My journey to drop the weight

How's your weight loss coming, Minnesota_sker? I weighed in at 208 this AM. Lightest I've tipped the scale in a year or so. Still got a ways to go though. :lol:

edit: 24 hours later I tip the scale at 211. I'm on a damn roller coaster!

You gotta average this out over a week to start to see trends. You can literally weigh 5-10 pounds different depending on when the last time you ate was and a bunch of other factors. You need an average to normalize this stuff.

How's your weight loss coming, Minnesota_sker? I weighed in at 208 this AM. Lightest I've tipped the scale in a year or so. Still got a ways to go though. :lol:

edit: 24 hours later I tip the scale at 211. I'm on a damn roller coaster!

You gotta average this out over a week to start to see trends. You can literally weigh 5-10 pounds different depending on when the last time you ate was and a bunch of other factors. You need an average to normalize this stuff.

Yeah, unfortunately I've been trending upward. Not downward. I actually weigh around 215. I'd like to be around 200 or so.

Forgot all about this thread.

Since January I have been working out at lunch. Keeping it simple.. just run/walk 30 minutes a day.

Been doing that for a little over a month and down about 13 pounds.

Nothing too thrilling.

Eating a lot less and more healthy.

Going to Mexico in April and trying to get down for that.

you-can-do-it-.gif

• 1 year later...

Stumpy hooked me up with a plan, and I've done some digging on menus and meal plans. In general, does this sound like good advice?

Eat: Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, high-fat dairy, fats, healthy oils and maybe even some tubers and non-gluten grains.

Don’t Eat: Sugar, HFCS, wheat, seed oils, trans fats, artificial sweeteners, “diet” and low-fat products and highly processed foods.

You should avoid these 7 foods, in order of importance:

• Sugar: Soft drinks, fruit juices, agave, candy, ice cream and many others.
  • Gluten Grains: Wheat, spelt, barley and rye. Includes breads and pastas.
  • Trans Fats: “Hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils.
  • High Omega-6 Seed- and Vegetable Oils: Cottonseed-, soybean-, sunflower-, grapeseed-, corn-, safflower and canola oils.
  • Artificial Sweeteners: Aspartame, Saccharin, Sucralose, Cyclamates and Acesulfame Potassium. Use Stevia instead.
  • “Diet” and “Low-Fat” Products: Many dairy products, cereals, crackers, etc.
  • Highly Processed Foods: If it looks like it was made in a factory, don’t eat it.
You should base your diet on these real, unprocessed, low-carb foods.
  • Meat: Beef, lamb, pork, chicken and others. Grass-fed is best.
  • Fish: Salmon, trout, haddock and many others. Wild-caught fish is best.
  • Eggs: Omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs are best.
  • Vegetables: Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and many others.
  • Fruits: Apples, oranges, pears, blueberries, strawberries.
  • Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
  • High-Fat Dairy: Cheese, butter, heavy cream, yogurt.
  • Fats and Oils: Coconut oil, butter, lard, olive oil and cod fish liver oil.
If you need to lose weight, be careful with the cheese and nuts because they’re easy to overeat on. Don’t eat more than one piece of fruit per day.

If you’re healthy, active and don’t need to lose weight then you can afford to eat a bit more carbs.

• Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes and some others.
  • Non-gluten grains: Rice, oats, quinoa and many others.
  • Legumes: Lentils, black beans, pinto beans, etc. (If you can tolerate them).
You can have these in moderation if you want:
  • Dark Chocolate: Choose organic brands with 70% cocoa or higher.
  • Wine: Choose dry wines with no added sugar or carbs.

My big issue is going to be bread and pasta. Love both, and I've been getting into making my own breads. Pizza dough included. I don't eat sweets or ice cream or drink soda, I barely use sugar in anything, and I cook about 90% of the food I eat which means fresh ingredients, no salt, low on cheese and stuff like that. But I don't lose weight, and I've been over 300lbs for the last 15 years.

It'll take a while to get used to a dietary change, but since I'm the one who buys and makes all our food, that shouldn't be too tough.

I came to this forum to post about something else and I did a search to find a post I made about biking and found this. It's been two years. I haven't done any of this yet.

Poop.