Terry Joseph

I am I

On a tangent:

Heard from a guy who knows TJ well and told a funny story about his time here in Nebraska. Appearntly there was a premier event for the team at the Cornhusker in Lincoln, TJ shows up, already one full season into his Nebraska gig, when he arrives another booster asks him for a cocktail and valet parking thinking he was a staff member of the Cornhusker.

Cultural experiences can really turn people off to places like Nebraska. Nebraska is embarassingly white, I am sure he can feel comfortable in Aggie land at least :(

On a tangent:

Heard from a guy who knows TJ well and told a funny story about his time here in Nebraska. Appearntly there was a premier event for the team at the Cornhusker in Lincoln, TJ shows up, already one full season into his Nebraska gig, when he arrives another booster asks him for a cocktail and valet parking thinking he was a staff member of the Cornhusker.

Cultural experiences can really turn people off to places like Nebraska. Nebraska is embarassingly white, I am sure he can feel comfortable in Aggie land at least :(

Nebraska is embarrassingly white? I hate snow too man, but it's not embarrassing.

If you're not talking about the snow, then I truly don't know what embarrassingly white means.

On a tangent:

Are you f'ing kidding me? What's stopping black folks from living here? Excuse me for this being an agricultural state. Last I checked there's no law keeping a colored guy from being a corn farmer. Been to Omaha lately? True handled that comment a lot better than I did obviously. But whatever. sh#t like that pisses me off. Embarrassingly white. Meh.

On a tangent:

What type of booster wouldn't recognize the secondary coach?

That type of interaction would be just as likely to occur at nearly any college in the country. I don't want to stereotype here, but my assumption is that boosters (i.e., people who can afford to give a lot of money to a football program) probably aren't the most the most diverse group of people.

Between Nebraska and TAMU, if you picked the school that has historically had diversity issues, it wouldn't be Nebraska.

On a tangent: Heard from a guy who knows TJ well and told a funny story about his time here in Nebraska. Appearntly there was a premier event for the team at the Cornhusker in Lincoln, TJ shows up, already one full season into his Nebraska gig, when he arrives another booster asks him for a cocktail and valet parking thinking he was a staff member of the Cornhusker. Cultural experiences can really turn people off to places like Nebraska. Nebraska is embarassingly white, I am sure he can feel comfortable in Aggie land at least :(
What type of booster wouldn't recognize the secondary coach? That type of interaction would be just as likely to occur at nearly any college in the country. I don't want to stereotype here, but my assumption is that boosters (i.e., people who can afford to give a lot of money to a football program) probably aren't the most the most diverse group of people. Between Nebraska and TAMU, if you picked the school that has historically had diversity issues, it wouldn't be Nebraska.

Historically, you may be correct. That being said, A&M is rapidly changing, and the fact that we no longer have a white head coach helps change that image.

On a tangent:

I cant say i believe this story. You're at a Nebraska football event. Its most logical to think a person of color would be part of the team not the help.

• Fire 1

On a tangent:

Are you f'ing kidding me? What's stopping black folks from living here? Excuse me for this being an agricultural state. Last I checked there's no law keeping a colored guy from being a corn farmer. Been to Omaha lately? True handled that comment a lot better than I did obviously. But whatever. sh#t like that pisses me off. Embarrassingly white. Meh.

Go talk to recruits then tell me incidents such as that one do not matter, sorry to hear you took great offense to my observation. Nebraskans do not have to apologize for who they are. I was simply stating Nebraska is prodominantly white, go check the last census, whether a coach or player is comfotable with life here is up to them. Small things matter. Thin skin can be tough to manage, have you tried lotion?

• Fire 1

On a tangent:

Go talk to recruits then tell me incidents such as that one do not matter, sorry to hear you took great offense to my observation. Nebraskans do not have to apologize for who they are. I was simply stating Nebraska is prodominantly white, go check the last census, whether a coach or player is comfotable with life here is up to them. Small things matter. Thin skin can be tough to manage, have you tried lotion?

If you woulda left the "embarrassingly" part out, I would not have reacted the way I did. I even wouldve probably understood your point. But "embarrassingly"? As if it's our fault? And no, I dont live in a box. I do understand that there are still racial sitations in the world. You edit your post, and I'll edit mine.

No, Nebraskans dont have to apologize for who they are. We should just be embarrassed that colored folks dont choose to be corn farmers or cattle ranchers.

Would it be better if he used the word "painfully" instead of "embarrassingly?"

That's what I use when I say it.

Look, these cultural issues aren't manufactured, they happen. There is way more to it than who chooses to farm or ranch. My daughters are 1/2 Latina and I don't want them growing up there. I doubt anyone is burning crosses at this point there is an ingrained thing there. A lot of "harmless fun" that isn't really that harmless.

Look, these cultural issues aren't manufactured, they happen. There is way more to it than who chooses to farm or ranch. My daughters are 1/2 Latina and I don't want them growing up there. I doubt anyone is burning crosses at this point there is an ingrained thing there. A lot of "harmless fun" that isn't really that harmless.

i dont think any word in that context would be correct.

I apologize for my initial anger. I hate it when race is used as reason for anything as well. I'm of conservative nature, but tend to think I have loads of common sense as well. I dont appreciate whatsoever that my home states majority is labeled as embarrasing. Things like that just get my blood pumping a little too quick. But like you said yourself, it's not a manufactured issue, it's just the way it is. I'm not gonna continue this convo here. It's seemed to taken on a political twist, and I know the mods and others dont like that in the football forum. I would love to continue this discussion with anyone in PM however.

i dont think any word in that context would be correct.

I apologize for my initial anger. I hate it when race is used as reason for anything as well. I'm of conservative nature, but tend to think I have loads of common sense as well. I dont appreciate whatsoever that my home states majority is labeled as embarrasing. Things like that just get my blood pumping a little too quick. But like you said yourself, it's not a manufactured issue, it's just the way it is. I'm not gonna continue this convo here. It's seemed to taken on a political twist, and I know the mods and others dont like that in the football forum. I would love to continue this discussion with anyone in PM however.

I don't think he meant it as "it's our fault", the way you took it, but the word embarrassing shouldn't be used. I think, maybe more accurately he could have said, "disappointingly white", which I would agree with. Not disappointed in specific people, but in the situation.

Growing up in any part of Nebraska other than Omaha leads to a lot of cultural ignorance due to demographics. It's not always someone's fault, but it is unfortunate.

• Fire 1

So it seems that many more people of European descent took advantage of the Homestead Act of 1862. The shocking/embarrassing result is that their offspring (mostly of European descent still) is white? Are the urban areas of Detroit embarrassingly black? My outlook is I don't care where you or your ancestors came from or look like. Just abide by the laws, pay your taxes and contribute to society and we will all get along.

White paper black ink! Conspiracy.

Oreo cookies, what up there! Predominantly black bowling balls and white pins, that's a doozy! My point is....... I have no point. We can find what we want to see in any situation with a little manipulation of our thought process. The conversation about how the pie is cut by race isn't anything new to this state. Some things are exactly how they appear to be.