New DB Coach Search

Let's get down to Brass tax! Who's marvelous Marvin bringing with him? Does he have a couple Deion Sanders type DBs at his current school? Is there any D1 talent on his roster that we instantly become intriguing to with our hiring of Marvin the Magnificent? Anyone in the know please elaborate!

I prefer Brass tacks myself.

swear to god that's how I spelt it

Hmmm...spell check from tacks to tax? Not sure I'm believing that. Just bustin ya. lol

P.S. Guessing you spelt spelled wrong on purpose, right?

spelt is accepted vernacular! Threw that in there to keep ya going.

Does this brass tax you speak of provide us the type of french benefits this program needs!?!?

I like the idea of fans putting out names of former players that have no coaching experience.

Either way, we need to hire someone who wants to stay more than 1 season.

This can/will happen when we start paying these assistants what they are deserving of. Corey Raymond would have never left (just an assumption of course) if we would have at least matched what LSU was going to pay him. Joseph, in my opinion, was here to find a bigger gig. I think he knew he was leaving, and that is why our recruiting in the secondary wasn't all that good this year. For him being a high profile secondary coach, and us having a good track record under Bo with sending DB/CB's to the NFL, you would assume we would do quite well in that department of recruiting.

Another way of keeping a guy here, is hire someone with Nebraska ties and a connection with the program. Coach Shaver would be nice, but if he leaves USU for us, I would believe the same thing would happen here as well. So far two SEC schools have gone after our secondary coaches. This is a good sign that we get good assistants, but a bad sign we can't keep them. Whether they are unhappy or not being paid enough, we need to do something about it.

I like the idea of fans putting out names of former players that have no coaching experience.

Either way, we need to hire someone who wants to stay more than 1 season.

This can/will happen when we start paying these assistants what they are deserving of. Corey Raymond would have never left (just an assumption of course) if we would have at least matched what LSU was going to pay him. Joseph, in my opinion, was here to find a bigger gig. I think he knew he was leaving, and that is why our recruiting in the secondary wasn't all that good this year. For him being a high profile secondary coach, and us having a good track record under Bo with sending DB/CB's to the NFL, you would assume we would do quite well in that department of recruiting.

Another way of keeping a guy here, is hire someone with Nebraska ties and a connection with the program. Coach Shaver would be nice, but if he leaves USU for us, I would believe the same thing would happen here as well. So far two SEC schools have gone after our secondary coaches. This is a good sign that we get good assistants, but a bad sign we can't keep them. Whether they are unhappy or not being paid enough, we need to do something about it.

Corey Raymond is a LSU alum so if they were to offer him even just a little bit more to coach at his alma mater, I think he leaves no matter what. I also don't think anyone misses him, he didn't seem to do a good job IMO.

I think it is a bit funny that everyone keeps saying that NU doesn't pay top dollar for it's Assistant Coaches or that NU won't give pay increases to retain these coaches. Tim Beck is the 11th highest paid Assistant FB Coach in the nation in 2013 at $700K per year. He was making $376/yr in 2012 and Bo got him a big raise to retain him. Overall NU has the 23rd highest Assistant Coaching Salary pool at $2.648mm/yr. Only Michigan, $3.072mm/yr, and OSU, $3.474mm/yr, in the B1G pay more money to their assitants. Another interesting fact about NU's Assistant Coaches salary pool is that it is in general a bit more evenly spread as they are all over $200K, Beck is the real only outlier. This means that many of the assitants on NU's staff make a decent bit more than other school assistant coaches for the 22 schools with bigger pay pools, many at Louisville for instance, #22 on the list, make in the low $100K range. You can check this great database USA has for yourself, it is pretty cool: http://www.usatoday....caaf/assistant/.

Bottom line, Bo could have, and may have for all we know, offered Joseph a competitive mid to high $300K salary similar to what his getting from aTm. I think Joseph wanted to get back South and I am also guessing that Bo feels that while TJ is a good coach, he can get someone of equal or better coaching talent. I like TJ, but frankly his recruiting wasn't a good as it was supposed to be. For his recruiting results I would rather get an A+ coach like Marvin.

