...the final straw will be a blowout against short-handed Georgia

5. The interim coaches will go unbeaten. Five teams are playing with fill-ins in Arkansas State (John Thompson), Boise State (Bob Gregory), Bowling Green (Adam Scheier), USC (Clay Helton) and Washington (Marques Tuiasosopo). In the past 18 bowl games, coaches taking over in-season have gone 7-11 and these guys will buck the trend.

15. Mack Brown will go out with a win. Oregon is a 14-point favorite in the Alamo Bowl, but Texas, behind Jackson Jeffcoat (12 sacks; 21 tackles for loss) will keep Marcus Mariota and Co. out of rhythm.

22. Duke will top the Aggies. David Cutcliffe and Co. will cap a dream season by claiming their first bowl victory since beating Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl in 1961.

26. Jadeveon Clowney will double his sack total in the Capital One Bowl. Granted, the preseason All-American has only three, but he'll get that many as South Carolina faces Wisconsin. He'll also give us a memorable hit to supplant this one.

I wouldn't put much stock in FoxSport's Gator Bowl/Pelini prediction. Did anyone actually read through these predictions? There are some pretty wild ones there. :lol:

yeah, like Texas beating Oregon......they don't have a snowballs' chance in hell.

That's not a bold prediction, it's a dumb one

Why anyone would fire their coach after a bowl is beyond me. You lose out on most of the good coaching candidates, you throw a recruiting class down the drain...as an AD your decision better not hinge on one crappy bowl game a month removed from the regular season

• Fire 1

On the other hand........(From Randy York's post on the N-Sider via Huskers.com)

To coincide with the most wonderful time of the year, The N-Sider offers up some interesting little twists that make watching the Nebraska-Georgia Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl more historically relevant and, by its very nature, more fun. Let’s start with a bit of a stunner: In the history of college football, only seven BCS conference coaches have posted at least nine wins in each of their first six seasons as a head coach at that school. The last time something like that happened dates back four decades ago when Tom Osborne won at least nine games from 1973 to the 1978 season and, of course, went on to keep that streak for all 25 of his years as a head coach. Barry Switzer launched his head coaching career at Oklahoma the same year Osborne began at Nebraska. Switzer kept his minimum 9-win streak alive for his first eight years at OU before his Sooner teams finished 7-4-1 in 1981 and 8-4 in both ’82 and ’83. The list of coaches who have launched each of the first six years at a BCS school with at least nine wins includes:

Dr. Henry L. Williams (Minnesota) 1900-05, 65 wins

Dennis Erickson (Miami) 1989-93, 63 wins

Barry Switzer (Oklahoma) 1973-78, 62 wins

Steve Spurrier (Florida) 1990-95, 61 wins

Mack Brown (Texas) 1998-2003, 59 wins

Earl Bruce (Ohio State), 1979-84, 56 wins

Tom Osborne (Nebraska) 1973-78, 55 wins

That’s our trivial pursuit version of something that might expand from a Magnificent Seven to an Elite Eight list on New Year’s Day. If Bo Pelini can lead Nebraska to an upset win over Georgia in their Jacksonville rematch of last year’s Capital One Bowl, he can add his name to the “first six-seasons list” and increase his win total to 57, one more than Bruce and two more than Osborne, the man who hired him.

Osborne and Switzer Shared National Excellence

How rare is it for two coaches like Osborne and Switzer to rank so high on the same list? For three decades, they battled for seasonal supremacy in late November. Let the record show that Osborne lost to Switzer the first five of those six years (‘73-74-75-76-77) until the Huskers upset the top-ranked Sooners, 17-14 in 1978. Years later, Osborne made a substantive observation: “Our fans used to think Oklahoma was the enemy, but they actually made us better,” he said. Osborne and Switzer were longtime rivals who had great respect for each other. They are the only two coaches on the list who started their head coaching careers at that school during those designated years. With a win, Pelini, would be the third to achieve that milestone in his first head coaching stop. Erickson, Spurrier, Brown and Bruce had previously been head coaches at another BCS school.

