Need help....rust

I have a nice Weatherby 30-06 that I used this season for deer season. I got it out yesterday to do some target shooting and noticed that the surface of the barrel has some rust. It is very light and doesn't appear to be anything but on the surface.

After a google search it looks like many suggest lightly rubbing it with 00000 steal wool and oil. They said if you rub lightly you won't damage the bluing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

It's my favorite rifle and I'm rather concerned about it right now.

After a google search it looks like many suggest lightly rubbing it with 00000 steal wool and oil. They said if you rub lightly you won't damage the bluing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes. Buy the finest steel wool available and you won't damage the bluing at all, especially if it's the Weatherby factory bluing.

Had to do the same with my Superposed last fall. Thoroughly cleaned it and oiled it down with RemOil after last season, put it in a moisture control sock, and in a safe with big silica canisters . . . and still had small rust flecks near the rib. About had a heart attack but the fine steel wool did the trick with no damage to the finish.

• 1 month later...