What's wrong with Craig Bohl?

Sparker

Living here in Fargo, there is a fair amount of hand wrangling going on up here about the same issue. I don't think he should be hired, I don't think Bo should be fired...but here are the reasons NDSU people believe Bohl won't go to Nebraska.

1) Bad blood. He is still upset at how he was treated in Lincoln and won't return. I have seen this personally when he was asked if his time at Nebraska influenced the type to success he has had at NDSU and he said "I choose not to talk about my time at Nebraska, let's talk about these kids."

2) Family. Rumor has it that Bohl's wife has said that she will never leave Fargo. This is a rumor...take it for what you will.

3) He's a God here. Bohl is viewed in the North Dakota community the way Nebraskans view Osborne. He might now get paid a ton, but his son is getting free school over in Moorhead and he is revered in ways I have seen few coaches be revered.

4) The system. Having watched NDSU play multiple times, I am not 100% sold his system would work in FBS. It IS solid, but it took him 8 years before his first championship. Would he get that time in Lincoln? I don't think his system would reach maturity before he was run out of town.

He'd be the most likely guy we could get NOW if the Administration felt Bo had forced their hand with his antics yesterday. He's got a winning pedigree, and he brings more head coaching experience at the college level to the table than our last nine coaching hires.

Think about that. The last guy we hired with similar or same collegiate-level head coaching experience was in 1945.

He has already been fired here once. He has never coached in a FBS setting. He's been at NDSU for 11 years...why hasn't he been offered a Div 1 contract at all? If hes such a good coach, don't you think a smaller D1 school would go for him? And now we want Nebraska to be his first D1 gig? Give me a break

tressel was at youngstown st 14 years before becoming tOSU's HC. (not comparing the two. just pointing out that it is possible for coaches to make the jump from FCS to FBS and have success after spending years at lower levels.)

Since everyone always asks this about Bo, Ill ask about Bohl. Do you think Craig Bohl would outcoach Nick Saban? How bout Urban Meyer? Les Miles? Brady Hoke? David Shaw? Art Briles? If the answer is no, why would we hire him? Isn't the point to make it to the playoffs and win? These names would be his competition every year if he even makes it to the playoffs.

He outcoached the crypt keeper at Ksucks.

I thought I made it clear I wasn't rooting for this guy. Your coming at me with a lot of attitude.

You answered the questions I had I guess but really chill out dude. I specifically asked if his defense sucked at NU, I didn't know he got fired. "we" dont want him.

Give me a break.

Po Belini is always coming at people with that attitude. Dude just has some issues with people asking questions.

• Fire 1

I thought I made it clear I wasn't rooting for this guy. Your coming at me with a lot of attitude.

You answered the questions I had I guess but really chill out dude. I specifically asked if his defense sucked at NU, I didn't know he got fired. "we" dont want him.

Give me a break.

Po Belini is always coming at people with that attitude. Dude just has some issues with people asking questions.

What are you talking about?

Read post #4

• 11 months later...

Hire him

I agree with you. If Nebraska does make a change at the end of the season, Craig Bohl must be the first one we call.

He is a better Head Coach/CEO then he was a Defensive Coordinator. He was born in Lincoln. He played at Nebraska under Tom Osborne. He coached under Tom Osborne.

Look solely at his head coaching record:

(His record to date when this post was made)

His overall head coaching record is 108-38 (73.97 winning %) with 3 straight FCS National Championships at North Dakota State. Only the 2nd team ever in FCS history to pull off such an accomplishment.

Awards to his credit:

3x MVFC Coach of the Year (2011-2013)

2x Eddie Robinson Award (2012-2013)

2x AFCA Coach of the Year (2012-2013)

Coach Bohl knows not just the type of systems he wants to run on offense or defense, he knows the kind of culture he wants in his program. He understands how to build it, and more importantly how to sustain it.

The positive for Nebraska if they should hire Craig Bohl is that he totally gets the crazy fish-bowl culture of Husker football and it's passionate, and at times demanding fans. He knows in this state it is Nebraska football 24/7, 365 days a year.

Nebraska has always prided itself on playing good, clean, tough, fundamental football. To play with pride, a backbone, and doing it the right way. Craig Bohl would provide this as Nebraska's Head Coach if given the opportunity.

No. He's 4-6 at Wyoming. They were 5-7 last year so there's no improvement. His defenses here were terrible. Sometimes getting rid of coordinators just seems like a cop-out move to save a head coach's job, but in this case it was a solid move. Maybe he is a better HC than he was DC, but maybe FCS was the right level for him as a HC. I don't recall details or know for sure how true they were but I remember there was talk of off the field issues as well.

And yes, he was fired. I believe Bo Pelini took his job in 2003. He was "Cosgrove" and "Papuchis" before they were even here. Meaning he was a main target for people to criticize because his defenses weren't very good.

there's the answer to the why not... we have been going bacwards since TO retired. we already tried a former DC/one game interim HC and now we should try that again? We have done that 3 times out of the past four (tech 2 HCs in the year FS got fired). Cally wasnt all that bad except he is the same as Bo in one terrible regard; neither would fire his DC due to loyalty. insanity is defined by doing the same thing repeatedly and truly expecting a different result each time. not saying anyone is insane, but to be relevant in today's game, we need a big name HC, if that how we want to be seen on the national stage. Right now, we are middle of the pack and moving to the rear of it... I say Tressel, to answer the question.