Playoff System

Scratchtown

REdux, you realize that voters nationwide vote, right? You realize the game is on CBS, yes? It's not like ESPN just gets to "pick" the polls.

Put the tin foil down, man!

You do realize that there are a ton of people who watch ESPN and get their views of various teams from that network? You do realize that ESPN has a vested interest in SEC being as dominant as possible?

Nobody has tinfoil. But, to say ESPN doesn't influence things for their best interest is having your head in the sand.

ESPN and CBS both want the SEC in the title game. ESPN does gameday at an SEC showdown that airs on CBS once or twice a year. Watch an episode of Final, Live or Gameday and tell me they dont plug the ever living out of thee top ranked SEC teams just so they get voted up the polls faster.

I'm not saying ESPN doesn't influence for their best interest, but to assume that they control everything is silly and paranoid.

If Auburn jumps undefeated OSU then it'd be pretty obvious why.

If OSU beats MSU by 3 points and Auburn beats Mizzou by 20+ points, what will the reason be? Is it because All 4000 voters are drones and did what ESPN told them to? Or, could it POSSIBLY be because in the LAST game played, the #2 team beat the #12 team by 3 points and the #3 team beat the #5 team be 20? If you knew NOTHING else about those teams, that data alone would be enough to swing some votes, and it has nothing to do with "SEC Bias"

I'm not saying ESPN doesn't influence for their best interest, but to assume that they control everything is silly and paranoid.

If OSU beats MSU by 3 points and Auburn beats Mizzou by 20+ points, what will the reason be? Is it because All 4000 voters are drones and did what ESPN told them to? Or, could it POSSIBLY be because in the LAST game played, the #2 team beat the #12 team by 3 points and the #3 team beat the #5 team be 20? If you knew NOTHING else about those teams, that data alone would be enough to swing some votes, and it has nothing to do with "SEC Bias"

That means nothing. For all we know Michigan State would beat Mizzou by 30. If two teams from power conferences go undefeated they should both go. Auburn had their chance and lost to a 3 loss team.

• Fire 1

You're forgetting that Michigan State is #10. They aren't exactly unranked. Any win for Ohio State has to, HAS TO put them in the title game. Same with Florida State.

4,000 voters? Your information is horribly, horribly off. There are 167 voters comprising 2/3 of the BCS formula, plus the computers doing the final third.

If you look solely at numbers, and it's implied that #2 and #3 are in the same league, then yes your scenario makes sense. But there is a huge gap between 2 and 3. Top two teams are undefeated, and the third place team needed absolute miracles to win their final two games to finish with just one loss instead of three.

The SEC is not some end all of college football. It's the best conference, but not by much. Look no further than Missouri already in their title game. The same Missouri that hasn't won a conference title since the 60s. That powerhouse is suddenly tops of the conference. A one-loss SEC does not belong in the same conversation as an undefeated team from the other power conferences.

• Fire 2

4,000 voters? Your information is horribly, horribly off. There are 167 voters comprising 2/3 of the BCS formula, plus the computers doing the final third.

If you look solely at numbers, and it's implied that #2 and #3 are in the same league, then yes your scenario makes sense. But there is a huge gap between 2 and 3. Top two teams are undefeated, and the third place team needed absolute miracles to win their final two games to finish with just one loss instead of three.

The SEC is not some end all of college football. It's the best conference, but not by much. Look no further than Missouri already in their title game. The same Missouri that hasn't won a conference title since the 60s. That powerhouse is suddenly tops of the conference. A one-loss SEC does not belong in the same conversation as an undefeated team from the other power conferences.

Sorry. There are 4,000 points available in the polls, not 4,000 voters. Typed the wrong number.

You take my post to mean I think Auburn SHOULD overtake OSU. Entirely not the case. Just pointing out that it is possible. There are already some 75 voters who have Auburn ahead of Ohio State so there are many who think the current #3 is better than the current #2.

I don't want to insult your intelligence...but can you explain what the past seasons have to do with this one?? Hate to break this to you...but if Missouri was in the big10, they are undefeated. They would be in this position regardless of conference. And every single husker fan or big10/big12 ding bat that tries to slam the SEC based on what Mizzou is doing this year is showing their ignorance and jealousy. If anything let me flip the script. Look at Nebraska. The fact that your record is what it is given just how avg to even below avg your team is shows just how pathetic your conference is. Do you even make a bowl if you are in the pac12 or sec? six wins max, and I don't know if you even get that. yet you champion OSU like they are gods. They haven't played a team ranked higher than 17 in two years. and that was NW who won 1 conference game and is closer to the bottom 25 than the top 25. Which means OSU's best win is what, Wisconsin. Wisconsin who has beaten only 3 teams that are even remotely decent in Iowa, BYU and Minn. Let that sink in for a minute. The first top 10 team that OSU will play is this weekend. That has to mean something. It has to mean something that their best win is only slightly better than Missouri's win over Florida. There just seems to be some blind hate about this stuff. Blind to how bad the big10 currently is and blind to the possibility of just how good mizzou and auburn might be. And FYI this is MU's 4th time winning or tying for a division in the last 7 seasons. Their 4th 10+ win season in that time frame. acting like we are some scrub group is just dumb

THis stuff just pisses me off frankly. The blind and ignorant statements about my team and others like auburn. I want to see the best teams play, not the best of some weak conference. Just curious if all this big10 love for an undefeated team was there last year for ND? I personally thought ND in that game was a joke. Just the idea of trying to stick it to a conference or build a playoff that will keep the best possible teams out so others feelings don't get hurt is stupid. The big10 pushing this crap is old. 10-15 years ago the roles were reversed and the big10 was the power. no way would they be arguing this way then.

I don't want to insult your intelligence...but can you explain what the past seasons have to do with this one?? Hate to break this to you...but if Missouri was in the big10, they are undefeated. They would be in this position regardless of conference. And every single husker fan or big10/big12 ding bat that tries to slam the SEC based on what Mizzou is doing this year is showing their ignorance and jealousy. If anything let me flip the script. Look at Nebraska. The fact that your record is what it is given just how avg to even below avg your team is shows just how pathetic your conference is. Do you even make a bowl if you are in the pac12 or sec? six wins max, and I don't know if you even get that. yet you champion OSU like they are gods. They haven't played a team ranked higher than 17 in two years. The very first top 10 team they will play is this weekend. That has to mean something. There just seems to be some blind hate about this stuff. Blind to how bad the big10 currently is and blind to the possibility of just how good mizzou and auburn might be. And FYI this is MU's 4th time winning or tying for a division in the last 7 seasons. Their 4th 10+ win season in that time frame. acting like we are some scrub group is just dumb

So past seasons don't matter but then you're reading us Mizzou's resume over the last seven years? OK. Over the last five years these "mediocre" Huskers still have more 10-win seasons and more Division titles than Mizzou. And we don't have two 8-win seasons and a losing season mixed in. Over the last seven that you quote we're all of one behind in both.

Obviously some have more radical comments than others. The SEC is the best conference overall but it's not nearly as far ahead as many would like to believe. At the top end? Yes, it's obviously been the best over the last seven years. Top-to-bottom? Still yes but not terribly so.

But it's more than just a footnote that two teams that were second-tier in the Big XII are doing very well in the SEC in the first two years that they joined. That doesn't take anything away from what Mizzou or Texas A&M are doing, just another point to show that the SEC isn't head-and-shoulders above the rest of college football.