SIGNED WR Jariah Tolbert

Pulling this post from the other thread on Jariah Tolbert to try and pump a little sunshine into this thread. With players like Speedy Noil, Gerald Willis, and our own Jaevon Walton, this is definitely high praise. Welcome, Tolbert.

From his coach at Edna Carr.

“Of all my guys, Jariah has the biggest upside,” Jones said. “You’re talking about a guy who could be a 4.4 wide receiver who could weigh as much as 220 pounds. He’s a big, vertical, downfield receiver. He’ll fit in well in the Big Ten.”

-Remember he coaches the #1 ATH in the nation who also plays WR.

I like his build. I wanted to see him blocking in his HUTL but they didn't show any of that. Definitely has the build that we need.

Seems like a nice option at WR. I watched a bit of his highlight video and I liked how he caught almost all of the passes with his hands. He snatches the ball and brings it right to his body.

This is a big key. He can get stronger and (hopefully) faster. But to try to train him to catch the ball in his hands a this point is probably a lost cause.

Tolbert doesn't run a 4.87 lmao.

It was electronic timed at a SPARQ combine last summer. I suppose you flew down to Louisiana with your 40 electronic machine timer and recorded a different time? What did you clock him at?

Since there is no way he increased his speed over the course of the year at all.

I clocked him at the same speed your brain apparently works: 0.

I admit, this quip made me laugh. +1

Tolbert doesn't run a 4.87 lmao.

It was electronic timed at a SPARQ combine last summer. I suppose you flew down to Louisiana with your 40 electronic machine timer and recorded a different time? What did you clock him at?

Since there is no way he increased his speed over the course of the year at all.

I clocked him at the same speed your brain apparently works: 0.

You realize that kids just don't drop .4 seconds off their 40 just by getting 6 months older and doing a few squats in the weight room. Of course he can get faster, but it is quite marginal. A dramatic improvement would be -.1 or -.15 seconds. So let's say he worked his ass off, matured a little bit, that still puts him at the 4.77 range.

Look, there are things to like about him. He uses his body well, which isn't always guaranteed for all big WR. He seems to have pretty good hands, but we don't know that for sure because WR isn't going to put drops on his highlight film. But no one can right minded put his speed or athleticism on the top of this kid's list.

I didn't say he ran a 4.4 did I? I just said he doesn't run a 4.87.

Also, as a HS kid, if you've never ran the 40 previously, if you mess with mechanics a bit its easy to shave off some time just due to that. Nope he is at the top of the list because he is 6'4 and can snag the ball out of the air.

If he is raw it is very possible he had very poor technique in his 40. He could have gotten marginally faster over the season and improved his technique. I agree he runs better than a 4.87. That being said, definitely not a speedster.

Every year, it seems that Bo and Co. pull in a recruit that has a lot of people scratching their heads, and they end up being solid players. Leroy Alexander was one IIRC, and he is turning out pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boaz Joseph on the field at CB next year either. I trust this staff's judgment on guys like this.

• Fire 1

Every year, it seems that Bo and Co. pull in a recruit that has a lot of people scratching their heads, and they end up being solid players. Leroy Alexander was one IIRC, and he is turning out pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boaz Joseph on the field at CB next year either. I trust this staff's judgment on guys like this.

Cethan Carter was under the radar too.