Non Contributors

MT949597

It's the time of the year to look at our roster and decide who's made an impact and who still hasn't seen the field in since they've stepped foot in Lincoln. I know there were about three players recently that were placed on medical hardship, but there are more guys on this roster than haven't played a down since arriving on campus and likely never will that are taking up scholarships that could be used going forward to recruits or given to a guy like a RK III.

Loyalty is a wonderful thing, but an athletic scholarship is no different than any other scholarship. If you receive a full academic scholarship to UNL and don't make the grades/GPA you will lose that scholarship. In my mind, that is how it should go for football, if you can't cut it at D-I football then it is time to move on and this coaching staff will help you find a new home. To start competing with the big boys we must start acting like them.

I thought RK III was on scholarahip this year and also that he will be ineligible next year. I get what you're saying but might need a better example.

Edit- I hadn't read the 2nd paragraph when I originally responded. I do not agree with pulling schollies unless the player is acting counter to our best interests.

It's the time of the year to look at our roster and decide who's made an impact and who still hasn't seen the field in since they've stepped foot in Lincoln. I know there were about three players recently that were placed on medical hardship, but there are more guys on this roster than haven't played a down since arriving on campus and likely never will that are taking up scholarships that could be used going forward to recruits or given to a guy like a RK III.

Loyalty is a wonderful thing, but an athletic scholarship is no different than any other scholarship. If you receive a full academic scholarship to UNL and don't make the grades/GPA you will lose that scholarship. In my mind, that is how it should go for football, if you can't cut it at D-I football then it is time to move on and this coaching staff will help you find a new home. To start competing with the big boys we must start acting like them.

there is more to an athletic scholarship than just the athletic side. the B1G also rules of sorts to prevent student-athletes from just being cut. and just because a player doesnt see the field on saturday doesnt mean he isnt contributing in making the team better.

I hope we never operate the program as you suggest. Kids aren't given these scholarships on the premise of seeing a certain amount of playing time, like academic scholarships are given for GPA. Recruiting is a calculated risk. Also, there are more ways to contribute to a team other than you see on Saturdays. That is how the NFL and SEC operate, and I hope we never stoop to their level.

• Fire 8

One of the best traits Bo Pelini has is loyalty. I never want that to die, and if that means we'll sacrifice a roster spot to fulfill our commitment to a kid we made a promise to, then so be it.

Bo recruited Zack Darlington, and he wants Zack here, at Nebraska. Zack suffered a horrific concussion early this football season and may never play again. Kid has all the talent in the world, but it may be the best thing for him to hang up the cleats for good. Bo is going to honor his recruitment of Darlington, and that scholarship offer still stands. It is, without question, the right thing to do. Let the kid come here, let him get his education, and let him build a foundation for the rest of his life. This is a great place to do exactly that. If Darlington never takes the field here it's a wasted roster spot, but it's only one of 85 scholarships. We can find contributors among the other 84.

I support the OP's right to hold his opinion. I am utterly opposed to that practice here at Nebraska, though.

• Fire 4

One of the best traits Bo Pelini has is loyalty. I never want that to die, and if that means we'll sacrifice a roster spot to fulfill our commitment to a kid we made a promise to, then so be it. Bo recruited Zack Darlington, and he wants Zack here, at Nebraska. Zack suffered a horrific concussion early this football season and may never play again. Kid has all the talent in the world, but it may be the best thing for him to hang up the cleats for good. Bo is going to honor his recruitment of Darlington, and that scholarship offer still stands. It is, without question, the right thing to do. Let the kid come here, let him get his education, and let him build a foundation for the rest of his life. This is a great place to do exactly that. If Darlington never takes the field here it's a wasted roster spot, but it's only one of 85 scholarships. We can find contributors among the other 84. I support the OP's right to hold his opinion. I am utterly opposed to that practice here at Nebraska, though.

I agree with knapp. A&M is holding through to its commitment to a HS player who suffered a back injury. I lose respect for teams who pull schollys if a player is bad or suffered a career ending injury.

I think what the OP isn't seeing is that what is being suggested is what is WRONG with colleges athletics. Most notably football. There is nothing right about it. The NCAA should close that loophole. And schools should not be encouraged to follow the path of the SEC.

NCAA is a joke. Thats part of the reason the B10 is considering leaving it and starting its own league. That's why the conference realignment is so interesting. A few more schools in the right geography and the new contracts with fox and it will have the same market pull as ESPN.

The goal of college athletics, when it is in pure form, is to equip and mold young people into respectable adults that have all the tools they need to succeed in life.

Bo Pelini sees himself as an educator before a football coach. As he should. From that perspective, those scholarships are not wasted. They are incredibly valuable gifts given to kids with the chance to make something for themselves.

Cutting them would actually be detrimental towards that end.

Didn't Adam Taylor our running back out of Texas have offers pulled off the table after suffering an ACL injury during his junior year. Which pretty much allowed us to get him.

While I'm not sold on Bo's coaching, these type of things (Darlington) are the reason I'm also not advocating for a change. He does an awful lot of good things for the program away from the field.

This is what is wrong with sports...from youth to college. This idea is insane!!! Some kids might take 1-3 years to develop into the player the coaches recruit. Also, there are some that come on board and they are making the others around them better and themselves better.

What if you came in and needed this time to get adjusted to the speed of the game and other differences from high school. If you don't contribute in your first years the coach just cuts you and you are done....CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY!