experience the OU games saying that Colorado was forced upon you after Oklahoma bailed and it was never a true rivalry game, it may feel like that to you, but not everyone.

I can accept that and even understand it. I was lucky enough to be around during the height of the NU-OU games of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I just have always viewed them as our traditional rival. And having lived in Colorado for the past 28 years, I developed a deep hatred and lack of respect for the Buffs. It was a rivalry type thing for sure but I will never give them the satisfaction of acknowledging it.

The problem with playing Iowa is that they have lower expectations for their football program in general. Fans of serious football programs would recognize the unique exposure of playing on Black Friday, the appeal to potential recruits, the potential for developing more of a name brand in places that don't regularly see either team. Yet, all Iowa fan does is complain about a lack of parking when the game is in Iowa City and moan about inconvenient travel plans when the game is in Lincoln.

Wisconsin is good right now, but like Iowa, they're cyclical and will fall back soon enough (to say nothing of the fact that, despite the last few seasons, Iowa has largely dominated them head-to-head for the past 30 years). They also have some of the worst fans I've ever encountered--think long and hard if you really want to spend your Thanksgiving weekend at Camp Randall every other year, where Badger fans make the average Colorado fan seem like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm). Penn State would be a great rivalry , but only if you don't mind watching the game on TV every other year.

Iowa is probably our best bet for a decent rivalry in the BIG. But it would help if they would stop whining about fan inconvenience, start thinking of what the game could mean to their program, and...oh, I dunno, maybe think about prioritizing winning over recruits rather than getting to sleep in after a full day of turkey?

• Fire 1

Geographically Iowa could fit the bill as a rival, and due to their close proximity there seems to be a fair amount of animosity between the fanbases. But location and hatred alone do not a rivalry make. I believe for a true rivalry there needs to be at least some mutual respect and some give and take (win some lose some, including some upsets or heartbreakers). Iowa, in recent history, has not taken anything from us and we have little reason to respect them on the field of play. So, in many ways, they are just another one-sided rival in the mold of Colorado. Sure we hated them and loved beating them, the worse the better, but for all but a few year stretch they just weren't good enough to earn the rival status from us. Sorry Iowa, you are CU light.

yoda.gif

For many of our younger fans (me included) who weren't around for the Oklahoma games, Colorado/Missouri were the only rivals we knew. So you guys that got to experience the OU games saying that Colorado was forced upon you after Oklahoma bailed and it was never a true rivalry game, it may feel like that to you, but not everyone.

It is nice to be young. I hope you get to experience the thrill of a rivalry, that is played on the last day of the regular season, that more often than not results in a chance at the MNT.

yoda.gif

Just an FYI, not trying to be a smartass or anything, but Oklahoma didn't bail on the rivalry. Texass didn't allow it to continue when the Big 12 started so they could fabricate that thier rivalry was bigger with OU. Before the Big 12 started it was just a nice OOC game that OU usually dominated, but it never meant anything until Texass was allowed to join and take over the conference due to thier $$$$$.

This is totally wrong. OU chose to keep their rivalry with Texas for recruiting purposes. They chose to dump the rivalry with DONU.

Great team do not have rivalries with mediocre teams.

Step 1: Be a great team.

If the teams in the new B1G West are as mediocre as you have indicated, it should be a simple matter of winning the conference championship game, then two playoff games, to obtain the National championship each year. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

As long as we're an average to good but not great football team, we have no right to say that any rivalry or hypothetical rivalry is beneath us.

Iowa is a better football team than us this year. That simple.

Sorry, can't do it, I still spit on the concept of Iowa football, it disgusts me.

Says infinitely more about you than it does about them.

• Fire 1

As long as we're an average to good but not great football team, we have no right to say that any rivalry or hypothetical rivalry is beneath us.

Sorry, can't do it, I still spit on the concept of Iowa football, it disgusts me.

This ^^^

It is time for NU to return to dominance!!!

This ^^^

It is time for NU to return to dominance!!!

good luck with that.

• Fire 1

If you look at wins and loses, Iowa is a better team than we are today.