1620 The Zone Round Table Discussion

teachercd

Polo, so as I understand this, the kids are responsible for the strength and conditioning work outs. No coach truly monitors their progress or lack there of. No certain standards are set for body type, density or anything. They have a general work out, and that is it.

I watched a special on Oregon or Bama, can not remember which one, but their equipment kept track of who did what, how much the did and who did the the most every single day. A competition. All electronically kept, no way of not doing the work out nor any way of cheating on it. Do we have that type of equipment. It went by name, past records, past sets, pretty scientific it sounded. I just assumed most had that type of equipment, and the coach was always around. It seem there were a lot of strength and conditioning counselors. I think this is how Bama and Oregon get around the actual number of coaches.

We used to set the standards for Strength and Conditioning. Have we become set in our ways, not growing, changing and developing with the others?

Why look stuff up when it is so much easier to just make false claims, right?

What false claim? I'll say it again. I heard, with my own ears a father of a current member of the team say the following.

"The players are accountable for themselves for strength and conditioning."

-to which Damon Benning replied: "THAT is a problem"

and it is a problem. I'm still glad that there's all these interactive gadgets to show players what they have to do to achieve past success, but ultimately its on them? Why is there a S&C coach again? Watch the video Skersfan was referring to on 60 minutes, its called "Building Bama". There are people there holding the players accountable. And its closer to the program Nebraska had years ago than Nebraska has now.

You can want to form these people into responsible men, that is of course admirable. But the laissez-faire, borderline delusional attitude that they'll all figure it out themselves without any motivation is insanity. And it will eventually cost Bo his job here.

You can want to form these people into responsible men, that is of course admirable. But the laissez-faire, borderline delusional attitude that they'll all figure it out themselves without any motivation is insanity. And it will eventually cost Bo his job here.

also, i do not think the notion of holding young men accountable and forming them into responsible men are mutually exclusive. you have to teach them how to be accountable to themselves by making them accountable to the coach first. instill the work ethic while they are on the team, and then trust that they will take that value and utilize when they are out on their own.

So put that bullsh#t to rest, he has clearly said he will not change, so why would he ask for others suggestions when there's no willingness to implement them?

I seriously doubt you know who Pelini may or may not seek coaching wisdom and advice from.

You would be correct.

I've got a theory...it's got a miniature Bo on one shoulder dressed in white and a halo...and another miniature Bo on the other shoulder with a red suit and horns. Probably varies which one he listens to from week to week.

also, i do not think the notion of holding young men accountable and forming them into responsible men are mutually exclusive. you have to teach them how to be accountable to themselves by making them accountable to the coach first. instill the work ethic while they are on the team, and then trust that they will take that value and utilize when they are out on their own.

If only that's how it worked.

It has, did here, does at other places, and would again.

No one is saying the success rate is 100%. But c'mon.

Polo, so as I understand this, the kids are responsible for the strength and conditioning work outs. No coach truly monitors their progress or lack there of. No certain standards are set for body type, density or anything. They have a general work out, and that is it.

I watched a special on Oregon or Bama, can not remember which one, but their equipment kept track of who did what, how much the did and who did the the most every single day. A competition. All electronically kept, no way of not doing the work out nor any way of cheating on it. Do we have that type of equipment. It went by name, past records, past sets, pretty scientific it sounded. I just assumed most had that type of equipment, and the coach was always around. It seem there were a lot of strength and conditioning counselors. I think this is how Bama and Oregon get around the actual number of coaches.

We used to set the standards for Strength and Conditioning. Have we become set in our ways, not growing, changing and developing with the others?

What false claim? I'll say it again. I heard, with my own ears a father of a current member of the team say the following.

and it is a problem. I'm still glad that there's all these interactive gadgets to show players what they have to do to achieve past success, but ultimately its on them? Why is there a S&C coach again? Watch the video Skersfan was referring to on 60 minutes, its called "Building Bama". There are people there holding the players accountable. And its closer to the program Nebraska had years ago than Nebraska has now.

"Im not sure exactly how their lifting sessions go, but I get a sense that there isn't that level of competition there. (Goes on to talk about the weight room at his old school and competition between players.) But I wonder if there is that competition in the weight room here. And Im not saying there is or isn't. I wonder" -Michael Rose Sr.

Earlier in the show: "I don't talk to Michael much about football or try not to at least because I just want to be dad. He has enough people, enough pressure to talk to him about that."

