My journey to drop the weight

Good luck- don't cut out too much or you may be as unbearable to live with like after a Husker loss. I too wish to hit that 220 (6'3" frame) by Feb. The only exercise I get is I play basketball twice a week. I travel most of the week dining out with clients almost every night. I have cut back on bread and my steak is now in the 6-8 oz portion without bone and 18 oz with it. I now just take home a doggie bag- but I have dropped 6, got another 18 to go. I will get lunch on the road, but end up chewing or spitting out some of it (window) while I am driving. I don't deny myself dessert, but instead of the a whole piece, I have 3-4 bites that I chew much longer- yeah baby steps for me. It keeps my from being an intolerable jerk.

Minnesota...thanks for starting this thread...and thanks to all who have replied with all sorts of replies/suggestions (even the sarcasm!) :D

but I am right there with you man. With my job, I do a lot of sitting as well and now that I am north of 40 years old, I have been putting it on.

For the last month and a half, I have been going to the gym to do lighter weight with high reps in a circuit training scenario. After that, I hit the elliptical hard for 20 minutes (can't run or treadmill due to back and knee issues - thanks years of football!) and really trying to watch what I am eating and feel I am doing fairly well in that regard.

This is where it gets frustrating. In the month and a half or so, I haven't lost a single pound. In fact, I have gained 4.5 pounds! I would like to say that it is muscle gain, but seriously, when I was training for football back when I was in college and I was full of piss and vinegar, I couldn't put muscle on that fast.

That is why I appreciate the OP and the feedback in this thread...I am really racking my brain trying to figure something out. I think the next step is to visit my doctor and get some testing done to see if I am not battling a thyroid issue or something...

I take 3 fish oil pills and a CoQ10 every day and I feel like my metabolism has gotten better. I get full faster and dont crave food when bored as much. Im not a huge guy, Im just short and stocky so even the s.allest amount of extra weight is a nuissance.

The sleep is a huge factor for me. Cutting out pop or at least in the afternoon should help you sleep better and will cut back on sugar. Caffeine kills me at night wheras my wife could chug a couple Dews before bed and zonk right out.

Jiu Jitsu is a great way to cut weight. Sparring is an excellent workout and probably does more than you expect calorie burn wise. Good luck man.

This is where it gets frustrating. In the month and a half or so, I haven't lost a single pound. In fact, I have gained 4.5 pounds! I would like to say that it is muscle gain, but seriously, when I was training for football back when I was in college and I was full of piss and vinegar, I couldn't put muscle on that fast.

That is why I appreciate the OP and the feedback in this thread...I am really racking my brain trying to figure something out. I think the next step is to visit my doctor and get some testing done to see if I am not battling a thyroid issue or something...

I would give it another couple of weeks. If you were inactive for a long time it's highly likely your body is just adjusting right now. Things are a little different at 40 than they are for mid 20's like me, but when I started lifting again I went through swings of plus or minus 3-5 pounds for 2 or 3 months, and those could be 3 pounds in a week. I was working on my dialing in my diet too, but I wouldn't be to alarmed just yet. Focus on your form and progression of strength for now, and check back on the weight in a few weeks.

By the way guys there is also this thread: http://www.huskerboa...__fromsearch__1

I would give it another couple of weeks. If you were inactive for a long time it's highly likely your body is just adjusting right now. Things are a little different at 40 than they are for mid 20's like me, but when I started lifting again I went through swings of plus or minus 3-5 pounds for 2 or 3 months, and those could be 3 pounds in a week. I was working on my dialing in my diet too, but I wouldn't be to alarmed just yet. Focus on your form and progression of strength for now, and check back on the weight in a few weeks.

Thanks ZRod...will do. Not really excited about going to the doctor's anyway...b/c...well, I don't like them. chuckleshuffle

(snip)

By the way guys there is also this thread: http://www.huskerboa...__fromsearch__1

Great thread and, to be honest, if you really want some good advice, PM Chaddyboxer. Nothing against anyone else, but I'd trust him over anyone else on the board to dispense good, fitness and dieting advice.