Comments from the Shawn Eichorst "Sports Nightly" appearance last night

knapplc

AD Shawn "Mr. Invisible" Eichorst made his monthly appearance on the Sports Nightly show from Husker Sports Network.

Eichorst said he's "darned proud" of the way the team battled this season. Said it wasn't how anyone expected it to turn out, and he cited the crazy number of injuries across the team. Said the team fought through that adversity all season.

Eichorst said he didn't think the results of this season were based on a lack of preparation by Bo or the staff. Said Bo has admitted that he has shortcomings and he's working on them. Said that his policy of evaluating his coaches at the end of the season is why he didn't comment until last Saturday about Bo's future.

Eichorst basically said the only reason he made a comment last weekend was because his hand was forced by "all the reports" out there, some that got too personal, that were mostly unfounded. Said that if he had commented on Bo's status earlier in the season it would have created unrealistic scenarios pertaining to Bo's job. Basically, to paraphrase my paraphrasing, he's saying that anything he said would have been considered a benchmark, and he wasn't going to give that impression to anyone. I took this to mean the press would have spun any statement he made into "Bo must do ______ or he's fired," and that's not what Eichorst wanted, so he said nothing. Also cited his personal policy of waiting until the season is finished to fully evaluate the coach's performance.

Eichorst talked about the Fan Experience at Memorial Stadium on gamedays. Said he spent time every game walking through tailgates talking to fans about the game, and said they're going to work on the wifi, the sound system and the band before next year.

• Fire 1

A new sound system in the stadium would be fantastic. I can barely hear the tunnel walk most of the time I go to games. That also might have something to do with myself being in close proximity of several large explosions in my life but I digress.

And the band. I always thought we had a great band. Until we joined the B1G and saw their bands. We got some catching up to do. :lol:

A new sound system in the stadium would be fantastic. I can barely hear the tunnel walk most of the time I go to games. That also might have something to do with myself being in close proximity of several large explosions in my life but I digress.

And the band. I always thought we had a great band. Until we joined the B1G and saw their bands. We got some catching up to do. :lol:

It's not that they are bad they just need a little updating.

It's not that they are bad they just need a little updating.

Yeah, agreed. Our band isn't bad at all. It's just that they're a step behind the B1G bands, which are the best in the nation.

LOL, the guy needs to take responsibility rather than rationalize his ridiculous inaction the previous two weeks. At minimum he should've said something to Bo earlier, he obviously wasn't looking to can Bo, who obviously could've stood to hear some level of support. Bo and probably the staff/team was ragged-out by all this drama and it was obvious after the game he was ready for the axe to fall. In terms of a public statement all SE basically needed to do was have the minimal foresight to release a statement along the lines of the one release post-Iowa saying not to believe the rumor-mill and that any evaluation weren't planned til after the season. Any rumors you hear are just that, baseless, and this activity is distracting for a program trying to win games.

I don't care how you like to handle things, this was a situation that needed to be dealt with and he is getting paid a million per to do it.

• Fire 1