Verizon Fios Internet wireless router does not support N??

I would put your FiOS router/modem in bridge mode if you are using a separate router so you are not double NAT. Also make sure your router's throughput is equal to or greater than your internet connection. I have seen the firewall on routers bottleneck the speed of the internet connection. I usually use sonicwall routers and UniFi Ubiquiti access points but that type of setup can get expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I've been dragging my feet about what to do. Verizon did offer me a fios upgrade 2months free and no contract so I took that. But there is still lagging involved even with a 50/25 upgrade speed.

Since I only know enough about computers and networking to be dangerous; I'm not sure if it's my computer or the wireless router I currently run that is causing the lag. It's the original verizon standard router I've had for 5-6 years, but not N. :)

Actually, I've been dragging my feet about what to do. Verizon did offer me a fios upgrade 2months free and no contract so I took that. But there is still lagging involved even with a 50/25 upgrade speed.

Since I only know enough about computers and networking to be dangerous; I'm not sure if it's my computer or the wireless router I currently run that is causing the lag. It's the original verizon standard router I've had for 5-6 years, but not N. :)

I would go to speedtest.verizon.net and see what kind of speeds you are getting. If you are getting around 20 on download that is about average for wireless. only a couple of times i have seen someone getting the fullspeed on wireless.

Getting 15 and ran the optimizer.

hate to tell you this but the optimizer i have experienced has led to an increase of slower speeds. does your computer see a lot of other networks? if so might want to change the radio channel. how often do you clear the history in the browser? if you can you might want to wire it temporarily to even see if you can get your fullspeeds. how far away are you from the router? is it on a different floor?

I've got a total of 10 devices on my router 4 wireless 3stb's 3 MoCa

2300sf single story house. Router is approx 45-60 ft from my PC cisco valet wireless. there are two bdrms and a bathroom between the router and my PC

45-60 ft is stretching it. you can move that router to wherever you have a stb at. so if you have a stb in the middle from where you have the router and pc just split it off of that stb.

• 1 month later...

..........UPDATE...........SoKal.......

My motherinlaw has been living with us for approx a year now. But she was dutifully paying her verizon and other utilities on time. My wife and one of my sisterinlaw's(power of attorney, executor) of her estate decided to cancel her verizon fios phone/tv/internet service. Freakin' verizon sold her a MI424WR 2 years ago for her system. She had one tv and phone in the same room. Anyway, I grabbed said router and after much hemming and hawwing. VOILA. faster than a speeding Tmagic, more powerful than a Cross fire :)

Anybody wanna buy a Linksys AC1750?