What's wrong with Craig Bohl?

Sparker

Well after today's letdown against Minnesota I will be keeping a very close look at the Boise State vs. Wyoming game tonight on ESPN2.

Mostly none of the current Wyoming players are Craig Bohl recruits, so it will be interesting to see how the Bohl staff organize their philosophies to match the talent they have on hand.

I am still a huge fan of how Coach Bohl's offenses at North Dakota State were not only power running, but it also was based on clock control.

No. He's 4-6 at Wyoming. They were 5-7 last year so there's no improvement. His defenses here were terrible. Sometimes getting rid of coordinators just seems like a cop-out move to save a head coach's job, but in this case it was a solid move. Maybe he is a better HC than he was DC, but maybe FCS was the right level for him as a HC. I don't recall details or know for sure how true they were but I remember there was talk of off the field issues as well.

Do you read any of the Wyoming papers? I do. Even with his current record, everyone there thinks that he is righting the ship in Wyoming. Go Google him up. They're pretty darn pleased over there.

Well after today's letdown against Minnesota I will be keeping a very close look at the Boise State vs. Wyoming game tonight on ESPN2.

Mostly none of the current Wyoming players are Craig Bohl recruits, so it will be interesting to see how the Bohl staff organize their philosophies to match the talent they have on hand.

I am still a huge fan of how Coach Bohl's offenses at North Dakota State were not only power running, but it also was based on clock control.

Duke, I feel like you and are looked at as the "crazy uncles" when it comes to Bohl. I hear you though, and I'm with you. Did you see my link that I posted about him in another thread? I thought it was a damn good read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/26/6005585/craig-bohl-wyoming-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

Duke, I feel like you and are looked at as the "crazy uncles" when it comes to Bohl. I hear you though, and I'm with you. Did you see my link that I posted about him in another thread? I thought it was a damn good read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/26/6005585/craig-bohl-wyoming-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

Nothing wrong with being considered the "crazy uncles." Sometimes after awhile people change their tunes about crazy uncles, and say "he wasn't that bad." :)

That article that you linked was a fantastic read! Damn good indeed.

Here are some quotes from that article that jumped out at me that I want to highlight for the rest of the board to read and really consider:

"Personally, I've long believed that a successful team will be a reflection of the values of the people in the state....Certain styles and compositions of a football team, if they're in line with how the people in the state are, you have a chance for success. The people of North Dakota are hard-working, resilient, resourceful, very straightforward and conservative people much like people in Nebraska or Wyoming." -Craig Bohl

"It's a challenge to find the old pro-back fullback or H-back. Those guys run counter-culture to what's going on in football. But if you have a kid that grew up on a ranch, drives a pick-up, and has a belt buckle, he doesn't mind bashing his head into a DE 15 to 25 times a game." -Craig Bohl

"Bohl's strategy has mixed classic schemes, a hard-nosed approach, and lots of Middle American kids from communities that buy into a conservative and blue-collar way of playing football."

Only half watching that game, but I saw Boise St rip off a few long runs to score easily on their first possession. Also saw Wyoming throw the long ball, incomplete, on 2nd and 10. I know where we can get this same effect without paying Bo and his staff a buyout.

To be fair I wouldn't fully compare or even try to base Craig Bohl's head coaching merits for a potential Nebraska job just on this one Wyoming game.

For a better comparison of what type of team Craig Bohl could field at Nebraska I would highly recommend watching video of his three National Championship teams that he had at North Dakota State.

It is in those videos where you can clearly see a team that has been fully recruited to, and fully invested into their own identity and fundamental way of approaching the game of football from all three phases.

Only half watching that game, but I saw Boise St rip off a few long runs to score easily on their first possession. Also saw Wyoming throw the long ball, incomplete, on 2nd and 10. I know where we can get this same effect without paying Bo and his staff a buyout.

To be fair I wouldn't fully compare or even try to base Craig Bohl's head coaching merits for a potential Nebraska job just on this one Wyoming game.

For a better comparison of what type of team Craig Bohl could field at Nebraska I would highly recommend watching video of his three National Championship teams that he had at North Dakota State.

It is in those videos where you can clearly see a team that has been fully recruited to, and fully invested into their own identity and fundamental way of approaching the game of football from all three phases.

I wouldn't either, I was just having a bit of fun because in 5 minutes of watching I saw pretty much everything people were complaining about Husker football the last two weeks, save for Bo yelling at everyone. But I would want to see him show some sign of having success at this level. He's 4-7, no upgrade from Wyoming's 5-7 last year.

This Minnesotan and former resident of Fargo thinks that Craig Bohl would be very successful at Nebraska if the Nebraska fan base could muster the patience to wait a couple of years for success. That's a big if. From what I've seen, I'm doubtful that you Nebbishes have the patience.

Bohl is a good recruiter and a very good evaluator of talent. He's got a good network of contacts in the Twin Cities, North Dakota, outstate Minnesota, and Nebraska. He did a good job of recruiting nationally - no small thing when you're coaching at an agricultural school in a small city in North Dakota. Have you seen the young men who passed thru NDSU on their way to the NFL?

That's not to say I want you to hire him. As a Minnesotan who has had the misfortune to live in Fargo (and who saw his Gophers lose to Bohl's Bison) I don't want him to get that job. But I'd rather you hire Bohl than take Jerry Kill away from Minnesota.

Even though I've disagreed with him in the past, I do agree with the Omaha World Herald's Dirk Chatelain when he says one of the number one things to consider about the Nebraska job is in identifying, and developing local (500 mile radius) talent.

So what you need is a head coach with a PhD in player development. A guy who’s proven he can identify athletes from the Midwest, plug them into his system and maximize their talent.

He argues that Craig Bohl should get a long look from Sean Eichorst.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mad-chatter-reconsidering-a-reject-for-nebraska-s-next-coach/article_19790a88-7971-11e4-8ce8-571d8969fd42.html