Let the sellout streak end

I'll be honest, it's becoming more and more of a burden to go to Husker games. I can see a better game at home on my fancy-schmancy new flat screen TV, I don't have to pay for crappy, overpriced concession food, I don't have to sit in the sweltering sun or bitterly cold wind, I don't have to pay $52 (or whatever) per game, not counting donations to get my seats in the first place, and I don't have to fight parking and after-game traffic, which is abysmal around the stadium.

I don't have to listen to the band play the same ten songs every single game, I don't have to have that damned sound system blasting in my ear EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF FREE TIME so I can't talk about what's going on with the people around me, I don't have deal with crappy bench seats or people in the wrong section/row, and I don't have to deal with idiots walking in/out during plays so I miss half the damned thing. I also don't have to piss in a trough with 50 other guys standing elbow to elbow.

At home I have my DVR so I can go back and forth and look at the plays at my whim, I can let the game run for a while and do other stuff, then come back to it and skip the commercials, and I can have a beer during the game, which honestly isn't a deal-breaker for me in the stadium (I'm against alcohol sales at Memorial Stadium), but at chez knapplc, it's all right.

None of these problems have anything to do with the head coach or the product on the field. Some are never, ever going to change (like the parking/traffic issue) and some can't ever, ever be as good as my home (as in, no seat in that stadium is as comfy as my Barcalounger). Some may change for the better (like the sound system, although with single-point sourcing I'm still skeptical) and some could change but won't because there are enough idiots out there who are wiling to accept them (the crappy, overpriced concessions).

Can actually sit and coherently type something.

I get all of the things you touched on in saying why it can be nicer just to take in a game at home. I still feel like a good team takes a lot of that away. Case in point, yourself. The band has been pretty meh for awhile now. The sound system has been needing renovation as well.

The troughs, and the "idiots"? Yeah, common as the tides at Memorial Stadium.

And it never used to matter, you'd go because it's fun. And you were watching a good product. And you went to NU.

Anyhow, the department probably has sat on it's laurels a little too long, especially in the amenities department. They're taking steps towards improving that. Thats a good thing, and here's hoping the team makes those steps too. Ultimately that what I'm getting at in this thread.

I'll be honest, it's becoming more and more of a burden to go to Husker games. I can see a better game at home on my fancy-schmancy new flat screen TV, I don't have to pay for crappy, overpriced concession food, I don't have to sit in the sweltering sun or bitterly cold wind, I don't have to pay $52 (or whatever) per game, not counting donations to get my seats in the first place, and I don't have to fight parking and after-game traffic, which is abysmal around the stadium.

I don't have to listen to the band play the same ten songs every single game, I don't have to have that damned sound system blasting in my ear EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF FREE TIME so I can't talk about what's going on with the people around me, I don't have deal with crappy bench seats or people in the wrong section/row, and I don't have to deal with idiots walking in/out during plays so I miss half the damned thing. I also don't have to piss in a trough with 50 other guys standing elbow to elbow.

At home I have my DVR so I can go back and forth and look at the plays at my whim, I can let the game run for a while and do other stuff, then come back to it and skip the commercials, and I can have a beer during the game, which honestly isn't a deal-breaker for me in the stadium (I'm against alcohol sales at Memorial Stadium), but at chez knapplc, it's all right.

None of these problems have anything to do with the head coach or the product on the field. Some are never, ever going to change (like the parking/traffic issue) and some can't ever, ever be as good as my home (as in, no seat in that stadium is as comfy as my Barcalounger). Some may change for the better (like the sound system, although with single-point sourcing I'm still skeptical) and some could change but won't because there are enough idiots out there who are wiling to accept them (the crappy, overpriced concessions).

Can actually sit and coherently type something.

I get all of the things you touched on in saying why it can be nicer just to take in a game at home. I still feel like a good team takes a lot of that away. Case in point, yourself. The band has been pretty meh for awhile now. The sound system has been needing renovation as well.

The troughs, and the "idiots"? Yeah, common as the tides at Memorial Stadium.

And it never used to matter, you'd go because it's fun. And you were watching a good product. And you went to NU.

Anyhow, the department probably has sat on it's laurels a little too long, especially in the amenities department. They're taking steps towards improving that. Thats a good thing, and here's hoping the team makes those steps too. Ultimately that what I'm getting at in this thread.

But the program has been mediocre at best for at, the very VERY least, 10 years now. And this sellout streak still lives. That's why I say that the product on the field is the least to blame. But it still gets some of the blame. I'll agree with that. Just so it's clear. That's what I'm getting at. There are much more other pressing issues to deal with in regards to sellouts than winning 9-10 games and making a conference title game every other year.

• Fire 1

But the program has been mediocre at best for at, the very VERY least, 10 years now. And this sellout streak still lives. That's why I say that the product on the field is the least to blame. But it still gets some of the blame. I'll agree with that. Just so it's clear. That's what I'm getting at. There are much more other pressing issues to deal with in regards to sellouts than winning 9-10 games and making a conference title game every other year.

True, but you are seeing a more and more divided fan base - because of the coach and the performance on the field. It's as divided as I've seen it in a long time. Usually by know it's a tidal wave of koolaid around here. That has to begin to impact things negatively - through merchandise sales and ticket sales and viewership and bowl attendance, etc. That also trickles down into other things like recruiting, national perception, yada yada. It's not something you'll see overnight, but it's in no way a positive thing for the program. This fan base is in desperate need of something unifying. Whether that's wins, or Ameer making a Heisman push. There needs to be something, or else everything else that goes w/ being mediocre is finally going to catch up with us.

• Fire 2

I think they should do some changes to the pre-game atomsphere. It gets a little dull, when you see the same thing leading to the start of the game. If they could have some sort of special "pump up" video before the tunnel walk or something for every game that would help me a little. When you see the tunnel walk game after game but only see minor changes such as the opposing teams logo it gets dull. But there is other stuff that can be done to improve the overall game experience too.

I think they should do some changes to the pre-game atomsphere. It gets a little dull, when you see the same thing leading to the start of the game. If they could have some sort of special "pump up" video before the tunnel walk or something for every game that would help me a little. When you see the tunnel walk game after game but only see minor changes such as the opposing teams logo it gets dull. But there is other stuff that can be done to improve the overall game experience too.

With the new renovations to the Haymarket and most likely the end of the national talk-jocks 'Let's Get Bo' reality show, I think things will be looking up soon. We've had these lulls before and even the championship seasons were not without plenty of trials. Fans had a blast down there during the basketball season and I expect that kind of excitement to continue. However, if anyone thinks they're too old for this stuff, then how about making space or even giving your tickets to a younger fan who never had a chance to go?

• Fire 1

It's as divided as I've seen it in a long time.

Based on what? A media poll? The 50 posters on here on a given day?

"Should Bo Pelini be fired?" poll (bit.ly/1aG6CIu) nearing 8k votes. 44.4 "NO", 43.5 "YES" and 12.1 "Not sure" #Huskers

https://mobile.twitter.com/JournalStarNews/status/379787318577467392

The second article has it 55% keep Bo 36% fire. Seems like more than just husker board is divided.

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2013/pelini-thanks-eichorst-for-support-apologizes-for-friday-frustrations/article_2939bfd4-59de-11e3-9698-0019bb2963f4.html?mobile_touch=true