• Fire 1

I think it is a bit funny that everyone keeps saying that NU doesn't pay top dollar for it's Assistant Coaches or that NU won't give pay increases to retain these coaches. Tim Beck is the 11th highest paid Assistant FB Coach in the nation in 2013 at $700K per year. He was making $376/yr in 2012 and Bo got him a big raise to retain him. Overall NU has the 23rd highest Assistant Coaching Salary pool at $2.648mm/yr. Only Michigan, $3.072mm/yr, and OSU, $3.474mm/yr, in the B1G pay more money to their assitants. Another interesting fact about NU's Assistant Coaches salary pool is that it is in general a bit more evenly spread as they are all over $200K, Beck is the real only outlier. This means that many of the assitants on NU's staff make a decent bit more than other school assistant coaches for the 22 schools with bigger pay pools, many at Louisville for instance, #22 on the list, make in the low $100K range. You can check this great database USA has for yourself, it is pretty cool: http://www.usatoday....caaf/assistant/.

Bottom line, Bo could have, and may have for all we know, offered Joseph a competitive mid to high $300K salary similar to what his getting from aTm. I think Joseph wanted to get back South and I am also guessing that Bo feels that while TJ is a good coach, he can get someone of equal or better coaching talent. I like TJ, but frankly his recruiting wasn't a good as it was supposed to be. For his recruiting results I would rather get an A+ coach like Marvin.

I didn't realize we were top 25, but prior to this year, we didn't pay a lot. Tim Beck, overpaid IMO. WAAAAYYYY overpaid.

I think we both feel the same way about Joseph. I was wondering if I was the only one who expected more out of him. I also think he was wanting to go back south, as stated before. Stepping stone is what he saw here. As for Marvin Sanders, I would love to have him back, but it seems there were some issues behind doors that we may never know truly about. Its a shame, but there are a lot of talented secondary coaches we can go after and CAN get. Its time for Bo to get a GOOD staff under him. Starting with the secondary coaching position and next, special teams/tight ends coach.

If Petrino can go back to Louisville, then Marvin should be able to come back to Nebraska. Oh and BTW, Vance Bedford d-coordinator and db coach at Louisville to Texas. Means Duane Akina should be available. Thoughts on Akina?

Not really the same as Petrino didn't get "fired" from Louisville.

Was kind of thinking Austin Cassidy myself based on the description. Seems kind of a big step for a guy who just got done playing. Also, need to remember that position coaches don't really have to have to played said position. Lots of cases of guys coaching multiple position groups throughout their career.

If Petrino can go back to Louisville, then Marvin should be able to come back to Nebraska. Oh and BTW, Vance Bedford d-coordinator and db coach at Louisville to Texas. Means Duane Akina should be available. Thoughts on Akina?

He'd be a great get, one I'd hope SE would loosen-up the pursestrings for. He's one of the top db-coaches in the country and his recruting ties would really help.

I am not going to get into what may or may not have happened on Marvin's departure, but I do know that he and Ron Brown were the only 2 guys that I desperately wanted Bo to hire and to keep on staff forever. In fact, I would have been fine with either one of them eventually becoming HC material.

As mentioned on 1620, Marvin and Bo are very, very close, but Marvin is in California in a very good situation, making good money, living near beach......... would he be interested in coming back to a place where the HC is pressumably on the hot-seat going into next year ? Marvin may say thanks but no thanks.....sit back, coach big time HS in Cally, enjoy weather.

I would love Marvin, just not sure it will happen. Although many so-called media close to Husker football keep throwing his name around.

Great, great points. Would love to have Marvin back, too, but you nailed it on the head. He probably won't be back.

Was kind of thinking Austin Cassidy myself based on the description. Seems kind of a big step for a guy who just got done playing. Also, need to remember that position coaches don't really have to have to played said position. Lots of cases of guys coaching multiple position groups throughout their career.

Where did this rumor come from, 1620? What description was given?