Hey Huskerboard, needing a little advice and/or info. It looks like after more than a decade Huzkerbob will be moving back to the good life! I am about 90% sure that a big job offer is coming my way in Lincoln. Good news, but my initial search for rent housing hasn't come back with a ton of good options. There are a lot of houses for sale, but that means I have to make a more informed decision about what areas would be a good fit for me and my growing family. Problem is I haven't been to Lincoln for anything but football games in years, so I don't really know where to look for housing or what neighborhoods to avoid. My job will be near the airport on the west side of town so thats something to consider. It would be a tremendous help to us if any Linconites could share some info.

More specifically, what are some of the best schools in the area?

Affordable housing for a large family?

*What are some areas to avoid?

Opinions, advice, personal antidotes? Heck, any help would be greatly appreciated. :nanalama

The definition of "affordable" is different for everyone. The neighborhood to the East of the airport is older but nice. Lots of split levels, if that matters. Further East and north (north of Superior around 14th) is new and nice, good schools there etc. Back by the airport is Fallbrook, its very nice, has a YMCA, and elementary school. These are more into the 300k. Also look in Malcolm, just out side of Lincoln, an old college buddy lives out there, and he really likes it.

I can give you the name of my realtor, PM me if you want it. She was very patient with me, and really helped me figure out what I really wanted.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: The area just east of the airport is called the Highlands I believe. If your Catholic they have and Elementary school there as well.

Also to the west of the ariport is air park, not the best area, really cut off from Lincoln, but they are building up there, so deals may be had.

My sister would say East High is best (but she teaches there).

There was some hoopla about an OK transfer to Lincoln some years ago. Never went to NU, but only 3 schools in Oklahoma had ACT scores above that of the AVERAGE Nebraska ACT average. Any school in Lincoln would be a good choice.

My mother in law is also a realtor if you want that info as well.

From my experience living here for 6 years, you will want to live south of O st. Commuting in Lincoln is terrible no matter where you live, as there are no express streets or anything similar. Having said that, even if you lived in the complete opposite direction, commuting shouldn't take you more than 30 mins. In my opinion, I would rather live closer to things like grocery stores,movie theaters,etc and travel further for work. Most of the good things in lincoln are O st on south.

For education, the better high schools, East(best academic), Southeast and Southwest are south of O St.

I live in the College View neighborhood, which has affordable housing, 150k-200k range. I love the neighborhood as it is basically right in the middle of lincoln, easy access to anything.

Thanks guys, some good info here. Should have been a little more specific about price, but yeah a 4 br in the 150-200 range is where I would like to be. Seems to be quite a few options available in that range. This job is really pushing the time frame on me pretty quickly. Flying me to Lincoln for a face to face on Monday, so I may end up going the relater route out of sheer necessity. There's just no way I'm getting into something by the end of the year. Especially not the "right" place.

Looks like it could be a crazy couple weeks for me and this will give me some things to look into for sure. Appreciate the help fellas and I'll keep you updated if I hear more.