Williams had previously been a head coach, but not at a BCS school. Big Ten history buffs know that Williams was Minnesota’s head football coach from 1900 to 1921. What some might not know is that Williams Arena, the home for Gopher basketball, is named after the legendary football coach.

If Pelini joins Switzer and Osborne as history-makers in their respective first six seasons, he also would become the first BCS conference coach in college football history to take over a losing team and lead it to at least nine wins for each of his first six seasons. Pelini’s win total in comparative charts does not reflect his serving as Nebraska’s interim head coach when the Huskers beat Michigan State, 19-3, in the 2003 Alamo Bowl. The NCAA, however, recognizes Pelini’s Alamo Bowl win over the Spartans, giving the Youngstown, Ohio, native a 3-3 overall bowl game record as a head coach.

Bo Ranks 10th Among Active Division I Coaches

We finish this blog sharing the list of active college football Division I coaches who have the most wins since 2008, the year that Pelini first became an NCAA head coach. Here’s the elite company he’s in:

1) Nick Saban, Alabama, 72

2) Chris Peterson, Boise State, 68

3) Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, 62

4) Gary Patterson, TCU, 58

5) Les Miles, LSU, 60

6-7) Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State, 59

6-7) Brian Kelly, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, 59

8) Urban Meyer, Florida, Ohio State, 58

9) Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech, 57

10) Bo Pelini, Nebraska, 56

Numbers don’t lie. They frame historical perspective. Hope you enjoyed this little history lesson. It heightens my interest in the bowl rematch. How about yours?

Bo will be here next year no matter what happens in the bowl. Just get used to it. Im not completely pro or anti Bo, still on the fence, but i guarantee he will be the coach at Nebraska next year. I do hope he lets go of his ego a little though because changes need to be made, not staff necessarily, but from things ive heard things need to be changed with how they practice and how they hold players accountable for getting their strength and conditioning done.

I think the practice issues are the biggest thing right now. From what I understand they dont practice very efficiently which isnt too hard to believe with what we see on the field on saturdays with turnovers, penalties, mental mistakes, etc. You play like you practice. I would venture to say that the best teams practices are run with urgency and military like precision.

Bo will be here next year no matter what happens in the bowl. Just get used to it. Im not completely pro or anti Bo, still on the fence, but i guarantee he will be the coach at Nebraska next year. I do hope he lets go of his ego a little though because changes need to be made, not staff necessarily, but from things ive heard things need to be changed with how they practice and how they hold players accountable for getting their strength and conditioning done.

I think the practice issues are the biggest thing right now. From what I understand they dont practice very efficiently which isnt too hard to believe with what we see on the field on saturdays with turnovers, penalties, mental mistakes, etc. You play like you practice. I would venture to say that the best teams practices are run with urgency and military like precision.

so what's Bo's excuse having coached at other high profile jobs?....i have trouble believing this as this is basic coaching 101........WTF????

Seriously? If he didn't get fired by losing to IOWA or MInnesota he's not going to be fired at all. Losing to them was humiliating. Georgia has a good football team but look at them! They've had a disappointing season by their standards as well. I hope this is a good old fashion, smash mouth football game. GO BIG RED!!

You are right. After all the humiliating losses, and the ridiculous behavior, the AD still kept Bo. One more blowout loss will not cost Bo his job.

That's not a bold prediction, it's a dumb one

Why anyone would fire their coach after a bowl is beyond me. You lose out on most of the good coaching candidates, you throw a recruiting class down the drain...as an AD your decision better not hinge on one crappy bowl game a month removed from the regular season

Had to +1 that. NU has been getting some nice recruits, and if AA and Gregory come back, Stanton is the real deal and Armstrong looks good, there is a LOT of possibility there. Not to mention two potentially dangerous RB's. Firing Bo at this point would be a complete train wreck. Basically, it would be like Eichorst saying "I don't give a damn about 2014." If Bo can't get it done next year, then you pull the trigger.