What's wrong with Craig Bohl?

Sparker

And yes, he was fired. I believe Bo Pelini took his job in 2003. He was "Cosgrove" and "Papuchis" before they were even here. Meaning he was a main target for people to criticize because his defenses weren't very good.

He also had off the field moral issues that led to his firing. NU can do so much better.

Ohio State got the current Husker fan favorite from Youngstown State. Saban was head coach at Toledo. Whew....good thing someone wasn't listening to conventional logic.

I just threw those two names out, because one is currently the hottest FBS coach and the other is the guy that most around here have no problem hiring. There's plenty more FCS to FBS success stories like that, so frankly the anti-Bohl arguments that I'm reading don't fly. As everyone knows, you can be the greatest coordinator in the world, and it doesn't mean that you'll be a great head coach. The same holds true the other way around. Bohl is proving to be a great head coach, regardless of what people thought of him as a defensive coordinator. This guy ground up FBS teams with NDSU's resources, forgodsakes. Doesn't that resonate with anyone? What do you think he could do with Nebraska's resources? Before dismissing his first-year record at Wyoming, has anyone here bothered to see what he inherited? Go see how the Wyoming people feel about him. Go read all the articles talking about how FBS schools shouldn't be scheduling the Bison.

Let me call a spade a spade. I think the real reason why people don't want Bohl is 1. They know next to nothing of his accomplishments and 2. his system isn't sexy enough for them. That's really it in a nutshell. Let me ask a simple question: What makes you think that a geographically-challenged Nebraska can be competitive running the same offenses that other schools in less challenged areas run? Given that their coaches are better than ours (because we have to settle for the second-tier) and they can typically get better players, logic says that we're going to lose a lot more than we win against those schools.

Nebraska's success was built on being unique and finding a way to leverage a limited talent pool to its advantage so it could compete on a national level. Bohl understands this and can work with it. Did anyone ever ponder how well a big-name coach would do in a place where he couldn't do a backstroke through all of the 5 stars? I think that's exactly why many don't want to come here. They'd really have to earn their paycheck.

• Fire 1

Ohio State got the current Husker fan favorite from Youngstown State. Saban was head coach at Toledo. Whew....good thing someone wasn't listening to conventional logic.

I just threw those two names out, because one is currently the hottest FBS coach and the other is the guy that most around here have no problem hiring. There's plenty more FCS to FBS success stories like that, so frankly the anti-Bohl arguments that I'm reading don't fly. As everyone knows, you can be the greatest coordinator in the world, and it doesn't mean that you'll be a great head coach. The same holds true the other way around. Bohl is proving to be a great head coach, regardless of what people thought of him as a defensive coordinator. This guy ground up FBS teams with NDSU's resources, forgodsakes. Doesn't that resonate with anyone? What do you think he could do with Nebraska's resources? Before dismissing his first-year record at Wyoming, has anyone here bothered to see what he inherited? Go see how the Wyoming people feel about him. Go read all the articles talking about how FBS schools shouldn't be scheduling the Bison.

Let me call a spade a spade. I think the real reason why people don't want Bohl is 1. They know next to nothing of his accomplishments and 2. his system isn't sexy enough for them. That's really it in a nutshell. Let me ask a simple question: What makes you think that a geographically-challenged Nebraska can be competitive running the same offenses that other schools in less challenged areas run? Given that their coaches are better than ours (because we have to settle for the second-tier) and they can typically get better players, logic says that we're going to lose a lot more than we win against those schools.

Nebraska's success was built on being unique and finding a way to leverage a limited talent pool to its advantage so it could compete on a national level. Bohl understands this and can work with it. Did anyone ever ponder how well a big-name coach would do in a place where he couldn't do a backstroke through all of the 5 stars? I think that's exactly why many don't want to come here. They'd really have to earn their paycheck.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along

• Fire 1

He has already been fired here once. He has never coached in a FBS setting. He's been at NDSU for 11 years...why hasn't he been offered a Div 1 contract at all? If hes such a good coach, don't you think a smaller D1 school would go for him? And now we want Nebraska to be his first D1 gig? Give me a break

He got hired by Wyoming late last year. I think they went 4-5 this year which is not to say he won't succeed there.

He has already been fired here once. He has never coached in a FBS setting. He's been at NDSU for 11 years...why hasn't he been offered a Div 1 contract at all? If hes such a good coach, don't you think a smaller D1 school would go for him? And now we want Nebraska to be his first D1 gig? Give me a break

He got hired by Wyoming late last year. I think they went 4-5 this year which is not to say he won't succeed there.

I know. I made that post over a year ago haha

Why does everyone automatically believe that Craig Bohl has not improved as a coach in the last 12 years? Many of you might admire what Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer have accomplished in the past, well, their resumes (before they were hired at Ohio State and Florida respectfully) were very similar to Craig Bohl's today. Hypothetical situation: Bohl turns Wyoming into a winner, just as he did with North Dakota State, gets hired by some big named program and leads them to the NCG; how would that make you feel? Well, Tressel and Meyer both took the same route to get there. How many schools out there are kicking themselves today for not seeing these guys sooner and hiring them?

Not saying Bohl would do that but he could is all I am saying.

• Fire 1

One can not truely judge Craig Bohl off his record at Wyoming this year. Even Wyoming fans will tell you he was facing a major uphill battle to start with the shape the roster was in. They won 4 games this year and the fans still love him like crazy there... that says a lot right there. Will be very interesting to continue to follow Bohl and his rebuild of Wyoming.

Why does everyone automatically believe that Craig Bohl has not improved as a coach in the last 12 years? Many of you might admire what Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer have accomplished in the past, well, their resumes (before they were hired at Ohio State and Florida respectfully) were very similar to Craig Bohl's today. Hypothetical situation: Bohl turns Wyoming into a winner, just as he did with North Dakota State, gets hired by some big named program and leads them to the NCG; how would that make you feel? Well, Tressel and Meyer both took the same route to get there. How many schools out there are kicking themselves today for not seeing these guys sooner and hiring them?

Not saying Bohl would do that but he could is all I am saying.

Tressel and Meyer failed miserably as a D1A defensive coordinator? That's part of Bohl's route, whether you want to remember it or not.