What's wrong with Craig Bohl?

Sparker

Just curious, I know very little about the guy.

I have seen the division among fans about wanting a proven winner to be our next coach vs someone like Frost. Names like Peterson, Tressel, but very few people seem to mention Bohl. Is it just not a big name? Did he do something wrong?

15 minutes ago I was pretty much oblivious to who he is or what he has accomplished, and in another thread it was pointed out he is 2x FCS National Champion. I pulled up his wikipedia page, and I must say it looks pretty much like a good fit, again want to clarify I am not rooting for this guy, I mostly am curious why I have seen so many people say no to him.

Was he bad as DC at NU?

He cheated on his wife? What other issues does he bring to the table? The positives look pretty strong in my 10 minutes of exhaustive infallible research.

2 seasons 14-1, Champions

4 Conference championships

11-0 so far this year

Nebraska guy (Not a huge factor, but if he is successful he will be loyal)

Seemingly stable demeanor (In the press conference I watched after his last game)

So for you Bohl haters, enlighten us on why he is a bad pick. He has a good resume at a glance. People in favor of him feel free to put in your .02 as well.

He has already been fired here once. He has never coached in a FBS setting. He's been at NDSU for 11 years...why hasn't he been offered a Div 1 contract at all? If hes such a good coach, don't you think a smaller D1 school would go for him? And now we want Nebraska to be his first D1 gig? Give me a break

Technically, both of the bold were true of Bo when we hired him (again).

• Fire 1

Bohl would be a pretty intriguing hire, if you ask me. Has demonstrated success as a head coach, understands how to recruit in the midwest. His teams play smart, and they play disciplined. They have become a superpower in their league, and have been routinely taking down FBS programs (like the defending Big 12 champions).

It would be fair to say that Bo is a more successful defensive coordinator than Bohl. It would be equally fair to say that Bohl is a more successful head coach.

Since everyone always asks this about Bo, Ill ask about Bohl. Do you think Craig Bohl would outcoach Nick Saban? How bout Urban Meyer? Les Miles? Brady Hoke? David Shaw? Art Briles? If the answer is no, why would we hire him? Isn't the point to make it to the playoffs and win? These names would be his competition every year if he even makes it to the playoffs.

Since everyone always asks this about Bo, Ill ask about Bohl. Do you think Craig Bohl would outcoach Nick Saban? How bout Urban Meyer? Les Miles? Brady Hoke? David Shaw? Art Briles? If the answer is no, why would we hire him? Isn't the point to make it to the playoffs and win? These names would be his competition every year.

The playoffs? You mean the four-team playoff starting next year? How about we finish in the top 25 before we start worrying about making the playoffs.

Who knows if Craig Bohl would out-coach those guys. Could he? I mean, he took an FCS team to Manhattan and out coached an outstanding head football coach by the name of Bill Snyder, and defeated the defending Big 12 champions. Give him the talent and facilities and support of Nebraska compared to North Dakota State, and who knows who he might be able to out coach...

By the way, that win over K-State was just the most recent of 5 consecutive wins NDSU has had against FBS competition. They're currently 11-0, #1 seed in the playoffs, and looking to three-peat. In other words, Craig Bohl is the Nick Saban of the FCS.

Since everyone always asks this about Bo, Ill ask about Bohl. Do you think Craig Bohl would outcoach Nick Saban? How bout Urban Meyer? Les Miles? Brady Hoke? David Shaw? Art Briles? If the answer is no, why would we hire him? Isn't the point to make it to the playoffs and win? These names would be his competition every year.

The playoffs? You mean the four-team playoff starting next year? How about we finish in the top 25 before we start worrying about making the playoffs.

Who knows if Craig Bohl would out-coach those guys. Could he? I mean, he took an FCS team to Manhattan and out coached an outstanding head football coach by the name of Bill Snyder, and defeated the defending Big 12 champions. Give him the talent and facilities and support of Nebraska compared to North Dakota State, and who knows who he might be able to out coach...

By the way, that win over K-State was just the most recent of 5 consecutive wins NDSU has had against FBS competition. They're currently 11-0, #1 seed in the playoffs, and looking to three-peat. In other words, Craig Bohl is the Nick Saban of the FCS.

Yeah, isn't that the goal? To make it to the playoffs. Or have I not been reading things correctly the past couple months when people say they want Pelini fired

Yeah, isn't that the goal? To make it to the playoffs. Or have I not been reading things correctly the past couple months when people say they want Pelini fired

Sure. And Craig Bohl would be somewhat of an unknown, since he hasn't coached FBS or won a title there.

But we're not going to hire anyone who's an absolute lock to make it to the playoffs. Those guys all have jobs already. Anybody we can hire is going to be somewhat of an unknown. Bohl's the only realistic candidate out there who can say he's been a college football head coach who has not only made the playoffs, but who has won multiple national championships.

Bohl would be a pretty intriguing hire, if you ask me. Has demonstrated success as a head coach, understands how to recruit in the midwest. His teams play smart, and they play disciplined. They have become a superpower in their league, and have been routinely taking down FBS programs (like the defending Big 12 champions).

It would be fair to say that Bo is a more successful defensive coordinator than Bohl. It would be equally fair to say that Bohl is a more successful head coach.

Not sure about that last sentence. After the last few years I'm not so sure that he is that strong of a D coordinator. Bohl has done a great job in a number of fronts at NDSU. Obviously he has put a tremendous product on the field. What has impressed me is how he and AD have really gotten the entire state behind them. They have a "Nebraska Like" fanbase at the FBS level. Where did that come from? Yep, from his time at Lincoln. He gets it. He understands and embraces the traditions. I would not be opposed to this hire. He has some skeletons in his closet from his time in Lincoln but that was quite a while ago. Bo makes him look like a choir boy.