Abdullah and Gregory NFL Status

Warrior10

Gregory's weight really shouldn't be an issue. Abdullah I can see...there are a lot of backs in the world, after all. Gregory seriously just reminds me of JPP. No 43 team can complain about that and he can be a 34 OLB too.

NFL is truly stuck on what a position should "look like". Hell they loved Josh Freeman and Gabbert..............

I don't think this is true. The NFL is very bottom line. Look at Danny Woodhead for example, or undrafted Texas Tech alum receivers Wes Welker and Danny Amendola. There are plenty of guys who don't have the measurables who make it. But there are also plenty of the guys who don't have the measurables who don't. Why spend your prime high picks on those guys, when you can bring in a dozen of the latter category in for workouts or draft them later?

I agree with this. IMO, the NFL looks at the measurables first. That is the reason some guys get all the pre-draft hype and some are relegated further down in predictions. They have the chance in the combine to impress as well as in camp, but the initial chatter is always about the guys who "look" the part.

I think AA would do a great job ala Sproles, but scouts have him lower based up his size and probably his fumbles.....

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but some Husker beat reporter named Callahan was on local radio in ATL this week and I beleive he said Gregory has lost some weight and it's made him a significanly faster player. I could definitely have that wrong though... can one of you more educated people verify this for me?

Abdullah would be wise to enter the draft this year. Next year the draft is going to be stacked with some of the best running back talent in a long time. Same reason Murray should have left last year at QB position, the competition is much worse for him in this draft with Johnny, Mett, Bridgewater, McCarron, and on and on. If Abdullah waits until next year, he might not even get drafted with Gurley, Marshall, Yeldon, the ASU kid, Tre Mason, Mike Davis, and on and on.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but some Husker beat reporter named Callahan was on local radio in ATL this week and I beleive he said Gregory has lost some weight and it's made him a significanly faster player. I could definitely have that wrong though... can one of you more educated people verify this for me?

Abdullah would be wise to enter the draft this year. Next year the draft is going to be stacked with some of the best running back talent in a long time. Same reason Murray should have left last year at QB position, the competition is much worse for him in this draft with Johnny, Mett, Bridgewater, McCarron, and on and on. If Abdullah waits until next year, he might not even get drafted with Gurley, Marshall, Yeldon, the ASU kid, Tre Mason, Mike Davis, and on and on.

Gregory has lost 20-25 pounds since he arrived to campus in late summer. I'm sure he added some speed by losing that weight, but he has always been extremely athletic and fast.

Note that the weight he did lose isn't like he was overweight and needed to lose it to become a better player. He wishes he didn't lose that weight, it's muscle and "good weight" he lost. He has just had trouble keeping it on.

Wouldn't blame Abdullah one bit if he left. I think there is a valuable lesson to be learned from Marlon Lucky. We were all on pins and needs because he was projected to be a second round pick. Stayed for his senior year and his stock was decimated.

I readily admit my memory is failing at best so I could be way off base, but I don't think Marlon Lucky was ever thought of as a high round draft pick in the NFL. He was a good receiver out of the backfield, but the NFL just doesn't draft those guys highly.

If Abdullah left who would be the starting RB? I would say Cross but he just doesn't really fit our spread type offense.

I'm still really excited to see Adam Taylor on the field. His high school highlights are pretty special. And I have to think a year of experience for Newby is going to do wonders also. Both of them look like they could be quite cabable replacements for Ameer.

Wouldn't blame Abdullah one bit if he left. I think there is a valuable lesson to be learned from Marlon Lucky. We were all on pins and needs because he was projected to be a second round pick. Stayed for his senior year and his stock was decimated.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter when you're that good. That's why he's starting in the NFL.

If Abdullah left who would be the starting RB? I would say Cross but he just doesn't really fit our spread type offense.

I'm still really excited to see Adam Taylor on the field. His high school highlights are pretty special. And I have to think a year of experience for Newby is going to do wonders also. Both of them look like they could be quite cabable replacements for Ameer.

I agree, he seems balanced between being Ameer and Imani. He is a bigger back but also has more speed than you would think.

Am I the only one that could care less about where someone is sitting in draft status? As long as he's great here, I could care less about the NFL. Then again, I don't watch NFL at all.

The NFL is a good barometer for judging the skill level of players on your team. While it is by no means the end all be all, look at who Nebraska sent to the NFL after the 2009/2010 seasons and who they send after the 2012/2013 seasons. That 2009 team was loaded with NFL talent and it correlated to having one of the best defense in Nebraska football history. Compare that to last year where there was almost no NFL talent and our defense, outside of pass defense, was pretty average at best.

Again, who gets drafted in the NFL is certainly not the only measuring stick for how good a player/team is, but I think there's something to be said for the idea that when there's a really good football team, you usually see quite a few players head to the NFL. When a team is average/bad, not as many players make the next step.

• Fire 1
Am I the only one that could care less about where someone is sitting in draft status? As long as he's great here, I could care less about the NFL. Then again, I don't watch NFL at all.

The NFL is a good barometer for judging the skill level of players on your team. While it is by no means the end all be all, look at who Nebraska sent to the NFL after the 2009/2010 seasons and who they send after the 2012/2013 seasons. That 2009 team was loaded with NFL talent and it correlated to having one of the best defense in Nebraska football history. Compare that to last year where there was almost no NFL talent and our defense, outside of pass defense, was pretty average at best.

Again, who gets drafted in the NFL is certainly not the only measuring stick for how good a player/team is, but I think there's something to be said for the idea that when there's a really good football team, you usually see quite a few players head to the NFL. When a team is average/bad, not as many players make the next step.

I'd agree with this... If Nebraska is to ever get back to the level of competition and success we all expect from a national and league title contender, you better believe it needs to coincide with us putting some top picks in the draft (first couple of rounds, not necessarily top 10). It's not hard to find a correlation that the teams who are consistently top 10 are usually the schools with multiple top 4 round picks. Look at who's doing their thing for us in the NFL, Suh, David, Dennard, Prince- All guys who were top round picks (barring dennard's run in with the cops) and guys who led our team and consistently made plays for shut down defenses.

Remains to be seen if this staff has the recruiting and development skills to finally send an offensive player early in the draft.