Jesus man, if you're going to bash the program, at least get the quote correct. He doesn't know one way or the other, he says it himself.

The idea is teaching these guys through football about life. Having someone screaming in their ear for 5 years will not have the effect that you think. Will productivity on the football field increase? Probably. But will the guys going through the football program learn how to be men and quality citizens in the world? Maybe, but the chances are MUCH more likely the way that Bo does it. I'm okay with waiting an extra couple of years for a championship if it means doing things the right way. If it doesn't work out like that, then we move on and give the next coach a shot at doing it.

"Im not sure exactly how their lifting sessions go, but I get a sense that there isn't that level of competition there. (Goes on to talk about the weight room at his old school and competition between players.) But I wonder if there is that competition in the weight room here. And Im not saying there is or isn't. I wonder" -Michael Rose Sr.

Earlier in the show: "I don't talk to Michael much about football or try not to at least because I just want to be dad. He has enough people, enough pressure to talk to him about that."

Jesus man, if you're going to bash the program, at least get the quote correct. He doesn't know one way or the other, he says it himself.

I got my quote that I used correct. Thanks though!

And I'm not basing the program. I'm questioning some of tactics used to make these players successful by guys who make six to seven figures a year. There is a difference.

I got my quote that I used correct. Thanks though!

And I'm not basing the program. I'm questioning some of tactics used to make these players successful by guys who make six to seven figures a year. There is a difference.

What segment? He doesn't say that at all in the segment named strength and conditioning.

The idea is teaching these guys through football about life. Having someone screaming in their ear for 5 years will not have the effect that you think. Will productivity on the football field increase? Probably. But will the guys going through the football program learn how to be men and quality citizens in the world? Maybe, but the chances are MUCH more likely the way that Bo does it. I'm okay with waiting an extra couple of years for a championship if it means doing things the right way. If it doesn't work out like that, then we move on and give the next coach a shot at doing it.

If screaming in their ear for five years has no effect then why is that tactic employed on the sidelines in front of cameras?

And if you think this program is just a few years away from a championship under this current system, we'll, you'd probably be very interested in the lucrative world of bridge ownership.

I think it was in the one where they were talking about prop 48, and they brought up the 09 CCG game.

"I was gonna say, I think with the way Coach Bo has it set up with the players, the players have to take on an accountability to make themselves a lot...use the resources. I think that is kinda whats missing. There are players that may be not putting in the effort to be...to improve themselves. That's just from what I've seen. You know, strength and conditioning, we have the greatest facilities...well on par with the greatest facilities around the country. But with the way Coach Bo's philosophy is with the players, they need to be accountable for doing the things that need to be done. Whether its on the field and off the field...(quote goes on a little longer)"

Nowhere does he say coaches aren't in the weight room watching or helping. And at the end of the day, it is up to them to work hard. I always tell my players that I coach, "Im not your babysitter. I can't watch you at practice or out of practice all the time. It is your job to work hard when Im not around." These are college athletes, they should be able to lift weights without someone helping them the entire time. Its that way in HS, also.

And if what he says is true about kids not working as hard as they can, where are the leaders stepping in and making sure everyone is working hard? Its on the players just as much as the coaches.

• Fire 2

I think it was in the one where they were talking about prop 48, and they brought up the 09 CCG game.

"I was gonna say, I think with the way Coach Bo has it set up with the players, the players have to take on an accountability to make themselves a lot...use the resources. I think that is kinda whats missing. There are players that may be not putting in the effort to be...to improve themselves. That's just from what I've seen. You know, strength and conditioning, we have the greatest facilities...well on par with the greatest facilities around the country. But with the way Coach Bo's philosophy is with the players, they need to be accountable for doing the things that need to be done. Whether its on the field and off the field...(quote goes on a little longer)"

Nowhere does he say coaches aren't in the weight room watching or helping. And at the end of the day, it is up to them to work hard. I always tell my players that I coach, "Im not your babysitter. I can't watch you at practice or out of practice all the time. It is your job to work hard when Im not around." These are college athletes, they should be able to lift weights without someone helping them the entire time. Its that way in HS, also.

And if what he says is true about kids not working as hard as they can, where are the leaders stepping in and making sure everyone is working hard? Its on the players just as much as the coaches.

Totally agree with what you said about the leaders on the team. They've been missing that for a long time.

But who things could look like this, I have to wonder. They're trying to hold men accountable and prepare them too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WZd6AyDZFs&sns=em